Last night was the worst!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-01-2009 - 9:30am

That's ridiculous Kelley.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-01-2009 - 9:55am

WOW!!!!! Eloise has No where near that much!!

She gets 2 sheets of A4 paper. One page has her spelling words, Look, Cover, Write, every night. Plus some kind of Grammar thing maybe 2 things. The other has 2 -3 sets of Maths problems. There is enough for spelling & one other thing each night Monday to Thursday and they are supposed to get 20 minutes of reading to a parent signed off, but Eloise is so far ahead of grade level that is not required (brag, brag!!) She has had one major project that was in the middle of the year.

In a typical week Eloise has one night off where she doesn't dance or sing so she doesn't really do the homework & we have again struck a teacher who isn't bothered by it, especially as she is above grade level. This is the 3rd year in a row we have had a teacher like that! However, next year is 4th grade, which I think steps it up a little & I don't know any of the teachers at that level, Addison left this school at the end of Grade 3.

I don't think I would be happy with Eloise doing that much homework. Being a kid is much more important & for us in this house I think that although she should endeavour to do her work if it means not falling behind, dancing is as, if not more, important!!!! Did you know dancing helps with maths?? Something to do with learning & memorizing the routines & learning how to fit it to the timing. It also improves the memory. Eloise has 17 of her own dance routines in her head, as well as all her Tap & Ballet grade work & theory & lots of bits of other peoples routines as well in her little head!!

As for Addison, I have no idea what homework he has, he never does it or tells me anything about it!!!! He tends to do as little as possible to get by in his recess & lunch breaks!!

Whoops, didn't mean to write a book!!!!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-01-2009 - 10:06am
I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking this is crazy.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-01-2009 - 10:33am
Claire has to read 180 in a week, she can break that out anyway that she wants.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-01-2009 - 10:48am
Yeah I'd say that's ridiculous, Kelley. Rhiannon is in AT (Academically Talented) and she doesn't have near that amount of homework. Although the AT homework, IS more challenging, it's not THAT time consuming. I think giving kids in 4th grade that amount of homework isn't a good idea. They are going to get burned out before they even get to middle school and start slacking, IMO. I think homework is good in moderation. Even Joey has homework in 1st grade which is teaching him good habits and responsibility. I don't know what good it would do you to talk with the teacher. I mean is it like this EVERY single week?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-01-2009 - 10:50am
Rhiannon is supposed to read 30 minutes per night and Joey is supposed to read 15-20 minutes per night.

Photobucket