Daily Chatter 1-21-13

iVillage Member
Daily Chatter 1-21-13
Mon, 01-21-2013 - 8:22am

Morning.  Happy MLK day.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-24-2013 - 4:35pm
Laura, DH asked about fostering dogs. Can you get assignments where you keep "normal" (not high-maintenance old/messy) dogs for a few weeks? I don't even know about puppies, since they'd be peeing on my carpets. But I'd love to just take "normal" dogs in for a short time (and DH sounded like he'd be up for that). Actually, I REALLY REALLY want a dog now, since I was looking at pictures again today. Oh, I miss doggy love!!!!

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-24-2013 - 5:50pm
Our shelter usually won't let you take "normal" dogs. They only do fostering for puppies (they have to be 8 weeks old to be adopted out because they spay/neuter everything before it leaves), sick dogs (usually a dog that has had surgery & needs time to rehab before it gets adopted), or dogs that have been at the shelter for a really long time & need a break from that environment. But-you should ask-if they are overcrowded at any given time they may be willing to do short term fostering. Our shelter is rarely crowded & they regularly bring in dogs from other areas. The other time they foster dogs are the ones who have been involved in hoarding cases that have yet to go to trial. They can't adopt out the dogs until after the trial is over & so they occasionally get a batch of 60 dogs or something & need temporary placements for them-but they are all usually really messed up...I would avoid them for the most part.

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-24-2013 - 7:18pm
Just wanted to say that so far I'm not a huge fan of the 8 year-old version of my child. I'm trying to remember it's a *#$&ing early out day so that always makes things worse. I need to "tag" DH & tell him that it's his turn & I'm going out for a walk.

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-24-2013 - 9:32pm

Hi all.

Hilarie, ugh to the last minute notice about the project! Thats a little ridiculous. Cute puppy! I hope you have a working dishwasher now.

Laura, happy birthday to Calla! LOL at not being a big fan of the new 8 year old. ;) Does the neighbor girl ski?

Andrea, I hope you get better sleep tonight.

I feel like I had no time to do anything. Worked at school until after 4, then back to pick up Livi at 5. Thankfully I threw dinner in the crock this morning, so we came home, ate, then Alexis and I went to the store. (My dad is coming back this weekend and I needed something to fix for dinner Saturday evening.) Got home, unpacked, washed dishes and it was already 8:30. Went to look for a baby pic of me for a bulletin board I'm doing at school. Opened my mom's closet downstairs and had more tears. I didn't expect that to happen, as I've been in there many times. Sigh... Didnt even find a pic after that. Now I'm finally sitting down, and its time for bed.

Have you heard the song Blessings by Laura Story? It came on my ipod while I was washing dishes. One line says "what if healing comes through tears". I guess I haven't really listened to the lyrics real close before, and this time that line really spoke to me. I guess its ok to still be crying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CSVqHcdhXQ
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-24-2013 - 10:02pm

LOL Laura. Sorry 8 isn't great - so far....

We got Megan's project done tonight, and I think it turned out great. I told her to write down 10 pictures that would go with her report (which I haven't read, so it's difficult for me to "help"!). She wrote down 8, then we searched Bing images for those 8 pictures & she picked the exact ones she wanted for each. I printed them, she arranged them on the poster board, and I glued them down for her. I have a feeling the teacher will think I did it all (because it looks really good), but it was really all Megan's idea/plan. I'm proud of the work she did! (And hopefully it's what the teacher wants since we were given very little instruction/time!)

I'm glad it's almost Friday. No real reason - just ready for a weekend!

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-24-2013 - 10:05pm
Sorry, Lori - I guess I didn't refresh after you posted. Yes, tears are normal and to be expected. I don't think I cry about my step-dad very often anymore, but I still do sometimes. Over 7 years later. And we weren't anywhere near as close as you were to your mom. Loss is just plain hard...as is change...

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-24-2013 - 10:10pm
Oh, and no, the dishwasher isn't "done". DH connected everything and ran a test cycle (empty). There was slight dripping on the front where the water hose runs IN. But he said it's really difficult to reach to tighten, so he didn't get back to it tonight (he has to get up before 4:00am, so it was an early night). Theoretically I could fill/run it (because it ran once already with little leakage), but I'll probably just leave the dishes piled one more day...

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-25-2013 - 7:33am
Morning, I survived yesterday - I don't think I had a break until after 7 last night. Needless to say I was exhausted and in bed early. Everyone slept well last night though so I feel much better this morning. On top of that it's FRIDAY!!!! So how bad can it be??

Laura, LOL to not liking your new 8 year old!! We get a day like that every once and awhile too! Hopefully today will be better.

Lori, Don't worry about the tears, it's only been a few months. I still cry sometimes when I think about my best friend and she died 15 years ago!! Mostly when I think about things she never got to experience because she died too young.

Hilarie, Sounds like the project worked out okay - even with the short notice. Too bad about the dishwasher, but at least it will be ready soon!!

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-25-2013 - 8:20am

Andrea, glad you survived.  Sounds like a busy/long day! 

A picture of the girls with Megan's project.  The blank space in the corner is where she says her report will be attached.

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-25-2013 - 12:28pm
Okay just a few minutes to vent, every month I have to reconcile and approve my credit card for work - then hand it over to my supervisor for final approval. Well, due to changes in personnel, and delays in training etc, my direct supervisor has yet to complete a final approval - the alternate has been doing it. Anyway, I finished my part Tuesday morning and my supervisor has 3 days from then to complete his part - he still hasn't done it and wants me to sit with him at 2:00 this afternoon to go through it with him - I have no clue what his part entails and nothing like leaving it til the last minute!!!! On top of that he asked me if I plan on leaving at 3 today - um isn't that when I always leave? (He was conveniently in my office when parents called to tell me they would be here in time to get Phoebe off the bus this afternoon.) I don't mind staying a few minute slate, but it is Friday after all - who wants to stay late Friday?

I feel better now!!

Hilarie, the project looks great! I'm glad it went better than expected.