Am I a bad mom?

iVillage Member
Am I a bad mom?
Tue, 08-01-2006 - 11:40am

Connor is 4 weeks old and doing very well. He sleeps well, eats well... poops well, lol. But me, I'm the one having troubles. I can't fall back asleep after the 2 AM feeding... So I am getting like 3-4 hours of sleep per night and that's it. It's driving me insane, especially since he is such a good sleeper etc...

Is it bad of me to change his feeding schedule so that I will be able to sleep through the night? I have never let him go longer than 5 hours before, but with this new schedule he will be having a feeding at 11:30 and then we would let him go until he woke up, which would probably be about 5:00-5:30.

My friend says it's ok to go that long - especially since I will be giving him more at the other feedings to make up for going from 7 feedings per day to 6... what do you all think?

Willow

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-01-2006 - 11:47am
No your not a bad mom!! It is okay to let them sleep til he wakes! My son is 9 weeks and we have been feeding on demand since like 3 weeks or so! i say let the baby sleep!!!! Do what you feel is best for your baby! He will be just fine!Don't worry!!! HTH! Good Luck! I wish Miguel slept that long!!!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Daisypath Ticker

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-01-2006 - 12:25pm

NO you are not a bad mom. I have been feeding on demand since day one and he has put himself on a schedule. He wakes around the same time everyday to eat. Don't worry he will let you know when it is time to eat. If you are worried he won't wake up set your alarm for the time you want to feed him and wake him up. It will all work out. HTH

Leeanna

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-01-2006 - 1:55pm

I agree, it would be fine to do that. Baby will let you know if he's hungry. I've been demand feeding too, and he has got himself on a night time schedule, so I wouldn't worry about it! They wake up if their hungry!! ANd they make up for the longer sleep at night in the day. HTH!

Leah

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-01-2006 - 2:51pm
OH yeah, I say go ahead and let him sleep! Audrey is 7 weeks and sleeps 8 hours at night most nights, I just leave her be! It's uncomfortable for me right now, lol, as I wake up very engorged about an hour before she does, but it's a good compromise, my milk will regulate before too long and it won't be a problem anymore!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-01-2006 - 3:15pm

The 11-5 schedule you are taking about is what we actually have our DS on. Go for it if he'll sleep that long, and he's gaining weight and is healthy. He's old enough to go that long without a feeding.

Carrie
James 03/20/05
Charlie 06/04/06

Photobucket

www.mysp
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-01-2006 - 3:25pm

I really appreciate all the reassurance from you all. So far today he is doing well with the 3.5 hour schedule... we'll see how the night goes. :)

Willow

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-01-2006 - 6:04pm

I don't think you're a bad mom. My son gets a bottle at 10pm and I let him sleep until he wakes which is around 6 the next morning.

Hope it works out for you. Good Luck.

Lilypie 1st Birthday TickerPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-01-2006 - 9:47pm

I am PRECISELY like you - I cannot go to sleep again after feeding Rhynn in the middle of the night. The sleep deprivation is starting to drive me insane. Go RIGHT ahead and change the feeding schedule! My ped gave me the go-ahead at Rhynn's 4-week appt. to let her sleep through the night if she wants to.

She's starting to sleep 5 hours straight, and even twice slept SEVEN! It was bliss.

You are NOT a bad mom. If he's hungry, he'll wake up and tell you so!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"'Cause love's such an old-fashioned word, and love dares you to care for the people on th
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-02-2006 - 2:53pm

I'm also having a hard time falling asleep at night - both when we put her down and after her 3am feeding. Some nights it takes me two hours to fall asleep. I know it's because I'm so tense and anxious that Bridget isn't really asleep, that she'll start crying any minute. But knowing that you have to relax and actually relaxing are two different things! I've been trying to let her sleep since she was three weeks old. At night Bridget can usually go about 5 hours since her last feeding...but if she's having a hard time falling asleep, sometimes that's only 3 or 4 hours of sleep, plus however long it takes me to get to sleep...which makes for one tired mama! She did go seven hours one night after I put her in her carseat. That much sleep was worth the engorgement!

~Katie,
mommy to Molly (2 yrs)
and Bridget (4 wks)

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-03-2006 - 11:19am
Not a bad mom at all.
Your son will know when he is hungry and will wake u to eat when hungry.
I say do what you think is best.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Pages