Daily Chatter 9-10-12

iVillage Member
Daily Chatter 9-10-12
Mon, 09-10-2012 - 8:05am

Starting a new thread stress - will I be the only one????

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-10-2012 - 8:28am
It's ridiculous how much it stresses me to start a thread. Seems like someone else always does it at the same time!

Lori, the cooler weather sounds nice. Sorry you didn't make it to the fair, though!

Laura, how close are the fires to make the smoke so bad? I hope you had fun at Sunday Streets. Sorry church isn't doing it for you right now. :smileysad: The storage cabinets look great! And huge!

Andrea, yay for the generator! That's awesome that you can just use everything as normal. Sounds like a good investment!

No posts from Wendi this weekend??

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-10-2012 - 8:36am

Oh, yeah, Laura - have you heard of thredUp ( https://www.thredup.com/ )? Did I mention them before when I sold clothes to them? They pay pretty well for kids clothes - better than a garage sale! If you're interested in checking them out, let me refer you, because we'll both get a $10 credit, I think. I'm getting ready to send them a second bag of clothes.

Our weekend was good. I didn't mention, but Allison had the "class bear" this weekend - Baxter. He was to "do whatever we do" and then we were to write about it in his travel log (with pictures, preferably). So, Baxter went to Disney with us! We went to Hollywood Studios on Saturday. We met Mary Poppins (new to us!) and her penguins (which I had never seen before!). One of the penguins took Baxter and wanted to keep him! It was pretty funny. And on one ride that requires 3-D glasses, a cast member said "wait - you forgot something" and returned with glasses for Baxter to wear for the ride. I love Disney - it's always such an experience.

Sunday it rained, so Baxter didn't get to join us. We went to Animal Kingdom (because DH says we never go there). We actually went on 2 new rides (new to all of us!) - one was a 48" limit - the first time Allison has been tall enough to ride one! (And, geez - 48"??? My kids are so tall!!!) We wore ponchos all day and weren't too miserable.

We did make it to IKEA, too. We had to leave the park early-ish to get there, but it was our first priority, so we made sure to make it.

When we got home (almost 11:00), I still had to finish something for work, enter my time, and get all the pictures printed for Allison's Baxter book. Ugh. And we had to rush through writing in it this morning. I had to write most of it because of time. But I'm guessing most kids won't write in it anyway - their parents probably will. So I guess it was okay.

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-10-2012 - 8:47am

The photos that made the book:

Allison reading to Baxter:

BaxterRead

View from our hotel balcony.  (Oh - they upgraded us for our anniversary!  And we got a 4:00 checkout on Sunday!)

Photobucket

At Hollywood Studios:

Photobucket

With Mary Poppins and her penguins:

Photobucket

The penguin who wouldn't give Baxter back.  He was very sweet with Baxter!

Photobucket

On the Toy Story ride - after Baxter got hooked up with his 3-D glasses!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-10-2012 - 9:30am
Hilarie, Very cool that Baxter got to go to Disney!! Glad you guys had a good trip. Yikes to getting home so late though. My kids would have fallen apart if they were up that late.

Laura, The storage area looks awesome - I wish I had an area like that! We notice the power go out - because there is a 60 second delay, so the clocks blink etc, but when the power comes back on it's seamless.

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-10-2012 - 10:20am

Andrea, the kids were asleep in the car by 8:45 - thank goodness.  That was just a little late for them, but we just carried them in to bed when we got home.  Not too bad.

We did get a few things at IKEA: 

• -storage stuff for under the sink (not sure if it will work yet)
    -recycle bin for our papers (we use a bag in our pantry and it kind of spreads out, so I wanted a bin to hold the bag in a fixed location)
    -dresser/night stand for the guest bedroom (we have our old 13-drawer dresser in there, which is ridiculous and needs to be sold - this is a 3-drawer small thing that will work as a guest dresser and night stand)
    -mattress cover for the girls' mattress (finally - I haven't been able to find one I like that's waterproof - we've just had a wool blanket under their sheet since we brought the mattress home)
    -boring white curtains for the play room (the old tan/blue plaid ones that are in there are not our style)

Laura, that's really close to the fires - wow!  Sorry Sunday didn't work out as planned, but at least you found something to do.  Nice that the girls were so good so you could get that work done!!

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-10-2012 - 5:53pm
Hi all.

Laura, love the basement set up! Thats really a great system. Wow to the fires being so close! Sorry Sunday wasn't what you planned, but glad you had something to do.

Hilarie, looks like a great trip! What a fun weekend to have Baxter.

