Daily Chatter 6-4-12

iVillage Member
Daily Chatter 6-4-12
Mon, 06-04-2012 - 8:59am

Um, how am I the first one on here today??

iVillage Member
Re: Daily Chatter 6-4-12
Sat, 06-09-2012 - 11:20pm
Lori-Sounds like & good but busy day. I got the thing to stand above our toilet at Pier 1 a few years ago. Got a matching toilet paper dispenser, towel rods, robe hook, etc... so it all matches. I LOVE it. It was relatively cheap too (on sale). Have fun with your aunt there. Glad your mom was a little better today too & that the shower was fun. Like I said-sounded busy!

Wendi-8am mass? That would never happen here. We usually go to 9am church-but they changed to only 1 service in the summer at 10am. So we have extra time tomorrow-we haven't been in 3 weeks though! Aaak. DH has been less than impressed with the sermons lately so he's been talking about church shopping again. I hate that! But we might have to try some this summer. But-DH was totally a rockstar today & I'll do just about anything for him (and his sliced open finger-poor guy).

I completely forgot what I was going to say. Something about 7 year-olds being so grown up sometimes-but yet so stupid & immature at other time. I think she's going to drive me crazy. The little one is her own type of crazy too!!! How did I get 2 girls?!??!!?! :smileywink:

It is Monster Truck weekend-ugh-I hate it so much. We don't live too far from the fairgrounds & we are uphill from it so the sound travels well. It is sooo noisy! DH said a few weeks ago that we should go camping this weekend so we aren't home during it-but the weather has been crappy all weekend & supposed to stay this way until at least Monday. So no reason to camp in the rain. Maybe next weekend we can get away. I also realized that Father's Day is coming up & I need to start thinking about that. I looked for cards at Walmart the other day & they all were completely stupid. I don't know if I was just in a bad mood or what-but they were horrible! I told Calla that she'd just have to make one. She painted a REALLY cool water color fish for him though-I might have to frame it. I love stuff like that-espeically when it comes home not wrinkled & destroyed from being in her backpack!

Ok-off to bed...

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-10-2012 - 9:31am
Good morning, all. We won't go to church today, either. My mom says "you can all go" (meaning she won't), but I feel kind of rude doing that when she's our guest. We haven't been for weeks, either! There was one week we skipped (just because), the next week, we didn't get home until 2:00 am from the water park day. The next weekend we were at Disney. Then this weekend. We WILL go next weekend!!!! Sheesh!

Laura, your DH sounds like a rock star! Wow! Awesome to have that done!

Lori, you got so much done yesterday, too! I'm excited for your aunt visiting this week - enjoy it!

Wendi, T's scores yesterday reminded me of when I took bowling lessons (briefly). I got a trophy for "lowest average". Ha! (I was older than T, I think. Maybe 9?)

Well, the day at the Okefenokee Swamp - sorry National Wildlife Refuge - was pretty good. We decided to take a 90-minute boat tour right away and one was leaving in 30 minutes. It was fun. We saw a bunch of gators out in the wild. Not a ton, but like 10-15. (As in, it's not staged at all - you had to try to spot them while the boat was moving.) Then we tried to hike a bit, but we were being eaten alive by bugs. (We used a bug block, but maybe it was wearing off by then?) It rained lightly while we were on the boat, but it was a covered boat (yay!), so that was fine. We didn't get rained on the rest of the time. That worked out well. I think it would be a great place to canoe (you can rent them).

Not sure what we're doing today. 85% chance of rain by 3:00. Hmmmm.....

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-10-2012 - 2:45pm
Hilarie, I think you are crazy ... " I think it would be a great place to canoe" ... "We saw a bunch of gators out in the wild". CRAZY!! LOL! But so glad you all had a great time!

Laura, too bad about the monster trucks. That would be annoying. We've been in Father's Day mode for a week now and only have a thing of cookies and a card. Calla's watercolor sounds like an awesome gift!

