Daily Chatter 4-23-12
Mon, 04-23-2012 - 6:56am

Morning.

Hilarie, ew to the ants.

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-23-2012 - 7:57am
Wow to Calla riding 6+ miles! I don't think Megan could do that. She sometimes whines within half a mile! (Our longest ride so far was probably 3 miles.)

Wendi, both girls were afraid of the chickens! DH had to walk them well behind the chickens so I could get a shot, and, even then, I just took the quickest picture I could.

The purpose of the farm tours was to find sources of fresh, local produce/meat/eggs. It was put on by slowfoodfirstcoast.com, which wants people to reconnect with "real" food. It was exactly what I was looking for!

Ugh - another week. I'm so sick of my current work project. It feels like it will never end. This morning, I get to clean up about 400 records. I'm hoping I can program it and not do it by hand!

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-23-2012 - 8:36am
Morning all,

I was not ready to get up this morning!! We had a nice weekend. Saturday we managed to get a huge amount of yard work done before the rain came. Yesterday it rained all day - we need it so I can't complain. It was really cold and windy too! I did mange to get the last of everything put away from our trip though.

Hilarie, I wish they had a farm tour like that around here - we know where some of the of farms in the area are, but I'd like to find a few more. DH and I would much rather pay a little extra just to get fresh local products. LOL to the girls being afraid of the chickens, my kids are fascinated with them. There's a farm we visit pretty regularly and Phoebe will even reach underneath them on the roost to check for eggs.

Laura, Yay to a nice day, We haven't gone on a long bike ride in awhile, Phoebe is getting better, but she's not quite there yet.

Lori, Sorry about all the remodel work. I was just telling DH I wish there was a way to find more time to do things! It seems like even when I do accomplish something there are that many more things left to do!! Of course it doesn't help that anytime I attempt to sort through stuff Harry tries to "help".

Wendi, Yay to a successful fishing outing - is this the first time T has gone fishing. Phoebe loves it.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-23-2012 - 11:33am
Morning!

Hilarie, you asked and I forgot to answer, this weekend the friend will stay in the guest room and DB is planned to sleep in T's bed with T in his play tent on the floor. This used to be the cool and awesome thing to do but apparently T has grown up a bit and is complaining that he doesn't want to give up his bed. We are working on talking him into it. Thank you for explaining a Farm Tour. That is not what I expected but better!

Andrea, T has gone fishing before but it wasn't the same. Someone else did everything and he just ooo'd and aah'd over the fish and worms. Now he has his own pole, lures, etc and he is able to do everything except set up the line with the weights, bobbers, etc. So this was more his first time doing it all himself. Now we did cast it out for him a few times because he could barely make it out of the shallow water from the bank but he had plenty of chances to cast it himself.

Blah. It's going to be a crazy week. I might as well count DH as not home considering the hours he'll be working. T has Week of the Young Child at school. I decided to start SBD, AGAIN, but already ate a brownie. I'm creeping up there and I think it's all in how I cook at home. I seem to make good choices when eating out but not at home. Lots of fun around here.

Wendi

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-23-2012 - 12:58pm
Wendi, why does DH work such crazy hours? What kind of places does he work that are open all hours? (I picture him more of an office worker, but maybe IT?)

DH's new laptop just arrived via UPS, so I have a feeling that he'll be worthless the rest of the day. It's always fun to play with new toys. :)

I'm bummed that, of course, I the swim lessons I signed the kids up for are during our church's VBS. Hours conflict. There's no way to do both. Bummer - I bet they'd love VBS (they've never been). I wonder if I can switch the swim dates. (There are no refunds, but maybe you can change dates?)

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-23-2012 - 3:42pm
I keep hoping for someone to entertain me. I SO don't want to combine these 800 records (down to 400, if that seemed to contradict my earlier post). ;-P

DH still hasn't busted out his new laptop. I'm shocked. I want to open it, and it's not even mine!

