iVillage Member
Daily Chatter 9-17-12
Mon, 09-17-2012 - 6:35am

Morning.  :smileyhappy:

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-17-2012 - 6:36am
Laura, I hope you have fun catching up with your cousin. I agree...not sure I could do something like that, but hopefully its all good. Hope you feel better this morning.

I'm so very tired. I didnt sleep well at. all. Plus, my sinuses are really hurting again today. Sigh...
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-17-2012 - 8:23am
Good morning, all!

Lori, I'm so glad your mom got a room! Hopefully getting her off the pain meds (unless she needs/wants them) will be much better for her! Sorry you didn't sleep well - I hope you feel better quickly today.

Wendi, the caves sound really cool! I did a lot of spelunking in college (including one cave where the sand touched the ceiling and you had to push it out of your way as you slithered through - that was probably the worst one - ugh!). My kids have never been in a cave and Megan might not deal with it very well. :smileyhappy: That's great that T did so well with his reading! And I'm glad the lunch went well for you all.

Laura, sorry you went to church an hour early - frustrating! The smoke sounds awful there. I hope you feel better soon!

We had a good weekend. I cried so much at the parade - I'm a big baby. Good thing I had sunglasses on so it (hopefully) wasn't obvious. It was so "small town" (which I haven't had for a long time!). Two high school marching bands, girl/boy scouts, local dojos, dance schools, etc. And TONS of candy. So much! I had no idea! The festival was pretty fun, other than listening to the kids, "I want to go on the bouncy things! I want my face painted! I'm thirsty!" etc. :smileyhappy: We did it all - just took our time, but they wanted all the fun "now!!!" We went home mid-afternoon for a rest then came back to use the rest of our ride tickets. The kids wanted to do one of those bungee trampoline things - 8 tickets each. And the line was LONG (which was why we didn't do it earlier). Still just as long when we got back, and we had 24 tickets left, so the kids said I should do it, too. So we waited for about an hour and 15 minutes in line for this ride. Seriously. Brutal. Luckily, the kids said it was worth it, and we had seen most everything earlier, so it wasn't a big deal to wait. Then we listened to The Smithereens ("A girl like you" - and that's about all I'd ever heard before from them) and watched fireworks. It really was a good day - but long! Sunday we just drove around neighborhoods there (for the umpteenth time!). The kids were REALLY good that day and didn't complain. It was a lot of driving for a short weekend - 6 hours+ each way is just too much for a regular-length weekend!

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-17-2012 - 9:02am
Oh, and by "home", I meant we went back to the hotel to rest for a bit.

Laura, that's cool that your cousin wants to come visit for the night. Interesting, after so long. I hope you enjoy the visit!

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-17-2012 - 10:54am
Hilarie, that sounds like a fun weekend. They have those trampoline things at our fair, but they're a separate cost ($5) so the line is never long.

Laura, glad you feel better. Hearing you talk about the smoke is just crazy...something I've never experienced, and hope not to.

I feel like I could be getting a cold. Usually when its allergies its worn off by now, but so far no luck. Guess I better start on my daily OJ for breakfast.

Oh, and I'll fill you in on the not sleeping---I thought I heard something in my room a week or so ago, and then again over the weekend. We have a mouse. I am NOT happy. I know this happens occasionally, but it just makes me crazy, especially since its in my room at times. I usually keep my door closed, but I'm leaving it open now in hopes that the cats do their job. (I've not had to get a trap in the past (we've had about 4 mice over the last 3 years) and I'm hoping I dont have to this time either...) Sigh... So I lay awake worrying about it. Dumb, I know, but still...
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-17-2012 - 11:01am
Morning, DH is off for the week - to your neck of the woods Lori - Columbus!! Phoebe has no school today because of Rosh Hashanah so my parents came down to help out. She'll have a day with Grandma and Grandpa so she'll have fun at least until I get home with Harry! I will stay a little longer today and tomorrow to cover some of the time I'll have to take later in the week since DH is gone though.

Laura, Sounds like a lot of fun Saturday - nice surprise to have your cousin stop by tonight - that's the nice part about family even if you haven't seen them for along time you can still call and do that sort of thing.

