iVillage Member
Daily Chatter 9-24-12
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 6:50am

Morning.  :smileyhappy:

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 7:39am

Ooh - I thought I'd end up starting the thread today, but it's already here!

It's 60 degrees out!!!!! The forecast says mid-80s all week with lows of 69-70 - but it is most certainly 60 right now. Weird. But I'm looking forward to running in cooler temps today! It was actually a little "chilly" feeling when I stepped out with the cat. Of course, I haven't felt under 70 for so long (other than when we were in Oregon) that it's just weird!

Busy day today with work. I worked 1.5 hours last night, and I think I finished what I committed to having done by 10:00 this morning. I didn't send it yet, because I wanted to take one last look this morning. But my to-do list this week is a little out of control. No idea why everything came to a head all at once!

And "curriculum night" tonight for M's class. At which time I ask the teacher why I haven't received any newsletters, no communication from the room mom, nothing (again - because I emailed her Thursday - no response!). (I receive a bunch of school-wide emails from Allison's class, so I know we're supposed to be receiving them, but no one from M's class emails them - at least to me!)

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 11:14am
Hilarie, hopefully you can find out whats up with the emails. Enjoy the run in the coolness. Thats all the warmer its supposed to get here today.

Laura, have a nice day with Calla. Sounds like fun. Its cool here too...in the 30s this morning. We had a frost advisory last night and tonight! Yikes---thats early for here!

Nothing else much happening. I'm hoping this will be an easy week. We have high school conferences and then soccer tonight, then nothing else until football on Friday. I might even go get groceries after soccer so I dont have to go out the rest of the week! :smileyhappy:
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 11:21am
Laura, I hope Calla has a nice day with you today. Will she sit around while you work?

Lori, a calm week sounds lovely! I hope you can manage it!

I emailed another mom (because I was RSVPing to a b-day party) and she said she doesn't get emails, either. And the teacher takes forever to get back to her when she emails or asks something when she volunteers. (The teacher has never gotten back to me about volunteering, even though I said I would!) She's hating it, too. I think I might call the principal... :smileysad:

It's already up to 79 here. But at least it was under 70 when I ran. Nice for a change!

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 9:44pm
Laura, glad you guys had a nice day. Can you see the smoke, or just smell it? I'd be interested to see pics if its noticeable. I still cant imagine! I dont ever remember having lego sets, just legos to play with.

Andrea, glad Phoebe is on some meds and hope she starts feeling better soon. Its nice she gets the extra day off to rest. G/l with the biopsy tomorrow!

Hilarie, did you get some answers from the teacher? (It was tonight, right?)

We had high school conferences tonight. I only talked with 2 teachers. We wanted to talk to Ali's German teacher because she'd like to get 4 years of German in, but is just in German 1 this year. So we wanted to know if we got a tutor over the summer if she could test out of German 2 and just do German 3 next year. Her teacher thought it would be ok, but we had to talk to the principal. We had to wait forever for that because he was in a meeting. Finally chatted with him, and he said they have the paperwork for it, and she'd even get credit for it (probably not have to test out of it, just do it like summer school). The best thing about it----my aunt is the German teacher at a neighboring high school, and she said she'd tutor Ali over the summer. :smileyhappy:
Then on to the little girls soccer. It was chilly! Frost advisory tonight. :smileysad: But around 70 the next 2 days, so not so bad. I'm not ready to put away my capris and get out my long pants, as I have so many more pairs of capris to choose from.
Then to get groceries, so at least that is done (hopefully for the week!).

Now I'm heading to bed.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 6:59am
Morning.

Yay for Calla getting to move up a little! Wow to the smoke. I cant even imagine the health issues that must be causing.

I'm thinking about taking Olivia out for dinner tonight. I've been taking each of the girls out for their b-days, and she hasn't gotten to go yet. I have a free kids meal at Applebees for her, maybe she'll want to do that, but ultimately its her choice.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 7:48am
Morning! Running a bit behind but wanted to check in.

It's our 13th/19th anniversary today. Too bad we can't really celebrate. I have a contact lens check after work then soccer game this evening.

We moved violin lessons to Wednesdays. Now my only night free from activity is Thursdays. Ugh!

