Daily Chatter 12-31-2012

iVillage Member
Daily Chatter 12-31-2012
Mon, 12-31-2012 - 9:21am

All right....I'll start it....again...

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-31-2012 - 9:23am
LOL!!! I've been watching for an hour for someone to start, darn it all!! LOL!!!!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-31-2012 - 9:25am

And I can't post any more because it's snowing and we HAVE to go to work today.

More later! I'll be LOLing about this all day, hehe!

Wendi

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-31-2012 - 10:44am

Morning all.  I have now completely forgotten what I read last night before bed, so sorry if I don't comment on things.

Wendi-Have a good day at work.  Will T go with you?  Hope he's not bored. 

Hilarie-Glad you had a good time at the zoo, and I had to laugh at your mom not listening to you about what to wear.  ;)  Sometimes parents just don't listen to us very well-just like our kids.  Are you working today?  I can't remember.

Lori-I have to log back in all the time too, it is a giant pain.  Sounds like a good day there & so glad that the pool table is being used so much.  That's wonderful.  We got a ping pong table topper for our pool table from my parents (their old one with a new net & paddles), but there wasn't room to bring it home with us.  My parents will bring it to us when they come visit in March.  Should be fun to have. 

We were going to ski today, but I needed another day at home.  Our Christmas presents are still a huge mess all over the living room, right where we dropped them when we unloaded the car yesterday.  Ugh.  I want to undecorate Christmas stuff, and get cleaned up today.  Wish me luck. 

Thanks for the input on the goals for this year.  Do you think we should start a new thread weekly about the goals?  Or just one thread that will last for the entire month?  Let me know what you think. 

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-31-2012 - 10:53am

No, I don't have to work today. Thank goodness. :)

Wendi, I was going to cancel this thread, but you posted on it again. I was laughing, too. What are the odds?? Good luck with work today! I hope you don't have to stay too long.

Laura, I hope you can get everything settled quickly so your home feels peaceful again. Bummer that you have to wait until March for the ping pong topper, but that will be fun.

I'd think maybe a weekly thread for goals? But should the goals be DAILY? So we'd check in every day and say if we made our goals for the prior day and set new goals for the new day? Or weekly goals? Either way. And if they're weekly goals, maybe we only need a monthly thread? I don't know...

Today we're going to go play tourist in St. Augustine. My mom has been antsy all morning. I figured after lunch was easier. I HATE trying to pick a restaurant with my mom (the vegetarian), the kids (esp the picky one) and me (gluten-free). So much easier to just eat first, then go. She just took off for a walk, and I'm DYING for a diet pepsi (which DH was supposed to buy me yesterday but "forgot", even though he bought himself 3 different sodas!), so I might beg the kids to let us run to the store and buy some. :)

I really wish I had this time off work without my mom here. So many projects I'd like to be working on, but I'm getting nothing done at all. Sucks. I mean, I'm glad my mom's here, but maybe she could take the kids out and give me a few hours break? She won't even put the kids to bed at night. She's really not into "helping" so much.

What are you all doing for NYE? Will you stay up until midnight? Will your kids (try)?

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-31-2012 - 2:19pm
Howdy----been a cleaning fiend this morning.................... Wendi, how much snow are you supposed to get? I think we're supposed to get more again sometime this week. They're talking possible snow days, but................................ Hilarie, I hope your mom gives you a little break. We're having kids over (I think 9 total, but 7 are Ali's friends (Brenna will hang with them tonight because all her friends are busy or away), and 1 each for Maddy and Livi). They will definitely stay up til midnight. We always do. Our tradition is homemade pizzas (my great aunt makes), then pork and sour kraut at midnight. Yep, we eat it at midnight, lol. Then I think maybe a few kids are staying over, but most will probably go home. Have fun in St Augustine....................... Laura, I de-Christmased today. I decided at the last minute to do that. I feel better, especially since we go back to school Weds. Now I dont have to spend all day tomorrow taking things down and getting things cleaned up. I think a weekly thread might be good. I'm thinking we can make weekly goals (or even monthly), but also daily to keep us on track. Like, I might want to walk 3x a week this month, but for today maybe just 20 minutes. Then I can post tomorrow if I made it. I hate posting when I do badly, so maybe that will help?........................... Not much else going on here. I'm tired. Sore from shoveling yesterday, then crazy cleaning this morning. Oh, and we were up til 10 last night setting up the surround sound. Dh stopped just as I was getting it out, and I had him run the wires under the floor for the surround speakers (I cant afford a wireless system). By 10 I had it all hooked up, and it worked with everything except the tv. Ugh! (It has an fm tuner as well) I thought about it awhile, switched a few wires around this morning, and voila! I'm so good, lol. (The directions were very unclear as to how to incorporate the cable box into all this. Good thing I'm fairly intelligent) :) I'm just very excited to have it. OH, maybe tomorrow we can have a Lord of the Rings marathon! Then maybe the Hobbit will make a bit more sense, lol.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 12-31-2012 - 6:22pm
Laura, T did go with me and took some of his Christmas presents with him. He didn't even ask "is it time to go home" once. :) I forgot to comment on the goals. I'd rather have it here so I don't have to post twice about it (lazy), but that would have the potential to exclude anyone else who wanted to participate. Are you on FB yet? Could we do it there to include the other moms? ...................... Hilarie, for NYE we are having ham hocks and beans with cornbread and playing Wii games as a family. I bought the sparkling grape juice and a shrimp ring, too. The shrimp is something my mom and I always do so T and I will do it this year. Hope you had fun playing tourist! ............. That reminds me!! We are going to Disney this summer! I think it's short notice with only 6-7 months notice so I could use any tips you have! ..............................Can you believe 365 days ago the movers were finishing loading the truck and we would sleep on the floor in the IN house? We watched the cell phone time to count down to NYE. It was pathetic. T probably could stay up, he did last year, but I'm not sure how cranky we all will be before the ball drops. ............................... Lori, your house sounds like so much fun tonight! Enjoy! The surround sound sounds like such a cool idea! I will mention it to DH for the ILs. They would love it. They called for 1-3 for us, closer to 3", but it's been over freezing most of the day so it doesn't seem like that much. It hasn't stopped all day though. ...................................... Wendi

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-31-2012 - 7:11pm

Wendi-that's great that T can hang with you while you work.  I don't think Calla would be so good.  Amazing how different things are a year later for you too.