Hi Andrea!

Visit with Mom was ok yesterday. I'm amazed at how much better she looks. She was sleeping a lot, but her arms aren't swelled at all anymore, and her legs have gone down considerably! Wow.

I read a whole book in 2 days. Started it Saturday evening and finished it at the hospital yesterday. (It's called Divergent...if you liked the Hunger Games, you'd like this.) I started the second book today called Insurgent. Unfortunately there is a 3rd book not printed yet. Ugh! Brenna talked me into reading these before I really knew that, and who knew I'd like them so much, lol. I hate waiting for the last book, so I usually dont read a series until they're all out. (And I really like that the second book started exactly where the first book left off...not even a few hours later.)

Today we went to the fair. (We all get tickets to get in free on school day) The band played at 9:30, then we walked around a bit. Alexis went with her friends for awhile, and came back to meet us holding hands with a boy! Sigh... Came home to veg for a bit, then I went to get groceries. Now dinner is over and I have laundry going. Where do my weekends disappear to???
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-10-2012 - 6:13pm
Hilarie, I didn't even realize I didn't post! I'm just stopping by between activities.

We had the auction Saturday. It was a little emotional for MIL but it was all good and a huge weight off her shoulders. There was very little left over.

Then we stayed TWO nights when I didn't expect it. But it was OK, too. I managed.

Then, we had DH's company outing on Sunday at Busch Stadium. It was nice, the weather was pleasant, even a bit cool with the wind blowing. We were up high, too. Four rows from the top!

Tonight is Cub Scouts (printing stuff off now), tomorrow is eye appointment to fit my contacts and T's new lenses and violin, Wednesday is soccer. Phew!

Maybe I'll get a better chance to reply tonight!

Wendi

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-10-2012 - 8:33pm
Wendi, glad you got through the weekend, even if it was a little longer than expected. You're so busy!!!

Us, too, today. The girls had dance class right after school. We got an email on Friday saying they were having the last swim classes of the season starting today, so I brought that up to DH. We asked the girls after school (DH wanted them to, but I said we should ask) - they said "no". Well, after dance class, they changed it to "yes". Good thing I had started dinner early! So we signed up and now have class M-Th (starting tonight) for two weeks. Whew! They did really well - both in Level 4. I think they swam 16 lengths of the pool today (unless I missed some when I counted). Allison seemed pretty tired about halfway through!

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-10-2012 - 10:46pm
Laura, sorry about the work guy - that really sucks! I'd send a mean-ish email. :smileyhappy: LOL at the voodoo doll! Glad you got your new lightning-fast computer!

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-10-2012 - 11:33pm
ROFLMBO! Laura, you crack me up with a "quiet" week!

Oh, man! I need to put in an order of two voodoo dolls, please. We could use them at work.

The meeting went well. We had one boy who was super distracted and goofed off a lot. I'm going to have to watch him. I had to pull him out and to the end of the line a couple times.

It was T, in case you were curious. I think it was a case of my-mom-is-the-leader-so-I-don't-have-to-listen-itis.

Hilarie, I loved your pictures! That's so awesome to just make a last minute decision and go for it.

Lori, I was worried since you hadn't posted today. I forgot it was fair day. Glad your mom is doing so much better!

Laura, I have people like that at work! Every little thing is such a big deal. I didn't change the calendar as soon as I stepped in the door of my office (MY office, that is) the morning of the 4th and the first thing someone said was about the calendar being on August still. I'm like, it's been 10 minutes and I have more important things to do. I think next month I'm going to leave it up for a day, at least. I look at it a hundred times a day so I don't think I could go longer than that. And see why I need a voodoo doll? It sure would make me feel better. Hmm, perhaps something like that for the principal for Christmas? She would get a kick out of it!

Andrea, you are really lucky to have put in the generator. We still want one but other things have been priority. Maybe we'll make it our Christmas present!

Yes, I truly am thinking of Christmas already. Must get back to Halloween.

Also, we have some interest on our house. At least, the best we've had so far. One buyer, not sure if it's a couple or single person, looked on Saturday then again on Sunday with his/her/their mom and dad. They are thinking about it. The second family is renting to own in our neighborhood already but the owner came back and told them they have to be out by the end of the month. We might be able to work with them to get them in ASAP, especially since we don't live there and definitely won't be moving back there. So, please say a prayer for us that we found our buyers! Go, St. Joseph! (Yep, he's still buried there!)

I can't believe how late it feels. We've been going to bed between 9:30 and 10:30 lately. We are so OLD!

Wendi

Photobucket

Pages