We didn't make it to 8am mass. :smileyhappy: I woke up, asked him if it would alright to wait until later and he was more than happy to roll over and doze off again. That's why I like Saturday night so much. You're not getting up early and you don't feel like half the day is spent waiting for church to come around.

Tomorrow I am working after tennis. T is coming along. I'm hoping to clean out the desk and look around on the computer. The principal wants to send out a welcome letter this week with the calendar and supply list. I got to get with it quick!

I might not be around then until the evening.

Wendi

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-10-2012 - 2:57pm
Wendi-Glad you got to sleep in. Funny that you have been working so hard & only have cookies & the card done. Does that mean you have other projects "in the works" but just not complete?

I have to brag for a minute. Yesterday at ACE, DH told the girls that he was looking for clear caulk. Lacey walked down the aisle & said, "Here it is dad!" And pointed right to the word "Clear" on a bottle. Then she pointed to a few more that said it. He was shocked. And-at dinner the other night DH was figuring the tip & asked Calla, "What's 20% of $50?" She thought about it for a few minutes & said, "I think it's 10 bucks, but I'm not positive." We talked through her logic & were amazed. I don't even think they've done percents in school either. Where does she come up with this stuff?

It's raining like crazy here again today-I think we are the only part of the country that isn't hot based on the weather report last night. Sigh... DH wanted to go on a bike ride-but instead he's replacing the caulk around the kitchen sink. Poor guy. The girls both wanted to have friends over-so I called & left messages with 2 friends. I hate doing that because then I don't want to call anyone else in case they call back-you know? But-if they are both not home then I'd like to call someone else. Hard to know what's right sometimes.

And-DH made chili after church. It's in the crock pot & smells soooooo good. We ate donuts for "lunch" right after church-so I should make something healthy for us to snack on because I know everyone will be hungry before too long. So-off I go...

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-10-2012 - 5:23pm
Hi all. Add us to the church skippers today. :smileyhappy: I was there at 8am...got the girls off on their mission trip. Left Livi for Sunday school, then came home to start on the bathroom with my dad. Worked until I had to pick up Livi, then home to work some more. After 2 trips to Lowes (not counting the one last night to get the stuff, and the one my dad made while I was at church with the girls), its all done. It was a feat for sure. But I now have a working sink and toilet, and the bathroom looks SO different. I'm so happy! Now on to the shower...

Wendi, yes, Brenna has her own room, but she also has a loft bed, lol. My aunt would not be sleeping up there. LOL at spending so much time at Walmart. Good luck at work tomorrow.

Laura---*two* girls are a cake walk. :smileywink: Yay for the girls figuring things out. Its amazing what their little brains absorb. I will be happy to take some of that rain off your hands. Its in the 90s here today. I sure hope its cooler in Chicago for the kids.

Hilarie, um, yeah...canoeing with gators does not sound like fun to me. When we were in FL when the big girls were smaller, we went on an airboat ride. So. fun. We saw gators in the wild then too. Be happy to take some of your rain too. I cant remember the last time it rained here...a week ago Friday maybe (when our game was rained out?). My grass is getting brown.

I'm SO tired. Went to bed late, woke up early.

Oh, and after the bathroom taking all day, my dad is staying another night, lol.

And one other thing. I think my mom is really going downhill. Its just really breaking my heart. She just does not seem so good today at all...
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 06-10-2012 - 6:26pm
Laura, ha! No, nothing up our sleeves for DH. I'm plain ol' stumped! Wow to Lacey and Calla! I loved being surprised by their knowledge like that!

Lori, three more trips to Lowes? Oh, my goodness! But yay for a brand new bathroom (minus the shower)!! Is your aunt the one in the pictures at the amusement park? She looks spry but I couldn't see her getting in a loft either, lol! Hugs about your mom!

Wendi

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-10-2012 - 9:22pm
Laura, that is great when kids shock us by knowing things. Love that! How cool!

