iVillage Member
Daily Chatter 8-20-12
Mon, 08-20-2012 - 6:56am

Morning.

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-20-2012 - 7:00am

Wendi, very cool to the civil war reenactment!  I think that would be fun.  I hate history, unless I can learn about it like that.

Hilarie, glad you're happy with your containers.  :smileywink: 

The girls were almost late for the bus.  It usually goes past first, then comes back to get them.  I'm not sure if we missed it going past, or if the bus is going a different route, but we looked out the window and there it sat.  Oops.  At least it didnt leave them.  :smileyhappy:

I'm SO not ready.  And my fingernails are still plain.  :smileysad:  What we were trying just wasn't working.  Might paint them after the littles leave.  (My hours this year are 9:15 to 2:45 with one hour either after that on Thursday or before that on Friday, although I think I'm using it on Tuesday this week to go to the staff meeting since I dont have any books to put on the shelf.)

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-20-2012 - 7:51am
Morning, So how many of you start school today? DH left early this morning for San Antonio he'll be back Thursday. Phoebe has her appointment with the orthopedist this morning. She wasn't very excited about it, but I told her I would take her out to lunch before we go back to work/camp. It helped a bit.

Hilarie, wow to the great day - and the great deal on the bike!! I figure Phoebe will finish out the summer with her current bike and we'll figure something out for next year. Glad the girls took to the kayaking too - it really is fun.

Lori, We noticed the same thing earlier this year when my aunt died - why is it we only see some family at funerals? Yikes to almost missing the bus this morning, I imagine on the first day the drivers are a little more patient.

Laura, wow to the crazy dog!! It's too bad he's so crazy. Yes, Phoebe is a featherweight - still only 45 pounds. She's close to the limit, but not quite there yet.

Wendi, I hope you were able to rest up after your first week. Sorry about the computer issues. I agree, sometimes those anti virus programs don't work well together.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-20-2012 - 8:35am
Lori, that's great that the bus just waited for the girls! Good luck getting back into your work schedule!

Andrea, is DH's trip for work? I hope the dr. appt. goes well today. Wow - 45 pounds. It's funny how kids are all different sizes. Allison has just turned into a chunky monkey. (No change in eating, really, so I'm not sure why.) She weighs 67 pounds now!!!!! (Megan is around 80, so they're both big - it's consistent, at least.)

The bus was late today (about 10 minutes). The bus driver was talking about a "schedule change" but nothing firm yet. He wasn't very specific, but I think he means after school. The bus came last year about 3:10, but it's scheduled for 3:26 right now - late! Would be nice if it was earlier. There were at least 26 people at the bus stop this morning! Like everyone's complete family came. Even some grandparents! (Our complete family was there, too, of course.) I'll post some pics later. Allison's first day isn't until Wednesday (stagger day) and then she goes again Friday. I'll probably take her on Wednesday, and Friday is a "kindergarten send-off" thing for parents, so I'll go then, too. So she won't ride the bus TO school until next week.

I have to have to have to work on that horrible awful no-good really-bad work project hard-core this week. It's "due" on Friday. Which hopefully means Friday and won't mean I work over the weekend! It's going to be a grumpy week. (That being said, I'll try to start out with a good attitude. Really I will. I just haven't quite got it ready yet this morning. :smileyhappy: )

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-20-2012 - 8:37am
Oh, and I'd like to grumble about the silly Michelle Obama ad at the bottom of the page. It's taking up about 1/5 of my screen, and it won't go away!!! :smileysad:

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-20-2012 - 9:49am

Laura, that party sounds awesome!  You have a water slide with inner tubes??  Cool!  Good luck with MIL this week.  I hope Lacey has fun with her - or at least that they don't need you too much while you're working.  Calla will love camp, I'm sure!

You know, speaking of lunches...  We packed lunch for the beach on Saturday.  Well, two kids with the lunch boxes we have results in 10+ pieces each.  This will be every day.  For the whole school year.  I've loved our lunch boxes up to this point (with only one kid taking lunch at a time), but I'm thinking of using Ziploc containers this year instead.  Bummer, because our lunch boxes are excellent, but really - 10+ pieces per day, every day.  UGH.   Here are our existing lunch boxes:  http://tinyurl.com/8f4r4b4   Here are ones just like the ziploc (except these are better - we might buy these):  http://tinyurl.com/968ovk7

I almost forgot why I was posting!  Pictures!  :smileyhappy:

Megan's first day of school shots:

Megan - first day of 2nd grade

Megan - first day of school

Then Allison (because she insisted).  We put her hair in curlers last night.  Well, by the time we walked to the bus stop and back, her hair was completely straight!!!  I assume it's the humidity.Allison - curls!

