Bottle feeders: What kind of bottle??

iVillage Member
Bottle feeders: What kind of bottle??
Tue, 08-01-2006 - 2:15pm

I'm slowely weaning Natalie from the breast due to low milk supply and I am currently using playtex with the bags. I was thinking about getting the Playtex VentAir, but there is alot of bad reveiws on them. Natalie has alot of gas, burps really big after every 1 oz and spits up quite a bit. I do not like Avent.

What bottles are you using and does your baby do good on them?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-01-2006 - 2:40pm
I used Ventaire with DD#1 and they worked really good with keeping the air bubbles out, however they are a pain to clean and you have to break open the nipple hole at first. DD#1 wouldnt take any other bottle. With DD#2 I am using advent because they are easier to clean. DD#2 isnt picky at all about her bottle so Im sticking with whats easier to clean.
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-01-2006 - 3:02pm

I am using the vent air as well, but with the fast flow nipplies, the slow flow only frustrated Connor.

Willow

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-01-2006 - 3:27pm
after much trying i am using second nature with my son. It takes a bit of work but no bubbles. he burpes after 3 oz then once again after 4 oz. never chokes. good luck
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-01-2006 - 5:05pm
I had to wean Annabel for the same reason (it's happened with all four of my babies). I am using the Dr. Brown's bottles. She hated them at first, but when I tried Avent bottles instead she hated them too, I think it was just the change from breast to bottle overall. It's been two weeks today since she weaned completely and she takes the Dr. Brown bottles like a pro now. She still spits up quite a bit (she did on breastmilk too) but she's never gassy and isn't fussy like my first two babies were on the bottles. That was before the Dr Browns were available.
TJ

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-01-2006 - 6:27pm

Kerri- We gave Hayden EBM for the first time last week (or so, i think!) I gave him Dr. Browns. I also have the Medela (from my manual pump) and platex with the bags. I dont know why i chose the Browns the first time, but they worked. There's no nipple confusion or anything.
(now typing 1handed)
I did some work with an occupational therapist whao did swallow studies on infants for reflux, she recommended dr.browns

-stephanie

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-01-2006 - 9:55pm

Oddly, I'd gone to buy the Playtex Ventairs just before Rhynn was born, too, and a lady in Babies R Us said "Nooo, don't get those, they leak. I hate them." So I got the Playtex Nursers instead. I also bought an Avent, a Gerber and an Evenflo, just to see which one Rhynn would like best.

And my MIL bought us some VentAirs.

Guess what - Rhynn LOVES the VentAirs best. By far. She barely even needs a burp cloth when drinking from them. I actually love them, too, have never had any problems with them leaking or anything, the nipples are the perfect shape for Rhynn's far-back sucking instinct to be triggered by them....

I'm not sure what the bad reviews were, but we love them :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"'Cause love's such an old-fashioned word, and love dares you to care for the people on th
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-02-2006 - 5:46pm

I'd say DR BROWNS all the way...

Kellie

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-02-2006 - 10:54pm

The only bottles we've had any luck with are the Dr. Brown's with the more narrow nipple (not the wide based). All other nipples (Playtex, Avent, Gerber) have too fast of a flow and he's never gotten the hang of wide based nipples.

They are supposed to be good for gas and our lactation consultant says Dr Brown's and Avent are the two brands she recommends.

The only downside is that they have an extra two-piece part, so more pieces to wash. Also, they occasionally leak/dribble.

I can't say that I love them, but they're the only kind he'll really take.

HTH!

Kelly

Mommy to Nicholas Lane (5.31.06)

~Kelly

married to Len
Mama to Nicholas Lane, May 2006
expecting baby number two November, 2008!!

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-03-2006 - 12:02pm
Adding my vote on the topic for Dr. Brown's. There are sort of a lot of parts to wash with them (they have a vent stem inside), but I think it's worth it as she does not get gassy at all with them. Good luck!
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-03-2006 - 8:20pm
I BF but Camryn gets a bottle of EBM each day. I started using Avent and we really haven't had any problems, but the nipple flow is a bit fast. DH has to stop every half ounce or ounce to burp her and make her slow down. I was going to switch brands but she will only get 2-3 bottles a day at most when I go back to work and I have a whole cabinet of avent bottles.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

Photobucket

Pages