It happned again

iVillage Member
It happned again
Sun, 11-29-2009 - 5:21pm

I had a reaction while we were at the zoo Friday night. My stomach didn't feel that great when we were driving to the zoo. We got to the zoo and went straight to the line for Santa. As we were standing in line I started feeling light headed. I told Chance I was going to sit on a bench nearby and to keep and eye on me. After a few minutes I really felt like I would pass out, so I called dh over and told him that I needed an ambulance. He called 911 and I told him to use the epi pen. At this point I was laying on the bench because I could not sit up. After the epi I was able to stand up and dh decided I should walk to the entrance of the zoo. We got to where the ambulance was, and, of course, the medics weren't there because they were going into the zoo by the side entrance (there were too many people at the main entrance for them to go that way). Medics got there and started asking questions and working on me. The took my blood pressure (90/palp...my systolic pressure is usually around 125-130) and started an IV with a HUGE needle. Chance says my lips were blue when I was in the ambulance.

While the zoo keeper was trying to let the medics in the gate, one of the wheels rolled over her foot and they thought she broke it, so she ended up needing to go to the hospital, as well. The medics that were taking care of the zookeeper asked my medic if I was stable and they could transport both of us. Not good when the medic said "not really".

I was in the ER for a couple hours. Felt pretty good yesterday, not so much today. We were able to go back to the zoo last night for Zoo lights. Much better outcome the second time.

So, I will be contacting National Jewish on Monday to see how quickly I can get in. In the mean time, I need to make sure I start wearing my medical alert bracelet. It would have been bad if I had been alone with Arionna.

Thanks for listening to me ramble.

disney.jpg picture by marieef
Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-29-2009 - 5:59pm

Oh Marie, how scary for it to happen again. I'm so glad Chance was there to help. I hope you get into the Dr quickly and they can figure this one out!!

((((HUGS))))

Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-29-2009 - 7:28pm

Oh Marie!!

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-29-2009 - 7:52pm
Missi,
Well, the Epi definatley did some good. Before Chance gave it to me I was barely able to talk and completely unable to sit up. After I could walk to the entrance (with Chance helping me) and communicate with the medic (albeit my speech was delayed and it was difficult to get my eyes open). The medic even asked me if I felt the Epi was working and I told him it was because otherwise I would have been unconscious.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-29-2009 - 7:58pm
Actually that bp was pretty good considering you just had epinephrine and were under a lot of stress. Marie, were you only tested for allergies or did they look at any neuromuscular things? Like myasthenia gravis? (not saying that is what it is, but there are a few disorders along those same lines so that was an example) Just curious. Whatever it is, I can't imagine how scary that must have been. I hope you get to the bottom of this. Did you eat anything new before you went?
signature

signature

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-29-2009 - 8:07pm
Oh honey, how scary!!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-29-2009 - 8:10pm
The focus has been on allergies since that is what the symptoms most resemble. The ER nurse mentioned irregular heart rhythm, but that doesn't fit with the stomach issues. I keep researching and researching hoping I will find SOMETHING that really matches what I have, but no luck so far. I have quite a few questions when I get into my dr.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-29-2009 - 8:14pm

At home we have an alarm that has a plus sign that she can push to be connected with an operator to get an ambulance. We need to work on her using my cell phone for calling 911...need to work with Alora on that, as well.

Can I tell you how much I HATE that my kids need to worry about that? And, I hate the fact that they have to witness this time and time, again.

Thanks for the hugs.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-30-2009 - 8:38am

Have you gotten in to National Jewish yet?

siggy-1.jpg picture by 1_luckymommy

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-30-2009 - 8:54am

Marie, I also wanted to mention that "my" phone has an In Case of Emergency that is my top contact..I think most phones have this now.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-30-2009 - 9:02am

Oh Marie, I'm sorry it happened again. It has to be so frustrating! I'm glad you are okay. You definitely need to wear your bracelet and let the girls know what to do if this ever happens when you are alone with them.

So you just have no idea what could be causing this?

Photobucket

Pages