Are my kids becoming hoarders? LOL

iVillage Member
Are my kids becoming hoarders? LOL
Fri, 03-22-2013 - 2:12pm

I started a similar thread on the "six & seven year old" board but thought I'd try here too.

My kids have so much STUFF in their rooms! It's like they are becomine hoarders or something! Their rooms are just so full of...clutter for lack of a better word. Both my husband and I tend to be pretty neat people so this is driving us batty. It's not even like all toys or anything. Candy wrappers, rocks from the backyard, part of a shoelace (?!?). Whenever I try to talk them into getting rid of some it, they claim some sort of sentimental attachment to it. Help!

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-28-2013 - 2:40am

LOL! My kids are a bit older than yours but they definitely went through this phase! They're a little beter now but I distinctly remember my oldest son hugging and clinging on to an old washing maching that had broken, begging us not to get rid of it. Laughing It seemed like the could form an attachment to anything!!!

My best trick to deal with it was to get rid of "stuff" when they were at school. Nine time out of ten, they never missed it if they weren't here when it went away.

Good luck!