My mom needs your thoughts and prayers

iVillage Member
My mom needs your thoughts and prayers
Mon, 05-03-2010 - 8:26pm

she's in the ER tonight with symptoms that seem like a mini stroke.

I talked to her about 10:30 this morning and she was fine. My sister called me about 4:30 and asked if I had talked to her. She had talked to her a couple times and said Mom was goofy. She was having a hard time finding the words for things and just seemed off. So I called her and she told me that she was goofy today. I tried to get a better explanation of what that meant. She said something about the baby and that she couldn't remember his name (my great nephew Connor who is having his cleft lip surgery tomorrow). I told her his name is Connor and she said that doesn't even sound right. I told her that I thought she needed to go to the hospital. She said something about waiting and then said a sentence of completely garbled words, nothing that was actual words. I then told her to go to the ER. I got my Dad on the phone and told him that they needed to go to the ER that something was not right with her. So he took her and my sister met them there. My sister said by the time they got there Mom seemed much better, knew her name and birthdate and all that stuff. So they are doing some testing, bloodwork and a cat scan but the only thing the dr. has mentioned is a TIA (which I think is a mini stroke but I'm afraid to look it up). She is diabetic and I made sure that they mentioned that but it sounds like her sugar count was OK. She had gone and hit some golf balls this afternoon and mentioned that when she was driving home, her vision became very blurry. I think she knew something was wrong but was trying to pretend it wasn't. Unfortunately my dad is suffering from some dementia these days so I'm not sure that he really realized what was going on. I'm really scared you guys so if you could please keep us all in your thoughts and prayers, we'd appreciate it.

Thanks and I'll keep you posted!!

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-03-2010 - 8:37pm
((((Lauri)))) How scary for you!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-03-2010 - 8:37pm
{{{{Lauri}}}} Yes, a TIA is a "mini" stroke. It is good you were able to get her to go to the ER.
disney.jpg picture by marieef
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-03-2010 - 8:51pm
Oh Lauri, you are in my thoughts! Thank goodness you encouraged them to go to the hospital. Hope they can explain the situation and provide her with medical help. Sending prayers and positive thoughts to all of you. Big Hugs!!!! Take care.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-03-2010 - 9:55pm
Hugs and P&PTs coming out your way Lauri.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-04-2010 - 6:21am

Thanks ladies! They kept her overnight for observation, she sent me a text at 10:30 last night so I think she is doing pretty well. I will talk to her later and let you know. I'll be at work until 2 so if you don't hear from me, don't panic.

Love you guys!!!

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-04-2010 - 8:47am
Glad to hear that.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-04-2010 - 8:49am

Many, many thoughts and prayers headed your sweet mom's way.

siggy-1.jpg picture by 1_luckymommy

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-04-2010 - 12:38pm
Lauri, thinking of you and your mom.
Rock Stars
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-04-2010 - 2:54pm

No real news still. I talked to my mom this morning and she sounded good. Said she had slept pretty well considering all the interruptions. She's still in the hospital, when I talked to my dad at 2 she was getting another test done. Doesn't sound like they have been given any answers yet. She's really disappointed that she is missing Cole's birthday, they were planning on coming here for his baseball game but luckily we had kept it a surprise from him so he won't be disappointed.

I'll let you know when I hear more! and thanks again for all the support!

Photobucket
Photobucket