Lori-Sounds like loads of fun at your house!  Wish we could all come hang with you.  :)

Hilarie-Playing tourist sounds fun.  I would love to see St. Augistines someday. 

We went bowling & now are home playing pool & I'm making appetizers.  The girls are starving & DH & I are having steak & potatoes for dinner-so the girls could care less about that.  None of us will make it to midnight as we are skiing tomorrow, so we'll get up by 7am & get on the road shortly after that.  I think the girls are old enough now that they could stay up-but why bother...I've gotten old!  I still don't have the Christmas stuff put away either.  Ugh.  It's just going to have to wait.  We are getting the new toys put away though & some of the old toys taken out for the garage sale this summer.  About 3 or 4 years ago DH insisted on getting 2 fancy remote controlled cars for Calla.  She's never liked them & was too young for them when they were new.  Now they are kind of broken & not wonderful.  So sad to get rid of them, but they just take up space...but not sure how much they will go for at a garage sale.  They work-but not perfect, and take 6 AA batteries for each car (4 in the car & 2 in the remotes) so not sure if it's even worth putting the batteries in them to show people that they work.  What do you guys think? 

Well-Guess I should go back to the family.  My appetizers only have 2 minutes though-so maybe I'll wait until they are done to go downstairs.  Yes-I procrastinate that much.  And-have you noticed that it is now taking me to the last unread message?!??!  Maybe whoever was on the bottom of the totem pole at iVillage & had to work over Christmas got it working right!  You go girl!  :) 

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-31-2012 - 7:44pm
It doesnt take me to the last unread message because I cant even stay logged in.... grrrrrr........................Wendi, wow to a difference a year can make. Glad T was good for you. My kids usually go play in the gym if they go with me. I REALLY need to go tomorrow. All my Christmas stuff is still up in there. Thanks for reminding me we have sparkling grape juice too. :) ........................ mmmmmmmmmm, steak and potatoes. I haven't had steak in forever. Speaking of appetizers, Alexis came home one day and asked if I could make pinwheels for tonight because one of her friends asked if I would. So I did, and when she came up to get food, she was like, "OH, you made pinwheels!!! Would you be my mom?". At least I know someone was happy, lol. And I would think you'd have batteries in them just so people know. I hate taking the risk on things at garage sales that I cant try. Have fun skiing tomorrow.................................. I want my house to be the fun house. I just keep thinking, all these parents have to come get their kids tonight and I can stay home. :) Plus, I know where they are and what they're doing. I could have never done this at the other house...... If I dont make it back, hope you all have a very happy new year! (Oh, and I had asked LLG to come tonight. He said he might be going to his dad's, but he'd let me know. No word. I was a little miffed, as I'd seen him post something on FB earlier, but yet he couldn't even call or email saying he was or wasn't coming or anything. But when I got on here, he had emailed saying he's sick, so he's not going anywhere except to bed. At least I feel better that he didn't just ignore me.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-01-2013 - 12:41am

So many posts! Let's see what I can reply to here....

Lori, the party sounds awesome! Why do you eat those foods at midnight? Is there some meaning behind it?? I'm also curious - you said "running the wires under the floor". I assume it's upstairs - do you mean between the floors? Or under the carpet? Just curious. Sounds like a better idea than the wires all over that we always seem to have. Glad you got it all up and running!

Wendi, DISNEY!!!! I have tons of advice/help/comments/etc. Feel free to email me questions or whatever you want to know. I'm sure I have way more info than you want. :) Your NYE sounds like a fun time! What a difference from last year. I can't believe it's been a whole year. Any news on your old house??

We had a nice time in St. Augustine today. Saw more shops than we've ever seen before (which wasn't a ton - just a nice number). And we toured a couple of old churches. My mom really wanted to see the college there (windows were done by Tiffany - yes, "that" Tiffany!), but it was closed when we got there (even though the lady on the phone said they'd be open - d'oh!!!). She's really bummed she missed that. Tomorrow, maybe some shopping? She might take the kids to the park (which leaves me alone for a bit, but I can't go out, as she'll have my car). Oh, and I don't think I mentioned we went for a hike the other day (at my mom's insistence). She's only wants to see: nature, art, history. That's about it. So the hike was nature. Today was history and some artistic architecture. Fortunately, I made sure they were all in small enough doses that the kids did fine with it all.

Only one more day off. I wish it was more. I'll have to work hard Wed-Fri (or Th-Fri because I have to spend hours driving my mom to the airport on Wed, plus I'll have the kids with me all day).

Happy 2013, everyone!!!!!

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-01-2013 - 10:35am
Happy new year! I stayed logged in AND went to the last unread post! (Wonder if spacing works?) Hilarie, glad you had a nice day. We drilled holes in the floor and ran the wires through the basement. The family room is actually over the garage, so no big deal. We tried to go through the attic first, but they blew insulation in up there and there's no floor up there, so it was just too hard and dusty to get all the way across. (And we have wood floors in the family room, so no carpet to run under) Not sure what I'm going to do today. I need to go to school, and get groceries. I'm tired and my sinuses hurt, so I dont feel like doing anything.
Photobucket

Pages