Needing some MAJOR meal planning motivation....

iVillage Member
Needing some MAJOR meal planning motivation....
Thu, 09-06-2012 - 8:38pm

Summer was too hot to cook...it's STILL too hot to cook, but my family is complaining we never have anything "good" anymore.  I whipped up a batch of cheeseburger pie tonight and they devoured it, so I think I probably need to put a little more effort into feeding them, again.  :smileyhappy:  So, what are you all making for dinner these days?  

Last night I made Christol's salsa chicken, added corn and black beans and ate it as chicken soft tacos.  Again, they all devoured it.  

At this point I'd love to do crock pot, since it's still pretty hot.  My kids are asking for my homemade white cheddar mac 'n' cheese, and porcupine meatballs, but it just seems too heavy (and hot) for right now...

So, whatcha makin' and whatcha been makin' for dinner?  Share, share, share, and motivate me!!!  :smileyhappy:

Pages

iVillage Member
I've been terrible lately. Addison has been staying out more & more (don't see him for days at a time) so there's only the two of us home, me & Madam Picky!!! It's easier to give her something she likes, crap like mac'n'cheese, noodles, pies, frozen pizza, & get myself s bowl of soup or cereal when she's gone to bed!!
Photobucket
iVillage Member

Thinking of a few things I've made lately. Here are some of the items:

Quiche Lorraine with a salad and rolls

Pork Tenderloin with potatoes and a salad

White chicken chili and a salad

Broccoli Cheddar Soup, grilled cheese, and salad

Chicken cordon blue, broccoli, and salad

White chicken enchiladas, rice, and salad

Spaghetti and meatballs, salad, and garlic bread

Chicken salad and egg salad (a quick and easy cold meal)

Just some ideas...hope others can add some more!

Photobucket
iVillage Member

That all sounds wonderful, Karol!  Are those recipes on your recipe blog?

I made a pan of lasagne, so I'm inching my way out of the slump.  I'm going to make mayonaise chicken tonight, and PW's corn chowder with beer bread tomorrow night.  Then it's the XC pasta dinner and my friend is hosting so I said I'd bring two pasta dishes with white sauce, since my girl doesn't like red sauce, so I'll be making a big double batch of creamy Italian chicken and a 9x13 pan of homemade white cheese mac'n'cheese.  :smileyhappy:

So yeah, I'll be cooking this week, like it or not!  :smileywink:

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-10-2012 - 12:28pm

Missi, here's the info on the recipes:

Quiche Lorraine with a salad and rolls...I use a recipe that was my aunt's, but this one is very similar.

Pork Tenderloin with potatoes and a salad..Just bake a simple pork tenderloin with an Italian dressing marinade.

White chicken chili and a salad...ok, this one is embarrassingly easy and so good. I use the McCormicks white chili dry mix and follow the directions on the back. Always a big hit!! Oh, and I add some green chilies.

Broccoli Cheddar Soup, grilled cheese, and salad...this one was a package broc/cheddar soup that you just add milk/water to the mix.

Chicken cordon blue, broccoli, and salad...here's the very easy recipe that I used to make this chicken. Another big hit.

White chicken enchiladas, rice, and salad...this was a Pinterest recipe find that we all love.

Spaghetti and meatballs, salad, and garlic bread...nothing fancy here, just some basic meatballs and spag!

Chicken salad and egg salad (a quick and easy cold meal)...also an easy dinner. I just mix my chicken salad with mayo, chopped onions, and salt and pepper. The egg salad is just the egg and mayo.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Karol, how could I not know that you have a recipe blog???! Doh!

All of those recipes sound really yummy. I've been in a slump too. I haven't cooked much at all. Regina moved out. Joey is picky. Rhiannon mostly eats everything.

I think everyone gets in a slump once in awhile.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

Thanks Karol!  Great inspiration!!  :smileyhappy:

iVillage Member
Oh Missi, I've been meaning to tell you that I tried making that mayo chicken. It turned out soggy kind of and the topping didn't stick to the chicken. Any tricks you have?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-12-2012 - 12:26am
Sorry, coming in late. Lately...We eat a lot of pan fried chicken with some form of a sauce sometimes, usually orange or terriyaki with fried or regular rice. I also do it with steak for terriyaki SUPER fast to make and yes, variations of all these are on my blog.

Pancakes and bacon

Steak on flat bread with salsa mixed with light sour cream for a topping and oven fries

Juicy Lucy's and fries

Salsa Chicken or Creamy Italian Chicken

Spaghetti with red sauce

Claire and I enjoy a nice spinach/romaine salad with chicken or steak

Tacos and/or quesadillas Enchiladas if I'm feeling sassy:smileywink:

Roasted chicken in the crockpot with fresh green beans and bread

Red/White lasagna
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-12-2012 - 12:26am
That's weird Carmen. Did you put the bread crumbs on after you spread the mayo? Try Panko crumbs they hold up better.

OH and I make oven baked chicken nuggets too with panko.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Carmen, I've had the same trouble. I cook my chicken from frozen breasts, so what I do is this...right or wrong, it typically works. :smileyhappy:

Line a pan with tin foil (for clean up, I'm lazy, lol)...arrange frozen breasts in pan. Brush with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake on 300 for a couple of hours, or until the breasts are cooked through. Remove from oven, drain any liquid from the pan (so if the topping does slide off, you can salvage it). Let it cool just a bit...10 min or so. Glop mayo (not miracle whip...my mom made it with miracle whip and it was NAS.TY!!) on each breast...about 1/4 cup for a large breast. I try to cover the breasts pretty thick. Then sprinkle parmesean cheese on top. Bake again until cheese on top is golden brown.

Saving the topping for the end, and letting the chicken cool just a bit before topping it has helped with the topping sliding off for me. Of course, now that christol mentioned bread crumbs, maybe you could try a thin layer of parmesean cheese first, then mayo, then cheese again. I bet that would really make it stick!

It sounds nasty, but that with alfredo noodles and broccoli is a favorite meal around here, of all three of mine. And that's no small feat! :smileywink:

Pages