Baseball question

iVillage Member
Baseball question
Wed, 05-06-2009 - 12:47pm

So Cole had his first game last night and they did something we had never seen before. Basically each batter starts the count 1-1 so you only get 2 more strikes and 3 balls. I guess they do this to speed the game up and make it easier on the pitchers arm but it seems to make it that much harder to get a hit. Just wondering if anyone else does this or has ever heard of it.

PS-Cole struck out both times at bat and wasn't paying attention at 2nd base and missed an easy out. UGH!

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-06-2009 - 1:38pm

That sounds similar to our Coach Pitch.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-06-2009 - 3:11pm
I've never heard of it.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-06-2009 - 8:52pm

When the girls did coach pitch they did the deal with each kid getting so many pitches regardless of how they did.

signature

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-07-2009 - 11:32pm

I've never heard of doing it that way. Around here, pitchers are limited to 2 innings per game and you cannot catch after you pitch (you can catch then pitch, though). We have the normal 4 balls/3 strikes thing for the minor league (8-10 year olds). The games are shorter, though - either called by time limit or 7 innings. Or, if one team is up by a certain amount of runs, they stop keeping score (I can't remember how much you have to be up by).

When Ryan was in coach pitch last year, every child on the team got to bat each inning and you stayed up there until you hit the ball. Those games rarely went more than 2 innings.

Practice has started here, but I don't have a game schedule yet. They'll have 2 games per week when we get started, though.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photobucket