2013 Goals - Week 2

iVillage Member
2013 Goals - Week 2
Mon, 01-07-2013 - 9:02am

I guess I'll start it this week - What are goals and how are you doing?

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-07-2013 - 9:24am

So I wasn't ready to start last week,  - I hate starting midweek!  I'm ready now though!!

I tend to do well with weight watchers - I don't like eliminating any kind of food in general - just keep to moderation.

Goal 1:  Exercise -  I'm hoping to get in a 20 minute walk everyday at lunch and maybe something either Saturday or Sunday - give myself one day off.  During the week it's tough - I get up at 5:00,  I only have a half hour for lunch,  and when I get home I'm alone with the kids until 5:30,  then it's dinner bath bedtime - and I can't work out at night.  Harry's still too young to let me use the Elliptical machine so unless it's nice enough for a walk in the afternoon (and not dark)  lunchtime is it!!  The worst part is there is a free fully equipped gym at my disposal across the street,  but I just don't have enough time to use it!!

Goal 2:  Lose weight!!  We are going to the beach in NC at the end of March so that's the first goal and I'd like to keep things up after that.  I would love to get back to pre-baby weight,  but I'm not sure if that's possible.  My total goal is about 35-40 lbs,  I'll be happy with about 15-20 by vacation. 

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-07-2013 - 1:55pm

Andrea-I agree that start mid-week is next to impossible.  I totally understand how impossible it is to squeeze in a little extra time for exercise.  And I can't exercise regularly in the evenings either.  That's my down time & I need it to just be quiet.  Just curious how early you go to bed when you get up at 5am?  Cool that you have beach motivation too!  I think that's the best kind.  :) 

Yesterday I actually went for a walk up the hill, only 20 minutes-but I got out.  It was very sad though-I really miss having a dog.  There are 2 chocolate lab puppies on craigslist for only $25 right now.  I really really really really want one.  Yes-I'm posting this here why?  I dunno.  This morning I got up & walked on the treadmill & then ate my veggie breakfast.  Unfortunately it's only 9am & I am hungry today.  Think I'll have a slice of turkey & see if that holds me over. 

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-07-2013 - 2:17pm
Laura, I'm usually in bed around between 9 and 9:30, pretty sad, but when I get up at 5 that's about as late as I can handle!!

I thought you had planned on getting a new dog - are you waiting until the weather is a little warmer?

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-07-2013 - 3:17pm
Andrea-Thanks for the sleep info-if I start exercising at 5:30am I'll probably have to start heading to bed at that time now too. Ugh. We are going to get a new dog-but we had hoped to wait until April (or May). We are going for spring break for a week in April & would like to skip the kennel payment & would hate to have a dog all potty trained & then send it to the kennel for a week & have it forget everything. And-during ski season it would be really hard to have a puppy-when we leave at 7:30am & don't get back until after 6pm that's too long for a puppy. We could probably find someone to come let it out occasionally-but just another expense. Or we could leave it outside if the weather isn't too cold-but that's just a really long day for a baby dog. :)

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-07-2013 - 3:35pm
Ok, I'm on track for day 1. :) Laura, what is your veggie breakfast? Today I had 2 eggs scrambled with peppers, onions and bacon, sprinkled with a little cheddar cheese. It was really good. And, I wasn't hungry by lunch time, and ended up eating only about 3/4 of my salad. I dont like to skip, because I know I need to eat to lose, but i just wasn't hungry. I also had a clementine at lunch............... My goals for this week are to try really hard to low carb it. We still have cookies and such sitting around here, and I'd LOVE to have one right now, but I know if I'm really strict with myself the first couple weeks, then moderation is much easier for me after that. So I might let me have one or two this week, but I'm going to try to hold it at that..................I also need to exercise..... at least 3 days, but hopefully more. Oh, and more water. At least 60 oz for now. Hoping to up that in the next couple weeks. I try to drink a bottle of water (20 oz) before I leave for school, then another at school before lunch. Those 2 are pretty easy. (I do the first 20 oz before I eat breakfast, as I dont usually eat until 8 but get up and get me and the kids ready before then) I try to do one more between lunch and coming home from school, but that one is harder to get in. After I do better at that, then I'll work on the another one between home and bed. I do drink other things though, mostly iced tea. I'm going to try to limit pop anymore too. Yikes, lots of things to do...
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-07-2013 - 9:06pm
Lori-Good job. I posted the veggie breakfast last week. It is from Costco & I LOVE it. Even DH said it's good. Here's the link.

http://www.garden-lites.com/

I tried the paragraph thing for Hilarie-so maybe it will work. :) I've been drinking a lot of water lately too. When I exercise 1st thing in the morning it makes me really thirsty so I drink a lot right away.

