Devin went to the dentist yesterday.

iVillage Member
Devin went to the dentist yesterday.
Thu, 05-21-2009 - 12:33pm

I have mentioned that Devin has some serious jaw and dental issues. He has an underdeveloped jaw and several missing teeth...teeth that just never grew in. Medical professionals said we had to take a "wait and see" attitude about it. Well, he have waited long enough and it affects his speech. He has no front upper teeth, and he needs them to talk.

We took him to the dentist yesterday and he gave us the low down. Devin has seven missing teeth...BUT he is getting molars and adult teeth that he shouldn't be getting for years. He has a couple of cavities that need to be filled ASAP and then we will get him on a maintenance plan (ever six months). The next step is the orthodontist where they will probably brace his adult teeth, and then put some "teeth" on the wire so he can have a complete set of teeth. That way as his mouth and jaw grows they can adjust them as necessary. When he becomes an adult, we can look at permanent implants.

I am glad we got some answers yesterday. He said it could fix a lot of the speech issues Devin has, and make him easier to understand.

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-21-2009 - 3:59pm
Well that has to make you feel a LOT better knowing that there is a plan.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-21-2009 - 4:35pm
I'm glad you finally got some answers and a plan.
Rock Stars
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-21-2009 - 8:06pm

YAY!!!!

I'm glad you got some answers.

Although it sounds like it's going to be a long process it sounds as if he's in good hands.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-21-2009 - 10:23pm
Well that seems hopeful. I hope something can be done to help him out.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-22-2009 - 7:18am
Patti, that sounds really promising. Glad to hear there is a plan for him and it will help him with the speech issues.

Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-22-2009 - 5:39pm
That's great that you have a plan.

siggy-1.jpg picture by 1_luckymommy

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-22-2009 - 7:04pm

Hey Patti.....I don't know if you remember me, but I am the other May Mom from Oregon. We actually got together once. I have not posted much since the twins (who are now 5) kept me pretty busy. Anyway just wanted to say that I am glad to hear about Devin. If worse comes to worse. OHSU has a great cranial facial panel of doctors who are awesome. We used them for one of the twins. I hope you find a job soon.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-22-2009 - 10:33pm

Katie! Of course I remember you!

We took Devin to the cranial facial team when he was a toddler. You are right, they are awesome. Very thorough.

Missi, I don't know details. Just an overview. All I want is for it to be as easy on him as possible.

Photobucket
Photobucket