Cub Scouts last night. My child was the worst there. There's one boy from his class who eggs him on and just gets him in trouble. Same happens at school. The boy does a lot of attention-getting actions and he told me the meeting was boring, twice, and told T he hated me. T really took that hard. We had a talk about best friends and how they should treat us last night.

Ahhh! Got to get my kiddo in the shower before school. Hope you all have a good day!

Wendi

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 8:07am
Andrea, too bad Phoebe's still sick! I hope she can rest today and tomorrow and be fully recovered by when she goes back to school on Thursday! Sorry you didn't find any legos. Did you find some other good stuff? Oh, and I hope the biopsy goes well and nothing scary is found...

Laura, that smoke has been going on for a month?? Brutal! When we had smoky days, it was just a few days, and the smoke wasn't visible all day long (even if we could smell it). Nothing like that! I'm glad you had a nice day with Calla yesterday. And yay for her being moved to a separate dance class! Hopefully they can learn a little more without the beginners in there!

Lori, that's cool that A can test out of German (and get tutored by your aunt!). Have a nice dinner with Livi tonight!

Wendi, sorry T's acting up. Can you keep him away from the other kid? Good for you, talking to him about how our friends should behave. That kid sounds like a stinker. Happy anniversary!!!

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 8:15am
The curriculum chat last night was good. Another mom and I talked about how uncommunicative the teacher is. She said she has asked to be "key communicator" (the mom who forwards all the school emails - every class has one) and has emailed her 3 times to ask for email addresses without getting any response! Sheesh!!!

The teacher seemed pretty on top of things with what she's doing with the kids. Mostly. She sounded really overwhelmed when she described the books and big science kits she has (like it was all just too much for her to have it all in her room - weird). But I was feeling decent about her. She did say she prefers notes, rather than emails. Bah - who writes notes these days??? They're just slower - you have to wait at least until the end of the day for a response!

Well, after the chat, I asked her (off to the side) two small questions. Then she seemed really flustered and like she was deferring answering "I'll get to that later", which is how I always feel with the email responses (or lack or responses), too. As long as she's doing a good job with the kids, I suppose that's what matters most.

The assistant principal returned my call after the meeting (I had left her a message in the morning). She asked my concerns. I did say it sounded like she had things under control IN the classroom - it was just a complete lack of communication with the parents (and I told her several other parents had said the same thing). So she said she'd see that something changes. She did say that newsletters aren't required (although we've never had a teacher who didn't do them at least monthly). So, we'll see...

Also, I found an iPod touch in the parking lot. Stepped on it, actually. When I got there, no one was in the office, so I took it home. We poked around, found several people with the last name "XXX" in the contact list. It said "Matt's iPod" in the name slot (??). Then I found an email to Matt "XXX", so I was hoping it was his and emailed him. Sure enough - he thinks it was lost last Thursday. It has rained several times since then, so I'm not so sure (or else it wouldn't likely be working). Anyway, I'll leave it at the school Thursday and he'll pick it up. Whew. I wish we couldn't find the owner so Megan could have an iPod touch, but I'm glad I was able to help someone out. :smileyhappy:

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 10:28am
Ahhh, you guys posted too much today. I'm having one of those mornings...

Not enough time to finish reading and commenting...I'll do that when I come back for lunch.

Here is what we're doing for the halloween party this year. The girls are really excited. Alexis has one friend who comes to school every day and says, "One more day closer to your halloween party" lol.
http://www.mymysteryparty.com/muatwaascoba.html

Ok, back in a few.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 11:25am
Ok, I'm back. :smileyhappy:

Wendi, happy anniversary! Sorry about T at the meeting. I agree...could you keep them apart?

Hilarie, I hope they get everything worked out with the communication at the school. Our teachers are required to do a weekly newsletter (by the principal). They send home hard copies, but also must post it on the website. Nice that you found the owner of the ipod.

Laura, I feel your pain on the fundraiser thing. We're at the end of the chicken bbq tickets right now. (Its next Friday) I usually dont really try too much with those, but since the profits from the tickets we sell go directly to the girls and their trip, I've been pushing. I also know 3 kids who aren't going on the trip, and they sold tickets and donated their profits to us. So very thankful for that!

Gotta get ready for cafeteria duty. Hopefully the 1st grade teacher decides to buy tickets. Yesterday he seemed pretty excited at the idea, and was going to go ask his wife and inlaws if they all wanted some. Would be nice. :smileyhappy:
Photobucket

Pages