Night Terrors

iVillage Member
Night Terrors
Wed, 07-14-2010 - 7:09pm

Kayla gets night terrors every once in a while. She had one last night. I just read up on them because we thought originally that she was just having bad dreams. The interesting thing is that when it happens, children are not having nightmares. It's when they slip from stage 3 to stage 4 of sleep. It usually happens 90 minutes into sleep and one cause is sleep deprivation. I know for a fact that's what causes it with Kayla because it only happens when she's up early, doesn't nap, and goes to bed late. Sure enough, last night she went to bed at 10pm and it happened at exactly 11:30.

We're staying in a motel room and her and I shared a bed last night and my husband was in the next bed. We both saw the whole episode first hand and it is really scary. Usually we leave her alone at home and it stops but we never go in her room to check on her because it's always quick. Last night lasted so long and him and I were both witnessing it with the lights on. OMG, very scary. Imagine your child screaming at the top of their lungs, eyes wide open thrashing around, breathing heavy and there's nothing you can do to console them. My husband wanted to take her to the hospital it was so bad.

She's napping right now thank god so it won't happen again tonight but I hear they peak at around 3 and a half and the child never remembers them the next morning because they're not

Photobucket
iVillage Member
In reply to: ddonna734
Wed, 07-14-2010 - 7:22pm
I haven't had that experience but I think that Nik has the night terrors but I've never witnessed it!

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-14-2010 - 10:35pm

Yes, BB has had them... he'd have them perdiocially when he was little and then they went away for a while..... he's had a couple in the last few months and I think they've been because of being over tired like you mentioned. It is scary & hard to watch..... usually for us we turn the lights on and I sit there for a few and then I leave and then he seems to call for me and come out of it some how when I come back in...

GOOD LUCK!

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-16-2010 - 4:16pm
My middle son used to have them, I think he was actually younger than our BB's when it happened. Oddly enough BB has been waking up in the middle of the night with a similar thing though. We think he is having leg and or foot cramps, he wakes up crying and nothing we've tried yet seems to help. He eventually calms down and goes back to sleep but it's terrible. We rub his legs / feet, I push his foot up towards his leg in case it's a cramp in his calf. Gonna talk to the ped when we go next month.
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-31-2010 - 11:17pm

Awww... how scary!

Photobucket