iVillage Member
My meeting with Claire's teacher
Tue, 11-24-2009 - 2:22pm

she was very nice and apologetic.

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-24-2009 - 7:08pm
Wow. How complicated. I'm glad her teacher seems to be taking an active interest in helping. I hope you can get this worked out soon. It must be so incredibly frustrating. (((Hugs)))

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-24-2009 - 7:10pm

At least now the teacher knows something isn't clicking with Claire.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-24-2009 - 10:55pm

Well, I got some positive news.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-25-2009 - 1:24am

Christol, I am glad her teacher is listening and wanting to try. It is a good sign that she isn't just blowing you off. BUT still kind of sad that it has taken THIS long to get her to talk to you.

I know I have probably said this before but I am going to say it again b/c it always hits me when I read about Claire. What was the testing you had done testing for? I am only asking b/c she does sound SO much like Taeya it is scary. And Taeya has a specific language disability (dyslexia). I am thinking back to all the things the teacher said when we had orientation for the sensory integration classes....all the things that made me say "man, that is Taeya" and some of them I am thinking "man that is Claire". The "getting" things one minute and then not the next is a big one. She would frustrate us so much (and still does sometimes now, lol) when she would be reading a book and know a word and then all of a sudden NOT know it. Or do an entire page of math homework one night and be clueless the next night. (ok, she still does these things, just not as bad now, lol). Some days connections were being made, others they were not. One thing htat used to frustrate me when she was little was, I tell her to do something (a sequence of events) and she would only get bits and pieces or nothing at all would get done (more then normal kid stuff, she would really TRY and get frustrated). It just didn't CLICK in her head....what I was telling her to do. I seriously could only tell her ONE thing at a time or things got messed up somehow in her head.

Math is still a struggle for her. She has a good grade in math NOW but you would not believe the amount of time she has put in to it....AND that is with teachers who teach with a multisensory/ slingerland approach geared specifically for her type of issues. And, yes, she will get something one day and it is gone the next. This is actually the one area that I totally sympathize with though, lol. She struggle with reading comprehension and inferring meaning from words in a sentence. The answer that you gave that claire would give is EXACTLY what she would do. Like I said, she has gotten BETTER (still struglges) but that has been with teachers who have worked with her and have understood her (and other kids in teh class). And have actually explained her quirks to us, lol. She has several friends who also have SLD (anywhere from 10 to 30 percent of kids do) and they don't have exactly teh same issues as T does, some do better at math others at spelling, etc. But for ALL of htem, something (especially with the traditional way of teaching/learning) just doesn't CLICK and makes things so much harder for them. I can't remember the exact name of the test that they did, but I know it was a very specific test designed to detect SLD and had to be sent out to be scored by people trained to interprit the test. But I would be really curious to see how C does on it.

signature

signature

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-25-2009 - 7:24am

Thanks Christy.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-25-2009 - 10:45am

"She doesn't qualify for special education testing because her test scores are too high."

This really struck a cord with me. What test scores were too high? Kaylee had the highest test scores of any kid in Special Ed when we were in FL. Her Special Ed teacher would say, "I can't believe she is in Special Ed." But, her writing scores were low. And, YOU have the right to request she be tested.
"regardless of whether a school is using the RTI approach, the discrepancy approach, or a combination of approaches, parents still have the legal right at any time to request that their child be evaluated for specific learning disabilities."
http://www.greatschools.net/LD/identifying/special-education-evaluation-an-overview.gs?content=666

This something I did not know when we were dealing with Kaylee's difficulties and I wish I would have because we could have had her tested YEARS earlier! Also, if you even THINK there is a SLD issue, you need to have her tested before middle school. Elementaries are pretty good about providing students with support regardless of SLD status..upper grades are not! If the student does not have paperwork to back up the need for assistance, it usually isn't done.

I also found this information about a Parent Advocacy Service. They are individuals who can help you navigate the Special Ed maze.
http://speced.mpls.k12.mn.us/ParentAdv.html

Good luck and if you have any questions that I can help with, I'm here!

disney.jpg picture by marieef
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-25-2009 - 11:29am

Thanks Marie, yes, I know from the last time the hoops to jump through for special education testing.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-25-2009 - 4:00pm

Hmm...it sounds eerily similar to what is going on, at least academically, with Nat.

siggy-1.jpg picture by 1_luckymommy

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-25-2009 - 4:05pm

Taeya actually did amazingly well at dance sequences. But I was later told that isn't uncommon either. Actually, the methods of teaching they used for the slingerland/ MSI method are sometimes like dances. For example, when they were doing letter sounds, each letter had a "dance" that included drawing the letter in the air as they moved while singing/listening to a song. The whole focus is on integrating all the senses (touch, sound, etc). And dance already does that. She could repeat/remember movements much easier......which was the whole reason why the movements when learning helped her remember.

I am actually friends with one of T's old teachers....she is trained in MSI and dyslexia. If you want, I will ask her more about the test and if there are other tests that are good for detecting it. And if there are any tests that sylvan has that would equal it.

signature

signature

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-25-2009 - 4:22pm

Here is a link to characteristics of kids with SLD
http://www.interdys.org/ewebeditpro5/upload/Is_My_Child_Dyslexic_9-12--8.pdf

http://www.interdys.org/ewebeditpro5/upload/Testing_and_Evaluation_Fact_Sheet_12-08.pdf

Here is a link to info on testing. I don't remember what T had done...but I know it was pre language since it was done in K.

Actually, this whole site has some good info

http://www.interdys.org/FactSheets.htm

signature

signature

Pages