...Dripping/Running down his chin...

iVillage Member
...Dripping/Running down his chin...
Tue, 08-01-2006 - 10:18pm

Hi Ladies,

Chase is 6 weeks today, and has been supplemented w either EBM or formula since about 2.5 weeks old (5-7oz/day). He is using a Gerber bottle, and slow flow Gerber nipples. Whenever he drinks, the formula or EBM runs down his chin (alot). This sure does get messy! Is this normal? Should I get different bottles? Preemie nipples? What do you suggest?

Thanks for your input,
Sam
DS BAILEY 8/26/01
Ds CHASE 6/20/06

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-02-2006 - 12:36am

I'm not too familiar with bottles. I BF, and Hayden gets MAYBE 3 bottles a week of EBM. We use the Dr. Brown bottles, size 1 nipple. However, i did work with an occupational therapist who did swallow studies on infants with reflux. And it does sound like the nipple size is probably too big, and hes sucking more than he can swallow/keep in his mouth. Id try a smaller size nipple

HTH
-Stephanie

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-02-2006 - 3:11am

Hi

Heres my experience with my 3 formula fed bottle babys
It doesnt sound like its your nipple if it was he would be gulping or pulling away alot & gasping doesnt sound like thats happening
If he is a BF baby he has to use a different latch & suck with a bottle could be he just hasnt mastered it yet. You could try switching bottles & nipple brands. I use playtex bottles (less air disposible liners) & my kiddos have all done really well with those.

If he smiles milk will run out if he sucks & spits it will run out. Kendra sometimes just wants her paci half way through a feeding & she will start sucking & spitting.
Keep a burp rag handy so that he is not soaked after a bottle.

Good Luck not sure how much this will help you.
Christina

Christina

Untitled-2

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-02-2006 - 3:25am

Annabelle does the same thing. I've noticed that the hungrier she is, the less messy she is. When she's really hungry, it's like she doesn't want to waste a drop and I don't even need to dab around her mouth with a cloth after she's finished... But if she's less hungry, or if the tv catches her eye during a feeding, she gets a little messier. :)

Jenna

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-02-2006 - 6:32am
LOL Maddie has been like that since day one.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting  

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-02-2006 - 10:27am

He kinda is gulping, and making another weird sound which sounds like he is swallowing air, or he is making a higher pitch sound has he gulps (hard to explain). But he doesn't usually pull away. As I said I am using slow flow gerber nips.

Sam

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-02-2006 - 10:40am
My Annabelle does the same thing...she has only had maybe a half a dozen bottles, but she is VERY messy.
Vicky

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-02-2006 - 11:12am

Bridget has an ebm bottle every night so she can bond with Daddy and I can get a break. I wish nipples came in half-sizes. We use Vent-Aire bottles, and because of my fast letdown, the size 1 is too slow for her. She either falls asleep before she's had a half ounce, or else she screams because she's not getting what she wants. We switched to a size 2 and she's much happier, but much messier! It's a little too fast, and most of the ebm ends up down her chin and on her onesie.

~Katie,
mommy to Molly (2 yrs)
and Bridget (4 wks)

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-02-2006 - 1:18pm

Gotta hate wasting that "liquid gold"!!!