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-20-2012 - 12:47pm
It's going to get really quiet around here, isn't it? :smileysad:

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-20-2012 - 1:05pm
Back from the Dr, basically it's a wait and see thing - she goes back in 6 months and gets new x-rays. He basically just wants to track her at this point. Otherwise just go about life as normal. He said there aren't any exercises that will correct anything, but anything that strengthens her core muscles will help prevent anything from worsening.

Cute Pics Hilarie! My hair does the same thing with curls and humidity! My kids have consistently been on the light side I hope they stay that away. Yes, DH is away for work. Can you believe the Army thinks it is more cost effective to have all the people that need this training come to San Antonio for a day and half class rather than offering it at different locations throughout the US? The worst part is this class is given by other agencies, but they will only accept the Army's version. So DH has to be gone for 4 days for a 12 hour course!! The airline tickets alone
are over $500 not to mention airport parking, lodging perdiem etc... How is this cheaper?

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-20-2012 - 4:20pm
Hi all. One day down, 179 to go. :smileywink:

(I meant to say the same thing this morning---I HATE this freaking ad at the bottom of the screen!)

Andrea, glad they dont want to do anything with Phoebe right now. Hopefully it will work itself out!

Hilarie, hope work isnt too bad, and that Megan had a good day at school. Do you send yogurt or dip in the lunches? I noticed the second link says the containers are not leak proof. (Is there are reason they pack every day and not buy ever?) Cute pics!

Laura, its funny to hear you talk about Calla going to came when so many of us are going back to school. Hope she had a fun day! Thats a great pool!

The day went fine. Much was boring. Since the teachers are introducing everything, I sat around a lot in the classes. But it went fast, and I think I'll like my schedule (when I remember where to be when, lol).
I should be able to check in here periodically this year too. I have 2 15 minute scheduled breaks (missed one today from cafeteria duty running over) and an unpaid lunch, so those are all my time. Yay! :smileyhappy:

I think we're all tired now.

Oh, and my mom called this morning around 7 and said she's having surgery on Thursday, so I'll miss a day of school already! Oh well...at least I warned the principal ahead of time that this might happen...
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-20-2012 - 6:55pm
Lori, oops to almost missing the bus! So glad to hear your schedule is going to be good. Are you not under contract? In review, that sounds pretty personal, but I guess I assumed you were just like a regular teacher. Nooooo! You are not allowed to count down the school days!!! It will just take longer to get here, lol! BTW, we only go for 172. :smileyhappy:

Andrea, thank goodness for a good report from the doctor! A mother-daughter lunch sounds so nice!

Hilarie, totally agree to the annoying ad at the bottom! The girls look so cute and grown up! I love your lunch boxes. The ziplock products are usually awesome, but why does that one say not leakproof? Is that not leakproof between sections? Otherwise that is really cool.

Laura, that's not a pool, that's a water park! The slide is huge! Go Calla! That would be a totally awesome school party. I bet she loved horse camp today!

A good Monday for us. Except we pretty much seemed to have a constant stream of kids coming in the office for "first aid" reasons. T even came in today but his temp was just a bit elevated, not enough to go home thank goodness! He let me stay a little bit extra so I could finish up some things in case I can't be there tomorrow. I hate when this happens at the beginning of school. We had one in today with a 101.8*! He was just lying on a extra pew in the back of church (our pickup area) when his mom got there. He just looked so pitiful and sad!

T's in the other room shouting "Curse you tiny toilet!" LOL! I love that movie!

Wendi

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-20-2012 - 7:59pm
I wont be counting down every day. :smileywink: Its actually longer for me...those are kid days. Inservice days add more to my calendar.

Laura, they're taking out her spleen and closing a fistula in her stomach. (Dont ask me what that is---a hole or something???) Hope work gets better, and bedtime isnt too bad!

Wendi, ugh to sick kids already! Do you go 172 because you're private? Our state law (?) is 180. We do have 5 snow days, so it could be as few as 175.

Boring night here. I need to go throw some laundry in the dryer.

And in regards to the ad: A few of our kids went to ask for seconds at lunch today. They were only allowed to have fruit or vegetable. They were told its because of the new Mrs Obama campaign or some such thing. Really? Does she know where some of our kids come from? We have some that lunch is the most they get to eat in a day... sometimes the only hot meal. And now because some kids are not healthy, they're going to not let others have enough??? (Our lunch was fairly skimpy today as it was!) Sometimes I think the gov't sticks their nose in too many places.
Which brings me to another issues I'll tell you about. Apparently part of PE this year is body make-up as well. Kids will be weighed, measured, % of body fat, etc and it will be on their grade cards. Its not a grade, but still... how humiliating for some of these kids! The school should not be responsible for this stuff. Yes I know there are parents that dont take the initiative, but the school cannot be responsible for doing everything. We need to educate. There's already so much extra crap they have to do besides keep track of how much they all weigh too. Sigh... Exactly the reason I dont want to be a classroom teacher.

Ok, off my soap box now.
Photobucket

Pages