Curious Question

iVillage Member
Curious Question
Tue, 12-08-2009 - 10:07am

Our school district just released the new graduation requirements for students entering HS and I was wondering what they are in your area.

For the core curriculum, our kids HAVE to pass 4 years of English and Social Studies (1 term of Economics) 3 years of Science (Biology, Physical Science, Chem/Physics) and Math (Geometry, Adv Algebra and Pre Calc).

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: crit99
Tue, 12-08-2009 - 10:17am

Hmm...I'm not actually sure!

siggy-1.jpg picture by 1_luckymommy

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-08-2009 - 10:19am
It "should" be on your district website.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-08-2009 - 11:51am
GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS
The Boulder Valley School District requires
that a minimum of 220 credits be earned in
grades 9-12. The following credits must be
earned in the areas listed below:
Language Arts 40
Courses meeting L.A. requirements are
listed in the Language Arts section of
this guide. Students must complete fi ve
credits of Communications.
Social Studies 30
5 in U.S. Government*
5 in World Geography*
10 in World History
10 in U. S. History
(*CORE meets both of these.)
Math 20
(Must complete 10 credits
in Algebra 1 or higher)
Science 20
10 Life Science
10 Physical Science
Physical Education 15
Health (by grade 10) 5
Fine Arts (Art or Music) 5
World Language 10
Level 2 or higher. For ELL students
only, approved level of English language
acquisition
Practical Experience 5
5 credits in Computer Science or Applied
Technology, unless fulfi lled in middle
school; otherwise, 5 credits in Business,
Family and Consumer Science, Industrial
Tech or technical education course;
Money Management and Personal
Finance Requirement
(evidence of completion of a 12-hr.
course OR approved BHS course)
Approved Electives 70-80
disney.jpg picture by marieef
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-08-2009 - 10:56pm

Regina can't remember exactly. It's in her planner. And can we find the planner? No. lol

She's trying to explain it to me but it's complicated. I'll let you guys know when we find the official list.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-08-2009 - 11:00pm

Okay we found it

This is in years.

4 English
4 Math
4 Social Studies
3 Science
.5 Phys Ed
.5 Health
1 Fine Arts
1 Computer Class
At least 9 Electives
The entire Michigan Merit Exam:
The Michigan Merit Examination (MME) assesses students in grade 11 and eligible students in grade 12 based on Michigan high school standards. It is administered each March, and consists of three components:

* ACT Plus Writing® college entrance examination
* WorkKeys® job skills assessments in reading, mathematics, and "locating information"
* Michigan-developed assessments in mathematics, science, and social studies
http://www.michigan.gov/mde/0,1607,7-140-22709_35150---,00.html

Computer Technology Requirement
College Readiness
1 Language

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-09-2009 - 6:53am

It took some searching, but this is what I found:

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-09-2009 - 1:18pm

Language Arts 4 credits (8 semesters)
Social Studies 4 credits (8 semesters)
Mathematics 2½ credits (5 semesters)
Sciences 3 credits (6 semesters)
PE/Health 1½ credits (3 semesters)
Electives 7½ credits (15 semesters)
Total 22½ credits

All students must pass the Alaska High School Graduation Qualifying Exam (reading, writing and math) prior to receiving a diploma, as well as fulfill ASD graduation requirements.
Language Arts — 4 credits
English 9-1, 9-2, English 10-1, 10-2, and one semester of Composition during grades 11 or 12 plus three semesters of electives in grades 10, 11, or 12.

Social Studies — 4 credits
World History 9- 1 and 9- 2, U.S. History 10- 1 and 10 -2, one semester of Alaska Studies, one semester of Economics, one semester of United States Government, one semester of a Social Studies elective. Students may waive the .5 credit social studies requirement by completion of Level III of a world language (Latin, French, German, Japanese, Russian, or Spanish); immersion students may waive the .5 social studies requirement by completion of Japanese for Fluent Speaker II or Pacesetter Spanish.

Mathematics — 2.5 credits
Five semesters of Mathematics electives. Students must complete course work containing or founded in Algebra I level math skills or demonstrate Algebra I level skills by examination.

Sciences — 3 credits
Three years (six semesters) of science credit are required. Two semesters must be life science. Two semesters must be physical science.

Physical Education/Health Education — 1.5 credits
Three semesters of physical education graduation requirements can be fulfilled by passing the required Lifetime Personal Fitness course plus .5 credit from the lifetime activity courses (noted as such in course listings) plus .5 additional credit from any physical education class.

Students may obtain a waiver of .25 of the physical education graduation requirement for each full season of Anchorage School District sports participation. Elective credit must be earned to replace the Physical Education/Health Education requirement that is waived. A waiver of the physical education requirement under this section does not affect the overall minimum requirements of 22.5 credits.
Lifetime Personal Fitness can be waived by:
successful completion of a fitness and written test administered by Health and Physical Education Department; or
participation in two seasons of ASAA-sanctioned extracurricular sports and successful completion of the written test administered by the Health and Physical Education Department.
Students may also waive physical education requirements through Credit-By-Choice, correspondence, college coursework, or field study programs.
A maximum of 1.0 waiver of the physical education requirement is available upon completion of 1 full year of JROTC and the subsequent summer camp.
Lifetime Personal Fitness, Healthy Life Skills and First Aid are not repeatable upon receiving a passing grade in a previous semester.
Electives — 7.5 credits
Fifteen semester courses have not been specified so as to provide students an opportunity to pursue individual educational goals. Electives may include additional courses in Language Arts, Social Studies, Mathematics, Science, Technology, Fine Arts, World Languages, Physical Education and Career Technology.

NOTES:
A student may be considered for graduation when he or she has acquired a minimum of 22.5 credits after grade 8 in required and elective subjects. Depending upon High School Graduation Qualifying Exam results, either a diploma or certificate of achievement will be awarded.

Seniors entering the ASD for the first time may graduate by meeting requirements of their previous school when the ASD requirments create hardship.

signature

signature

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-09-2009 - 1:19pm
I find it interesting that here, students only need to be proficient in Algebra one to graduate but at other schools, algebra is considered remedial and doesn't even count as math credit. Hmmmm....
signature

signature

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-09-2009 - 1:44pm
I was thinking the same thing Christy...hmmmm.

Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-09-2009 - 2:18pm
Of course, I was also thinking that given the requirements of some of the schools, I wouldn't have graduated at ALL if I went to school now, rofl. The h.s. I went to sounds the most like Marie's. There wasn't some strict standards like some schools have. You actually could pick your "major" early on that would determine what your requirements were. It was nice since not ALL kids are going to go on to college (much as we would like them to) and the traditional requirements are college geared. For example, I was actually a "buisness" major in HS, so my "math" was accounting courses. I was still required to have so many math credits, but ti didn't have ot be the standard algebra, etc. There was a computer science major, and more technical geared (a vo tech school) classes as well. There was a lot of flexability in what could count as a credit for a course (for some majors, psychology counted in place of history, etc). It was nice and I would love for the girls to ahve the flexability.
signature

signature

Pages