Serena's FB post (re: Pottery Barn Kids sale) has me shopping for backpacks for both kids for next year. Megan's backpack is still fine but getting small (so it would work for Allison), but it's a little dingy (dirty-looking, because it's light pink), and I'm betting Allison will want her own "new" backpack to start school. I can't decide if her wants are worth $20+. But they probably are. First day of kindergarten deserves a new backpack, I think.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-23-2012 - 3:56pm
Hilarie, I hope you can finish the current work project fairly quickly. I hope they will change the swimming lessons for you. If not, is there another church close that they can do VBS? My kids used to do a few (we have 3 churches in my tiny town) each summer, but now pretty much just do ours.

Andrea, glad you had a nice weekend. It looks nice here now, but I'm betting its still cold. Wearing the heavy coat again. :(

Wendi, I find that even if I dont make the "healthiest" dinners at home, its all in portion control. I threw pork chops in the crock today and took a can of cream of mushroom soup diluted with a bit of milk and poured on top. I'll have to go easy on the "gravy", but since I'm counting calories, its in the portions for me. I had to LOL at you starting SBD today but having a brownie. Oh, and I'm also going to try to be a little stricter with myself and say only sweets on Sundays (unless I know there's something special during the week). I'm doing a blog challenge and we have to set goals each week, so I tweak them to work for what will be going on. Easier than long term things. :)

No Laura today?

Today was crazy! I'm testing one kid. He can take as many breaks and such as he needs. At least today he seemed to take his time and work through things. Then I had 2 4th grade amish girls in the library. They get extended time on their tests, and they were in here long enough that I didnt have 5th or 6th grades! (Yay) But kindergarten more than made up for that. Ugh!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-23-2012 - 4:18pm
Hilarie, you can barely buy a backpack at Walmart for $20 anymore. :)

Geez, just left school and its super windy here. I'm not feeling so great either... head hurts and stomach is off a little. But I have a NYC meeting in a bit. The big girls are going with me. Glad my mom is living here now. :)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-23-2012 - 4:30pm

There are PBK backpacks for about $20 right now (depending on size). And LL Bean has light blue (only) on clearance for $12.99. The LL Bean one is the one Megan got when she started Kindergarten, and it has held up well. Now looks like a good time to buy them, since it's not "back to school" season. That's why I was looking into it.

4:30. Still working. Waiting for one answer so I can finish this thing up. She said "soon" about an hour and a half ago. This isn't as soon as I'd like! At least I'm making good progress today.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-23-2012 - 4:43pm
Sorry you still had kindergarten today, Lori! At least you missed a couple of classes! Why do these kids get extra help/time on the tests? I mean, they're standardized state tests, aren't they? (I'm just wondering if that's fair and/or influencing the results. Not being accusatory, just curious.)

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-23-2012 - 6:20pm
Hmmm, now you make me want to look into backpacks now, lol.

Kids with IEPs or ELL (English Language Learners) etc get extra time. ELL kids can also use a dictionary. Some kids also have the test read to them (questions and answer selections only, not the selections on the reading test). I had to scribe for the kid I had today, but not read anything.
Sometimes I think this whole test is just stupid. I mean, hopefully in the real world, if people are doing something, they'll know where to look to find the answer. I think thats as important as just knowing the answer sometimes. On Weds its the math test. All 6th graders can use a calculator. Only IEP kids in 5th grade can use one. Not sure how thats fair, but thats the way it is.

And I'm ticked at the kitchen people again. I do not cause ripples, just like to go with the flow, am not one for trouble.... After I posted from school I went upstairs to reassure the teachers that I really thought the kid I tested put forth an effort. They were afraid he was going to rush and not try, but I think he did an ok job. (I'm not allowed to look at the questions or see what answers he put, but I did think he took his time reading and looking for the answers) When we were done, I took his test over to the principal (they have to be locked up) and she said he could go downstairs with me and have lunch and go outside. There were 2 other 6th graders that came in then, so I took them too. The kitchen called up to the teachers and wanted to know why some of their kids were down there if they were supposed to be testing, and if they had to stay until their class came down for lunch. That just boils my blood. Like I dont know whats going on. I just want to go in the kitchen and say "mind your own d*&n buisness", and I dont really swear. I am so ticked at them, they can just kiss it. Work in the kitchen and keep your nose out where it doesnt belong and isnt wanted! Geesh that just ticks me off.

Ok, I'll go now. :)
Photobucket

Pages