Yeah, Wendi, what else do you have planned for Father's Day? I haven't thought about it for even 30 seconds yet. Oops.

Lori, glad you got done, even if it took a lot of trips to Lowes. My DH will tell you that's always the way it goes! Every time! Have you talked to the dr about your mom? I mean, if she's looking worse, should she go in? Is she expected to have bad days? It just seems like if she's living "with" you that you should have the full story and know when to call the doctor. ((hugs))

I tried to post something cranky earlier, but it crashed. Ha! I think my phone was trying to keep me from posting it. :smileyhappy:

We went to Museum of Science and History today (MOSH). It was okay - not as bad as I feared. Semi-interesting. The kids didn't want to learn, though, so they were a bit bored. (Lots to see, but not all of it interested them.)

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-10-2012 - 9:26pm
Yep, thats my aunt. She's almost 85 and my dad is whipping her into shape, lol. She's up to walking 3 miles on the treadmill! She's had eye surgery lately, and got hearing aides, so she's doing well. Love her.

While we were working on the bathroom, my dad wanted to know if I thought it would be ok to go talk to my mom for a bit. I mean, they visit when he's here, but I got the feeling this was something different...like it was on a more personal level and maybe some unfinished business. He was down there probably 2 hours! (My stepmom would have a fit if she knew.) My mom said they had a nice chat. I think reality is hitting my dad hard. My mom is not well, one of his friends from here is not well...he called him and is meeting him for coffee in the morning before he goes back home.

And my aunt has been telling me that things are not so great on the homefront. My dad and stepmom dont get along so well... I cant imagine why...she's not the most friendly or easiest person to get along with for sure!

Ok, gossipy enough for one night, lol.

PS. My girls think my dad is great tonight. They had a snack before bed. They had been done about 40 minutes when he came up from the basement and asked them if they'd had snack. He said its summer, so we went to get icecream. :smileyhappy:
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 06-10-2012 - 9:58pm
Lori-So glad grandpa is spoiling the girls. :smileyhappy: That's what they are best at. Interesting to hear all that's going on. I agree that if your mom is living with you-you should know when to call to get her seen. Hugs!

Hilarie-Had to laugh at MOSH. That sounds more like a kids museum to me. Sorry the girls were not into it.

Wendi-I totally forgot what I was going to say-it must have been profound...I hate it when my brain does that.

DH skyped with his mom for quite a while tonight (after talking on the phone for a while before that). She's planning to come at the end of August & he said, "why don't you come Tuesday to Tuesday?" I gave him the evil eye. He knows that 5 days is the limit. Then I think we're going to DRIVE to see her for Christmas. My mom's 80th b-day is Dec 21st, so we would leave here & drive to see my parents for the weekend before & then to see his mom (in Reno) and then back to my parents for NYE & then home. That way we'll have our vehicle & can take skis & stuff too. Hopefully the roads won't be rotten. Not sure I'm really excited about this-but he's going to MO with me in July for my family thing so I need to be supportive.

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-10-2012 - 11:05pm
And-I forgot to tell you all about my newest purchase. I saw this on pinterest & had to copy it as soon as I could. It's a "Ransom Box". Just a tupperware type box that is big enough to hold crap. If your child(ren) haven't put their stuff away at the end of the day you put it all in the box. Then you can either make chore lists (one for each child) or an envelope full of random chores or whatever you like. Then for them to get their stuff back they have to do a chore. I was sooo excited to find this & tonight the girls cleaned up like magic. I'll have to see if it works-but I'm excited to try it out.

Also-earlier today Calla said, "I'm bored..." so I made her clean her room. She said it again & I said, "Would you like to dust or vacuum?" She learned VERY quickly that every time she says she's bored or wants something to do I'm going to put her to work. Hehehehee. Summer is always hard-but this is my little way of fighting back. :smileyhappy: