Daily Chatter 9-17-12

iVillage Member
Daily Chatter 9-17-12
Mon, 09-17-2012 - 6:35am

Morning.  :smileyhappy:

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-19-2012 - 7:39pm
I've been reading, just not posting. Haven't had much to say.

Did I not post all day??? My mom didn't get moved. Its a HUGE mess right now. They wont take her at the other places because she doesnt have insurance yet. We've been waiting to get her medicaid approved. We found out today they wont approve it because she has a house she's not living in. So now we're scrambling to get it sold. We called the realtor again and called the pastor to see if they're still wanting it. Then we need to get a quote from the contractor for the 3 season room my mom still wants to add on. He gave us a verbal quote (same for the remodeling), which isnt going to be enough. That will let her keep a little bit of money from the house...the rest will have to go to medical bills, and that wont even put the tiniest dent in it, so not sure why it matters.

Laura, hope the dog is better soon. Glad they found the kid that was causing the issue, but I agree--hope he learned his lesson. Makes you wonder though... I've never been to that site, but I've seen some pics from it.

Hilarie, did you have a chance to nap today?

Nothing big here. Came home and got groceries. Just finished listening to Maddy read. (Once a week she brings home a book to read to someone, then she has to read it at school for her teacher tomorrow (some kids read to me)) She's started chapter books and chose a magic schoolbus book.

I slept a little better last night and hoping to do the same tonight.

A lady from church brought us dinner for tomorrow night. I'm so happy. We're having stuffed shells, salad, garlic bread and these cheesecake things for dessert. Best meal we'll have all week for sure.

Livi is having friends over Friday for her b-day. We'll have spaghetti (dont feel like buying pizza) and then go to the football game. They can have cupcakes when we get home, and Saturday morning we'll take them home after soccer. :smileyhappy: Sunday we'll have the family party. What stinks is I'll be going to see Mom Saturday in Cbus, so I'm not sure when I'm going to get everything made. Sigh...

Andrea, glad the weather wasn't too bad for you. Hope Phoebe gets over her sickness quickly.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-19-2012 - 8:56pm
Lori, sorry for the mess with your mom. Wow - what a lot to deal with all at once! I hope you can figure out the house situation quickly and be done with that. So, will she have to stay at the hospital until her house sells (I mean, if she's not ready to come home, of course)? Ugh.

Laura, that sounds scary. I hope it being "just" a dumb kid was all it was and not something more. I hate stories like that!

I haven't heard of dog shaming. Might check that out. Sounds funny.

The girls played with the way-down-the-street neighbor girl again today. I took her home and talked to both parents when I dropped her off. They seem really nice/friendly.

Work is busy. Busy, busy, busy. But fine. Just need to power through the next week or so.

Oh - and my mom sent me a "weird" email. Sometimes she seems so random, but I'm sure she goes through her own thought process - just doesn't share it with me until the end or something. She emails me today that she put her house on the market (condo, really), open house on the 30th. Um, what??? She's her condo board secretary, has been super-involved, in charge of all plant buying and telling the work crew where to plant, she just got a community web site up and running, etc. I mean super-involved. She resigned as secretary (which she "had" to do because she finally got a job - which is the same job she had last - just that it's a contract/term position, so it eventually ends). She didn't really "have to" resign, but the position was volunteer and a lot of work, so she used that as her excuse. But to just up and move??? Weird. She wants to live somewhere "professionally managed" (which she had been fighting for on her condo board) and cheaper. I don't know what she'll find that's cheaper in that area, but I pointed out that the south is much more reasonably priced. :smileyhappy:

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 11:05am

Hello out there... (Hello....    hello.....)    **Crickets**

You're all quiet.  :smileyhappy:

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 12:29pm
Sorry, Had to get Phoebe on the bus this morning and then drop off Harry. By the time I got to work I had to go straight to a required annual Sexual Harassment training that lasted for a little more than 3 hours!!!! Now I'm finally at my desk eating my lunch - I' starved!! At least Phoebe woke up feeling okay - a little bit of a sore throat, but otherwise she said she felt okay so back to school for her today. Can't wait until DH gets home tomorrow.

Hilarie, We live on a small street and there are many days that the kids will all head to each others house for a bit afterschool - it's actually really nice that they are all pretty close in age and get along well. It works out for the bus too - we have all signed a letter so we can get each others kids off the bus if we can't get to the bus in time. I worry because I can get home in time for the bus as long as the road going over the mountain is fine, but any delays once you start over the mountain and you're stuck - so it's nice to know that the neighbors will watch her until I can get there! Do you think your Mom would move to FL?

Lori, Sorry about the medicaid confusion, I had a friend who went through the medicaid thing for her Mom a few years ago and it was painful. Even worse for here was her Mom was in Oklahoma and she was in NY so everything was being done long distance. It will get accomplished eventually though !! Yay to already having dinner for tonight!!

Laura, I'm glad it turned out to be a kid and hopefully he'll learn his lesson. I suppose it is encouraging though that the school responded so quickly as well as the adults that were on the playground.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 12:47pm

Andrea, glad Phoebe made it to school today. Sounds like a super-hectic morning for you! No, my mom won't move to FL. She would consider central Washington, because she likes the weather there (vacations there often). She says it's too hot/humid here, but she sure likes it when she comes here in the fall/winter/early spring! (It's just the summers that are worse.)

My morning was busy. Got the kids up/out. Then ran. Then showered (while trying to stop sweating) in order to (barely) make it to school in time to volunteer at 9:40. I just cut out pumpkins this time, which is fine with me. But the teacher had Allison come out to say "hi" (I work outside the room), so that was nice. Plus, I got to see her working in the classroom - she's so focused. I love watching her learn.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 12:53pm
Almost forgot what got me on here - question for you all (in case you're reading with nothing to say) -

How do you keep your papers that you need to deal with? (Have I asked this before?) A school paper that you need to return next week or end of month. A permission slip due next week. Maybe bills to pay? Schedules you'll need for a few months (for sports?). Anything like that. Do you have an inbox? A filing system (if so, how do you remember to not forget what you've put out of sight)? Do you keep something in the kitchen? office? I'm working on that for us - instead of just stacking papers and hoping nothing gets missed (which works okay for us, actually - but it's messy). Any nifty systems you can share with me??

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 2:47pm
Hilarie, We do a combination of what you and Laura do - any school stuff I try to get right back into her folder and send back as quick as I can. Bills or whatever get stacked in a pile on a side table in the kitchen. Like you said kind of messy, but gets the job done. Appointments get put onto my calendar as quick as I can.

Laura, Too bad the meeting was so mellow last night - hopefully the next one will be better!!

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 6:45pm
Hilarie, I keep everything I need on the counter. It's in the way so I address it every day. We have magazine orders and popcorn orders going on right now.

I do online bills but still get statements. Those go straight to the file, unless the amount due is not what I expect and have to follow up. I usually do that right away and then file it. I have a file for receipts and a file for miscellaneous. That's where most everything else I need/want to keep falls, like ticket stubs, programs, instructions to the coffee maker, etc. All of these files are in a file box that you recommended. I absolutely love this solution. I used to even have it in the car, remember? I'm settled enough now to just have it on the built-in desk in the kitchen. Once a month I clean it out and move everything to the permanent files. It's been the best thing for me.

Schedules all go on a calendar, written in, and the actual schedules and picture forms clipped to the back with a binder clip. I use a command hook to hang it on the back of our door to the garage. I keep the bottom held down with one of those plastic slide things we used for reports back in the day. I put a strip of magnet on it then slide the bottom of the calendar in it and it sticks to our metal door. No flopping around!

For school papers, I put them in a small cardboard moving box (a book box actually) marked with the year and school on it and just drop them in every Friday. I go through to address any issues, find any notes sent home then, kerplunk, they are gone. I figure one day I will not be emotionally attached to them and be able to throw most away.

A daycare kiddo has lice so today was lice check day. I had her check me because I am paranoid about them. T slept in our bed this week! He doesn't have them either. Thank. Goodness.

Soccer was not good Tuesday. It is too unstructured for him. I'll give him more chances but I tell him he needs to make better choices on how to act. I hope DH can be to the next one. It was freezing that night, too! I wore shorts and sandals, which would have been alright, except it was late enough dew started collecting on the grass and my toes were ice cubes. Tomorrow night we get to try again.

That's about it. Busy day today. I'm trying to get together with the other den leader for a planning session tonight.

Wendi

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-21-2012 - 6:52am
Morning.

I've been interrupted so many times while reading the last posts that I'm sure I'm going to forget things. Sorry in advance. :smileyhappy:

Wow Hilarie, so your mom put her place up for sale but doesn't have a place to move? G/l to her.

Andrea, I hope your morning is a little less hectic today! :smileyhappy:

Laura, glad there was at least a little bit of happiness at your meeting. Yuck to the air quality.

Wendi, I hope soccer goes better tonight. (Tonight?) Livi got to play with a girls team against another school last night, and she scored our only goal! :smileyhappy:

Got cookies baked yesterday after school for band tonight. (We do cookies for our band and the visiting band at half time of the football games) Didn't get cupcakes baked. Maybe today after school. Livi is having 4 friends over for her b-day.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-21-2012 - 6:55am
Oh, and about the papers... If the girls bring home something that needs signed, I do it and send it right back. Otherwise its likely to get lost. All activities (sports, music, meetings, etc) go on the calendar that hangs on the side of the fridge. I have 2 heavy magnet clips that hold things on the fridge as well. Not always pretty, but it works. What I need is a place to keep bills and such so they quit accumulating on the bar. The thing is I still get mail for my gpa, and now Mom's, so its just a big mess.
Photobucket