iVillage Member
Daily Chatter 8-27-12
Mon, 08-27-2012 - 6:49am

Morning

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-27-2012 - 6:51am
I cant believe this is the last few days of August.

I'm tired. Not ready to start the work week. I got to sleep in Saturday, but I sure dont feel like there's any time on weekends to relax anymore. :smileysad:
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-27-2012 - 7:56am
Lori, glad your mom's vent tube was out. I hope your brother lets them have it today. :smileysad: Good luck with your week. Will you go see your mom at all, or will you wait for the weekend?

Cranky Monday. Blah.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-27-2012 - 9:16am

I don't know what to do about Megan. She won't pick up, do anything she's supposed to. She dawdles, plays, etc. Allison usually ends up picking up because 1) she wants it done, 2) she wants a marble (our reward system), 3) we've said "x can't happen until it's done" and she wants to do it. But, instead of the rewards encouraging Megan, she's getting worse and worse! This morning she would have missed the bus (if it wasn't 25 minutes late!!!), after we had already encouraged her on how she could earn a marble this morning by being ready before we have to remind her to do anything. I seriously have no idea what to do. Rewards/punishments are having zero effect. I can't understand why she'd choose to spend an hour wandering/spacing when she's supposed to be picking up the house, rather than 10 minutes, tops, to just get it done. Any ideas??

Also, I'm in "DH must now get a job" mode (since Allison is finally in school every day now). Which has me angry with him being on the computer to research "why our plants get algae". Great use of your time, dear....

(Sorry - I'll work on a better attitude!)

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-27-2012 - 11:05am
Morning all,

We had a good weekend. I managed to get some tomato sauce canned - the garden was overflowing!! We started packing for the beach this weekend, we'll be there until Wednesday and my parents will stay for the rest of the week. Phoebe's looking forward to it.

Laura, Glad the week with MIL was relatively uneventful. I guess Phoebe's the last one to start school?

Lori, So glad your Mom is off the vent. It must be such a relief to talk!! That's really awful about the nurses though - hopefully she'll be out of there soon.

Hilarie, We've started to notice the same thing with Phoebe once and awhile - having to ask her to do something multiple times before they get done. Usually it's if the TV is on though - so our solution is just to turn it off. We did warn her that once the school year starts we're going to start initiating a few new systems - specifically set daily chores. Right now it's been kind of loose system, but DH and I think she needs something a little more defined.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-27-2012 - 11:15am
Hilarie, I can understand your attitude. I like the bedtime thing Laura does. Might have to do that with my littles. (I'm not too strict on when the bigs go to bed...they just have to get up in the morning, and they're really good about both.) My biggest problem though is Alexis. She thinks she can hide out in the basement and not help with anything upstairs. Grrrrr. She made homemade breadsticks yesterday and left the mess in the kitchen, yet she doesn't want to empty the dishwasher. Makes sense. :smileymad: What about taking Allison out for icecream or a new something (toy, shirt, hair thing) for helping so much and leaving Megan home with dh?

Laura, glad the week with MIL wasn't too bad. Yeah, if you're used to living by yourself, a family home can be a bit much. :smileywink: So jealous of your trip to San Fran.

Andrea, the beach? Jealous again. Hope its the east coast away from the hurricane. Yay for canning.

And this week is the 7th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina...and this one is heading on about the same path. I must say I'm glad my brother doesnt live there this time, but hope everyone will be safe.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-27-2012 - 12:12pm
Yes Lori, the beach - Maine. We're excited, Phoebe talked all weekend about climbing on the rocks.

So I called the dr to schedule my biopsy this morning, they don't have the schedule for September yet - at least for the Dr I will be using. So She gave me all the info and said she would call me back by Wednesday to schedule. It's actually a 2 hour appt!!! Of course she said the actual procedure only takes 5 minutes, the rest is all prep etc.. I'll just be glad when this is all over - and hopefully it's nothing serious!!

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-27-2012 - 12:21pm
Lori, they said Wednesday was the anniversary, and Wednesday is what day the hurricane is supposed to hit there. Ugh.

Andrea, I had to get a biopsy a few years ago. On my lady parts. Ye-owch! Hopefully yours won't be as painful! Have fun on your trip! So Phoebe doesn't start school until the week after Labor Day (or later)?? I thought all schools started by the day after Labor Day. Guess I was wrong...

Laura, glad you've survived MIL! How far away does she live? (Does she drive? fly?)

The girls do have separate jars for marbles. And Allison has gotten some treats that Megan hasn't already. Today, Megan might miss dance class (which actually pisses me off, because it's so expensive, but that was DH's threat). I did read about getting them up earlier (if mornings are the trouble) and making them go to bed earlier. I'll think about that - it's hard, because they share a room, so Allison basically gets "punished", too. (Even if she stays up a few minutes later, she'll probably wake M up at night. And in the morning, waking Megan up will for sure wake Allison up. :smileysad: )

My big work project still isn't done yet - hopefully by tomorrow. But I'm really irritated that the two guys aren't getting back to me at all. I emailed questions on Thursday or Friday - still no response! I guess they don't want the work too quickly then, eh?

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-27-2012 - 1:47pm
Phoebe starts school on the 6th of Sept, usually they start the Wednesday after Labor day, but for some reason it's day later this year? It works out though - we get to have a last hurrah at the end of the summer without Phoebe missing any school.

I know what you mean about the dance class threat costing money, but maybe it will make a point - especially if it's something she enjoys?

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-27-2012 - 3:40pm
What if you tell her that because she misses dance class, she'll have to pay for it since it costs so much and it was her behavior that made her miss? I dont mind making the little girls do to bed at different times...if one is sleeping the other doesnt really wake them, but if the other doesnt go to sleep it really doesnt matter...at least they're separated from the activities of the main part of the house. I couldnt get them up at different times though...they almost always hear me if I need to get one up for something.

Ahhhh, I forgot about Maine! Now I'm double jealous, as I've always wanted to go there and haven't been (yet).

School was good. Hot. So so so muggy. It rained for awhile, so I hope that helps.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-27-2012 - 3:51pm
4th school bus time change since school started - last week!!! And back to 15 minutes earlier in the morning. :smileysad: I don't know why it's so difficult - can't they just use last year's schedule again??

And DH is pissing me off. He's always "arranging" or "decorating" stuff - especially as pertains to the kids' room. And it's something I always hate. This time it's a big ugly mirror (old frameless bathroom mirror - just a piece of glass, basically) - where I had already decided he was hanging his ugly pictures (which are still on the floor, mind you). With a table in front of them and all their hair supplies, etc. Now, they never sit down to primp, so why did he need to create a "primping area" which will be "stuff all over the floor" area? Grumble.

(Sorry. I don't know why I'm so grumpy today. At least work is going better now that they got back to me.)

Pages