Whats surgery has most painful recovery?

iVillage Member
Whats surgery has most painful recovery?
Fri, 12-15-2006 - 11:59pm

So, Dh and I got into a discussion today about surgeries. I

Powered by CGISpy.com

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-16-2006 - 12:17am
I'm just guessing that something like a lung or heart transplant is pretty awful! I'm sure any kind of amputation sucks as well. But, them are man parts - that's gotta be scary, really!! Sympathize with the poor man!!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Nolan_9_07a-1.gif picture by wmloud

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-16-2006 - 12:21am

Liposuction was the most painful recovery for me by far. They separate the skin from the tissues and muscles to get at the fat, and there's a lot of healing to do from that. I couldn't sit up unassisted for 2 weeks, and my thighs hurt to touch for months afterwards. And it's not even permanent! I got plenty fat years later, but I've always lost it the hard way since then. I would not care to repeat the experience.

The most painful surgery to undergo was my first nose job. I was awake for it, and I cried the whole way through. And the guy did such a crappy job I had to have it redone later anyway. All that excruciating agony AND expense for nothing! Grrrr!

Boobjobs were easy, no recovery time at all, really. I was out of bed and trying on bras in lingerie stores two days after surgery, and back in front of the cameras after 2 weeks, good as new.

My second nosejob wasn't so bad, since I was asleep for that one. Although when they remove the packing stuffed up in your sinuses that didn't feel so hot. I nearly yakked on the doctor when he started pulling big long wads of cotton out of my nose!! EWWW!!! LOL!

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-16-2006 - 12:29am
I find those "extreme makover" shows very interesting and can manage to watch every detail EXCEPT the nose jobs. I have to look away for those...ICKY! Just READING about yours made me shudder...
Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Powered by CGISpy.com

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-16-2006 - 12:33am
I think any surgery where they crack your chest would be pretty darned painful. Also any surgery involving abdominal wall muscles hurts like heck. I have heard that a vasectomy isn't that bad, actually.

ethan5luke3sig

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-16-2006 - 12:36am

bowel resection is hands down the most painful recovery, seriously.

As for DH not wanting the V because it will be painful, he's welcome to talk to my dh. It wasn't painful at all. He had minor discomfort that he equated with a headache (pun?) that tylenol and a little ice and some down time took care of. It's NOT painful, espeically in comparision to c-sec, or even to you going in and having a tubal. And the recovery is much, much easier for men.

ETA: I forgot to mention that I have an extremely high pain threshold and coming out of my resection surgery, I refused to see anyone. My parents and DH were totally crushed, but I just couldn't let anyone I loved see me like that. BTW, a resection is when they cut the bowels apart and sew the healthy ends back together, I had over 12 inches of dead bowel removed after my last baby was about a month old. They did the resection August 4th and I was just finally back on my feet in October! It was sheer hell!

Edited 12/16/2006 12:41 am ET by momtb4
iVillage Member
Sat, 12-16-2006 - 12:45am

Thats what I have heard too.