Baby not gaining weight

iVillage Member
Baby not gaining weight
Thu, 02-11-2010 - 3:23pm
Hi ladies, I know I haven't been around and I promise to check in soon but I need your opinions. My great nephew Connor was born on January 21st. He weighed 7 lbs 5 oz at birth, 6 lb 15 oz when he left the hospital. Since then he has only gained 2 ounces. She was pumping and bottle feeding breast milk for the first 10 days and the last week has been all formula. He only gained 1 ounce this last week. The dr. said they want to check him again next week and will do some blood work if he hasn't gained a good amount. What are your thoughts?? Seems very wrong to me but I'm not sure what the problem would be or what they should do about it. Thanks for any feedback you can offer!
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-11-2010 - 4:11pm
Maybe her breast milk just wasn't cutting it. Maybe she wasn't producing enough of the "right" kind to make the baby gain weight. Hmmm. I don't know. It seems like he'd start gaining weight after 2 weeks on formula. I hope that's the case. Keep us posted.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-11-2010 - 4:58pm
My first thoughts were the same as Carmen's, maybe her breast milk wasn't cutting it and it's going to take his little body a minute to catch up to speed.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 02-14-2010 - 9:19am

My thoughts would be the same, that he wasn't getting enough of the hind milk to put the weight on..

Hopefully, he will start

Rock Stars