Lori, Glad your Mom is out of the ICU, sorry about the pain med fight though. Too bad I couldn't coordinate the trip out with DH - we could have met up somewhere - since you seem to be spending lots of time in Columbus.

Hilarie - Sounds like fun - too bad it's such a drive though. Glad the girls were so cooperative for the trip.

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-17-2012 - 11:37am
Hilarie - I forgot - the premiere of Bones is tonight - will you be able to watch it without cable or will you have to wait?

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-17-2012 - 11:40am
We have (or had, as of last week), basic channels still, and it's on after bedtime, so we should be able to watch it. If not, we'll probably join Hulu Plus ($8/month) and we can watch it tomorrow, I think. We haven't decided about Hulu Plus yet, but it saves an 8-day wait on many shows until they're available online. (The cable company sent some notification that without a box, even basic channels won't come in after yesterday. We haven't tested it yet, since we've been home.)

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-17-2012 - 3:16pm
Andrea, that would have been fun to meet you! I havent been in downtown Cbus in forever, but I could always see it from Mom's room. Nice your parent came to have some Phoebe time.

So my mom wont be transferred to the nursing home close for a bit yet. She still has a drain (not your typical stick-out-of-the-skin type drain) on her incision, and the nursing home isn't qualified to care for that. So she's going to a step-down unit. Unfortunately, the closest one is 45 minutes away. I guess thats better than 2 hours, but still not likely to get many weeknight visits. :smileysad: Sigh... We're still trying to get her medicaid stuff done too...I figured someone would tell me where to send her paperwork, but nothing. If we dont get it in like now, we have to start the process all over. Ugh!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-17-2012 - 9:19pm

Well, success on the tv-watching! We still have basic channels, even without the box. I think the cut-off was yesterday, so hopefully it's just that our tv's are new enough to convert the signal. Bones was GREAT. But I'm over Pelant already. :smileysad:

Lori, sorry your mom isn't moving near you right away, but hopefully it won't be too long until she'll be closer! Ugh to a mouse! We had an pest company deal with them in Oregon (they just placed poison traps). Yuck.

Laura, I hope you're seeing improvement with less smoke. It could be really irritating your sinuses and causing all your issues.

Andrea, sounds like a fun time for Phoebe. Was she just off today, then? She goes to public school, right? Seems like an odd holiday, but I guess it's more the thing up there than anywhere I've lived.

Speaking of, I said, "I don't need a sack" at the store today and the bag boy said he'd never heard that before. Wow. Bag. I don't need a bag. Doesn't "sack" sound nicer and more polished? I keep forgetting that people here expect the word "bag".

When we were driving around yesterday, we found houses for under $300K that were lake-front. Like a real lake (not huge, but not the "ponds" that we have everywhere in FL). You could take a non-motorized boat out there, fish, etc. That's a good price for a home in a subdivision that has lake-front property. Of course, I don't want to spend $300K on a house in Georgia (if we move there). I'm hoping for half that, if I can get DH to adjust his expectations. (Our house in OR was over $300K, just for comparison, but I keep downgrading my price range. I want to spend less and worry about money less!)

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-17-2012 - 9:29pm
Hilarie, that does sound like a good price. So hopefully non-lake front properties will be reasonable as well.

The littles had soccer. Maddy is getting in there better this year. I just have to encourage her to not be afraid to go after it even if someone else is. (Our league is co-ed at this age...actually, its just kids from our 4 elementaries they divide up into teams and play against each other. (4 teams of 1st thru 3rd, and 4 of 4th thru 6th) Makes it nice because all games are at our high school. Livi gets to play on a girls team on Thursday and they're going to scrimmage another district. That will be good for her. And one of the best things I've heard lately is Brenna said tonight she's thinking of playing soccer next fall. Yay! I really hope she does. I'd be thrilled!

I'm getting ready to go to bed now. And I'm going to bed with a smile on my face--- my mom called me just a couple minutes ago! Its been SO long since she could do that. And she sounded great! Just made me smile from ear to ear! Best thing that happened all day. :smileyvery-happy:
Photobucket

Pages