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-07-2013 - 9:53pm

I'm just getting to this - busy day!

My goal for this week is to exercise 5 days. But, if the kids keep up with the c25k, I'll have 6 workouts automatically. Too bad they're all running! (3 of my runs, 3 of the kids' "runs")

Today I ran almost 60 minutes. Wait - let me clarify - I was OUT 58 minutes. I walked a TON. I did worse than last time, but I was sore. At least I went out for a while - good to get myself going for longer walks/runs at least.

I also gave up diet pepsi again, as of last week. So I guess that's another goal. I hate that I love it so much - it's so unhealthy and a waste of money! :(

Laura, yay for the quick weight loss (even if you did cheat with a beer)!! I bet you do miss the dog for walks, etc. Sorry. A puppy will be wonderful in late spring/summer!

Andrea, good luck finding time. It sounds like a tough schedule to fit exercise in. Could you take an extra 30 minutes for lunch (go in earlier)? Or is that the only schedule that works with the kids' schedules?

Lori, good luck with the low carbing (and avoiding those yummy snacks) and getting more water. I, too, find that if I work out first thing in the morning that I'm thirstier. I've been feeling dehydrated the last few days, even drinking 80+ oz water!

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-08-2013 - 7:07am
Well, I did well yesterday and I didn't even feel starved during the day. My hardest time is mid morning. When I eat breakfast 5:30 lunchtime is a long way away!!! I usually plan for a snack around 9 or so.

Hilarie, I already get up at 5 - in order to drop off Harry and get into the office by 6:30 I don't know if I could handle getting up any earlier ( the earliest I could drop off Harry is 6 anyway). I have to leave by 3 to get home in time for Phoebe's bus, so there's no wiggle time in the afternoon. Are the girls working out with you?

Laura - whenever we got a new dog as kids it was always in the summer. My parents were teachers so we were all home in the summer - it was much easier to train a dog!!

Lori - sounds like you have started out on the right foot - I agree if I can make it through the first couple of e weeks it's much easier to maintain habits after that!!

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-08-2013 - 8:33am
I must say I get really tired of low carb breakfasts. I was reading something that said you can lose about as much weight eating carbs for breakfast and then low carbing it the rest of the day as you can totally low carbing. So I think I might try that. I need more options for breakfasts. I meant to put apple cinnamon oatmeal in the crock last night (trying something new), but I completely forgot, so maybe tomorrow................. I did well yesterday. The only bad part was the loaded baked potato soup for dinner. I think I ate too much, I know its nowhere near low carb, but it was SO good. I did walk on the treadmill for 20 minutes (SO boring!) and then did pushups. Speaking of which, I know when you lift weights, you're supposed to rest a day in between, but what about push ups and crunches? I think I'd like to do them most days. And it really sucks that I'm SO out of shape! Tonight I hope to dance as cardio. Way more fun than the treadmill........................... Wow Hilarie, thats a lot of running, but I think its great the girls are doing c25k. Brenna and I are *kinda* doing this together. She'd like to lose about 15 lbs, and wants to get toned. I have a feeling I'm going to have to keep pushing her if she really wants to do it, lol..................Laura, thats super early for breakfast. I eat at 8, but my lunch is at 11. So for me its the afternoon. I have a yogurt packed for a snack this afternoon. (I dont have time for one on Mondays.)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-08-2013 - 11:17am

Sounds like everyone is doing great this week!  WHoooooooooo hooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to eat a slice of toast with lunch yesterday-the low carb thing really starts to mess with me after about 5 days.  It tasted soooo good!  And this morning I had a smoothie with fruit in it-I really needed a banana.  I figure if a piece of toast & a banana kill me then it's not the right meal plan for me-right?  I got up this morning & rode the bike & walked for a bit on the treadmill-both are getting boring-after just a week-so glad I'm going to try something different.  I also talked to the trainer at Crossfit last night & he sounds wonderful.  He has kids that are 7 & 5 so almost the same as me.  We talked for about 20 minutes & I felt really comfortable with him.  I'm going to have an introductory class tomorrow at 7pm.  They said we'll do an 8 minute "class" and I will be sore after it.  Aaak!  But I am excited. 

Pages