DYK it's still October?

Community Leader
DYK it's still October?
Tue, 10-16-2012 - 3:25pm

Since our other October thread has a glitch...here's a new one. Happy chatting! :)

Michelle

Mom to Addison (8) & Gabriel (5)

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-21-2012 - 1:04pm

We are watching the Giants game now and then we have soccer at 3.  Practice for Camryn and Natalie's weekly session.  Cam has practice tomorrow and a game on wed and then she is done until after the new year.  Indoor starts then but its only an hour each saturday.  They both want to do swimming now.  I can sign them up starting tomorrow and it starts in 2 weeks.  After soccer we will probably go to my parents, but my mom went away for the weekend and I'm not sure when she will be back.  I have some charting to do too, but I was able to get all but 2 notes done.  

Photobucket
Community Leader
Sun, 10-21-2012 - 1:20pm
Sounds like a good day! Our old neighbor stopped responding to requests for playdates about a year ago...I think because Addison was bossy with their daughter and their daughter is a bit of an introvert. I used to worry about it but I've seen her in action with other kids and although she is a little bossy she doesn't have a mean bone in her body. I pull her aside if she is with younger kids that might not be as assertive but I figure the older ones can work it out. I've seen some of her friends at school being rude and I'm just thankful she isn't that way! (Yet, right?)

Michelle

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-21-2012 - 1:22pm

OK, I need to vent about DH's family for a bit.  So his dad has been disabled for years and they were barely getting by.  His mom worked, but only part-time because she is lazy.  His dad was finally awarded disability benefits through the VA (veterans administration) so his mom quit her job.  DH said that he was so bored when he was down there because all they do all day is sit around and watch TV.  His mom has always been morbidly obese but his dad was doing well for a while and lost a bunch of weight.  He was probably down to like 250 lbs.  Well now DH said he is up to like 320 lbs!!  I know its hard for him to be active because he has bad arthritis, but still.  And his brother still keeps blowing all his money and needs to be supported by his parents.  And his kids have gotten huge too.  The last time we saw them it was just our niece who was overweight but now our nephew is too.  All they eat is crap and just eat out all the time.  No wonder they have no money!!  They also have dental problems because they drink soda all the time.  Ugh...it bugs me when people don't take care of themselves and their kids when they have the opportunity to do it.  I'm sure getting groceries is cheaper than eating out every night.  And water is free!  So glad we don't live near them...I'd go crazy.

Photobucket
Community Leader
Sun, 10-21-2012 - 1:22pm
Ugh - we have missed swim lessons the last four weeks in a row (sick kids, travel and the instructor needing to attend a funeral)! I should schedule some makeups, so it's not money down the toilet. My schedule is so crazy right now though.

Michelle

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-21-2012 - 1:27pm

Last time I was able to schedule Camryn and Natalie in the same class but now they are in different age groups.  So there will be at least a half hour between their classes if I try to do it on the same day.  I might just split it up to 2 different days, althought I'd prefer to only have something 1 day a week.  We will see what they have open.  We aren't members of the Y so we get last dibs on registration.  

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-21-2012 - 1:29pm

Unfortunately I have caught Camryn being rude at times, but I reprimand her on the spot.  I actually think she got that from Nadia, considering she didn't learn it from home.  Or maybe she picked it up at school...who knows.  I just try to educate her on proper behavior and we talk about what she could have done or said differently.  

Photobucket
Community Leader
Sun, 10-21-2012 - 1:34pm
That is sad, Laurie. Although I wasn't overweight as a kid, I was around 30-35 lbs overweight in high school (around where I am now, unfortunately). I still get angry when I think about how my mom didn't give me more guidance and help avoiding the situation. She could have stopped buying crap and helped me learn how to eat healthy but she just kind of sat back and watched it happen. Granted, she was going through a divorce at the time, but still. I don't understand it. I eventually lost the weight but I did it by starving myself and exercising excessively and really screwed up my metabolism. It's not that she wasn't supportive...but she didn't give me the tools to help me make the right decisions. Those were the days of "carbs are good; fat is bad." Not her fault. But when you can see that your kid is gorging on sugar cereal and fried has browns...you stop buying them, right?

Michelle

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-21-2012 - 1:46pm

I hear you, Michelle.  DHs mom was always obese and he and his brother were very heavy as kids.  I guess she was sent to a fat camp and was restricted with her food when she was growing up and didn't want her kids to go through the same thing.  So instead she let them eat what they wanted and they got fat.  Makes no sense!  I know somethings its out of your control and I do believe that metabolism factors in.  Some people just have larger frames and are bigger.  But other times there are changes you can make in your lifestyle to be healthier.  And when you have those options and you do nothing about it...that's what bothers me.  And my SIL had mentioned something about her daughter being allergic to wheat and eggs or something like that.  I asked DH what she ate when they went out and he said she had chicken fingers and fries.  OK, so what happened to the allergy?  Then MIL said its just an intolerance.  But why are you letting her eat those foods if she has an intolerance?  I just don't understand.    

Photobucket
Community Leader
Sun, 10-21-2012 - 2:53pm
We had that same scheduling issue for swim. There was a half hour between lessons so we were there almost 2 hours. This last session the kids each moved up a level so I was able to at least get them back-to-back.

Michelle

Community Leader
Sun, 10-21-2012 - 2:55pm
Bah! I put A's new comforter on her bed and it is way too big. She has a daybed so between the quilt, comforter and her gazillion stuffed animals...it is too much. I'm going to return it to the store then order the toddler size online (they don't carry it in the store.) I think that will be perfect for her!

Michelle

Pages