2013 Goals (Week 3)

iVillage Member
2013 Goals (Week 3)
Mon, 01-14-2013 - 6:59am

I wanted to start this one first so its under the chatter thread.  :)  I know, anal of me....

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-16-2013 - 9:14am

Got up & went to CrossFit again this morning.  It was good.  The workout of the day was supposed to be overhead snatches-but I'm not that good-so I got to do 100 overhead squats holding a little dowel above my head for time.  It took me 10:21 to do it.  It sure isn't pretty-but I got it done.  Been keeping my food journal too & that seems to be going well. 

Hope everyone else has a good day. 

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-16-2013 - 12:25pm

Got my walk in yesterday, it was quite a bit colder than it has been! Today I managed to get in a decent workout on the elliptical machine since DH and were both home this morning. Nice to do something different and get it done in the morning too.

Laura, I'm glad you're liking the gym, it's nice that you can adjust your membership if needed.

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-17-2013 - 11:45am

Laura, Crossfit sounds really great. Someday I'll think about it seriously. In a lot of ways I do better on my own, but someone else would probably push me harder than I do myself.

Andrea, you have an elliptical at home? That's nice, for those cold days!

I walked today, instead of running, for a couple of reasons:
1) first time using the new shoes (after I swapped them)
2) my body is tired of running
3) I had a theory about speeds. So here's the thing (on my first power walk, so I assume I'll get faster) - my run/walk time is about 12.5 - 13 minute miles. (Yes, that's sad. It did include my cool-down, so I guess it might be just a bit faster.) Well, I walked 4.5 miles today with an average time of 13.5 minute miles. And I felt fine and didn't feel like dying.
So I'm wondering if it's worth it to try to keep running or if I should just focus on walking?? I will do this half marathon in 5 weeks - I'm just not sure if I should kill myself trying to "run" it or not...

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-17-2013 - 3:37pm

Hilarie-I had that same realization many many years ago.  That when I tried to jog I would get exhausted & then I'd have to stop & walk (at a slower pace than my normal walk) so when I just walked I was actually faster & my ankle never hurts when I walk-but always hurts when I jog.  Hope it goes well. 

Andrea-Glad you got to exercise at home. 

I walked this morning on the treadmill & am doing well on my food for the day.  I finally dropped another pound (I'd been stuck for like a week it seems).  So-down I'm down 8 from the start of the year.  Yippie! 

My mom always used to tell me to envision 1 pound of fat equals 1 pound of butter.  So-if you take 4 sticks of butter off of your thighs or butt or whatever it's a lot.  Sometimes 1 pound just doesn't seem like much-so I love that image.  Same with thinking of a 10 lb bag of sugar & how heavy it is & how much work it would be to carry that around all day every day. 

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-17-2013 - 6:59pm

Laura, that is a great thing to remember!

I'm considering doing Alli. Many years ago I was on the rx stuff from the dr. It helped. I wouldnt do it if I was still eating a bunch of crap, but since I'm eating better, maybe just a little extra help would do the trick. I just have SO much to lose, this super slow pace is not going keep the motivation going. I know slow is good, but it cant be quite this slow. We'll see when I get paid again....

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-18-2013 - 7:21am
Morning Ladies, Yesterday was nuts - only managed to get in a 15 minute walk, but I was running around all day so hopefully that will add up a bit.

Hilarie, Yes we have an elliptical machine at home. It's actually a pretty nice one too - I bought it off someone here at West Point before they moved and it is worth it. It's really great when the weather isn't conducive to exercise. I'm in total agreement about running - I feel like I get so much more out of walking at a good pace. I have an ankle that I sprained when I was in high school and if I run on it it flares up, but walking doesn't bother it.

Lori, I haven't heard much about Alli - do you know anyone who has tried it?

Laura, When I used to go to Weight Watchers meetings they used the butter analogy for a pound and for ten pounds it was a bag of potatoes. It definitely helps put things in perspective.

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-18-2013 - 9:26am

Andrea-That is so funny about your ankle-that is EXACTLY what happened to me & how I am.  Were you playing soccer when you hurt your ankle?  That would be too funny. 

Lori-I have just seen ads for Alli-but don't know anyone who has done it.  I would ask around some before starting.  I had a friend who did the injection thing a few years ago that was so popular-I can't even remember what it was called.  She lost a ton of weight & looked really good-but now she is bigger than she was before.  But I think she never figured out how to eat healthy food & portion control & things like that. 

I slept in today.  I was just going to exercise in the basement-but I was up with Lacey (and her cough) many many times last night.  When the alarm went off DH said, "Why don't you sleep in & exercise at noon & I'll make our lunch when I get home."  Aaaahhh-I love that guy.  :) 

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-18-2013 - 6:12pm
Awww Laura, that was so nice of your dh! I'm not sure I know anyone who as done Alli, but I have done the prescription stuff. I was successful with it, but my insurance didn't cover it, and it was really expensive, so I couldn't keep taking it. And I wanted to ask if you could post a typical day from your food journal? I just wonder what everyone else eats in a typical day (especially skinny people).
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-18-2013 - 7:36pm

Lori-Here is what a typical day for me has looked like this week-this was Tuesday...

Greek yogurt & strawberries  140 cal,  Granola  160, Salad (lettuce, spinach, avacado, turkey, dressing & cheese) 350 calories (most of the time I break down where each of the sub calories comes from-but I didn't this day), Cheese stick 50, Celery & Peanut butter 70, Salmon burger 170, cheese 80, flat bun 100, baked beans 170, peas 70, and ending with a Guinness at 210.  for a total of 1570 for the day. 

I am usually about 300ish calories for breakfast & another 100 or so for a morning snack.  Lunch is in the 400 range.  Dinner about 500ish.  I know that should really be backwards & have the most for breakfast-but this has been working for me.  I'd love to see how other people do it. 

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-18-2013 - 9:12pm
Here's my day today, although I don't know the calorie count since I do points instead. Breakfast: multigrain light english muffin with a smear of peanut butter Morning snack: Banana and plain oatmeal Lunch: Venison chili with a little bit of rice, clementine, and vanilla greek yogurt Afternoon snack: clementine Dinner: Tamale pie( cooking light recipe), salsa, fat free refried beans, broccoli, mango Dessert: 2 gingersnaps with tea