Thoughtful Thursday 12/3

iVillage Member
Thoughtful Thursday 12/3
Thu, 12-03-2009 - 6:15am

What do you do to be "thoughtful"?

lori010910.jpg picture by lambball

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-03-2009 - 6:53am

I volunteer at church and school. At this school I have to volunteer for 40 hours to get discounted tuition but even if this wasn't the case I would do it. It's so much fun for me. I love helping people and

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-03-2009 - 8:17am

I volunteer at church (making communion bread and setting up for communion Sundays, work in the nursery, help with dinners and youth, etc). I volunteer at least one day a week at school helping Livi's teacher copy papers and getting stuff ready for the next week.

lori010910.jpg picture by lambball

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-03-2009 - 11:40am

Hmmm, lets see.

At church I work in the nursery about once every 3 months and I am a teacher for the 1st grade Children's Church once a month. I also like to help out with meals for family who need it when they have a baby, sickness or death in the family.

I work full time so I have a hard time finding time to volunteer so we donate when we can to missions and the church. I also like to bake so every now and then I will make some goodies and then bring them over to neighbors or friends, especially around the holidays.

We are trying to teach Liam about donating his own money. I told him the other day that he needed to give some to the church and he said, "no thanks. I will just take your money to give to the church." We then realized that he needs to earn some money so that he is continually getting more money which will make it easier to donate. He empties the dishwasher for me, makes his bed and cleans his room, sets the table, cleans the table and each chore is a quarter. He gets really excited about doing this and asks when can he do a chore to get a quarter.

He just recently has been saying that he wants to buy something for Jake for Christmas, which I thought was sweet. We may need to do a bunch more chores for that one, but I am excited that he is learning to spend his money on other people.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 12-03-2009 - 12:45pm

Very cool to hear what everyone is up to.

I tried to be a teacher at church-but quickly realized that isn't my gift. I have volunteered in the kitchen occasionally. We like to supply the snacks for everyone to eat between services & Calla LOVES to help me bake for that. We also get several people for the Christmas basket project & buy presents for them. We also donate food for this too.

At Calla's school they do quite a few different service projects. Currently they are collecting food & presents to take to the food bank. In January they collect cake mix, frosting, b-day candles, etc... and take them to the childrens shelter so they can do b-day cakes there. The do something else in the spring too.

This last summer we had a lemonade stand & donated the money that we made to the childrens shelter then too. Calla LOVED that and it started some great conversations about kids who are at the shelter & why they are there. She is at the right age for that I guess. We also got a WONDERFUL letter back from the director of the shelter. that was perfect & I totally appreciated the effort that she took to send it to us.

We also have her tithe 10% of the money she gets back to the church. So-if someone gives her a dollar she takes ten cents to church that week. That's how I always grew up doing it so it is just the way we wanted to start with her too.

Lastly-we talk to her about when we donate money to other things too.

-Laura

DD 1/24/05

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-03-2009 - 1:07pm

Laura, oh, don't get me wrong... I don't "teach" I am just in charge of the 1st grade class when we do the craft. The do story and songs all together so it is not that involved for me. ;) I am not gifted as a teacher either. I am kind of a "behind the scenes" person. I don't like to take the lead on things but if you ask me to bake something, I am all over that! ;)

That sounds like a great idea on how to get the little ones to tithe. Maybe we should have a separate jar for tithe money. We really haven't enforced the tithing on Liam yet. Still trying to figure out what the best way to go about it is. My parents never made us tithe until we got jobs. We never got chore money so I guess that makes sense. My parents just gave us a quarter for the offering and that is kind of what I am falling into with Liam. DH is not help because he didn't grow up in a Christian family so this is all new to him.

Photobucket