The school saga

iVillage Member
The school saga
Fri, 01-29-2010 - 8:43am

In case you missed it on fb, my boys school was put on lockdown yesterday morning.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-29-2010 - 9:01am

Oh my goodness!!

siggy-1.jpg picture by 1_luckymommy

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-29-2010 - 10:46am

I read the update on FB this morning and I am shaking my head.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-29-2010 - 11:16am
Wow. I'm with Christol. It sounds like they were scrambling. I would be ticked off too about the way things went down. I think any time a lockdown happens, parents should be notified via a letter home. We, as parents, have a right to know what's happening.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-29-2010 - 3:41pm

They definitely should have notified parents...email, phone call, letter home...something!

The girls school was very lax about security (you could walk into ANY exterior door during school hours), until Sept. 2006. A man walked into a high school near Denver and took 6 girls hostage. One of the girls was shot and killed by the man. Now, the only doors open during school hours are the doors into the front lobby. I know there was a lot of "nothing like that could happen here" until the incident in Bailey (which is a small mountain town...not a big city school).

I would definitely be in touch with administrators to make sure they learn something from this and make the necessary changes.

disney.jpg picture by marieef
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-29-2010 - 8:06pm

That sounds very scary!!

I have no idea what the policy or procedure are at Eloise's school. Our schools are built very differently to yours with all the classrooms opening out onto a courtyard so they each have their own outside doors, no hallways.

I think they have had a practice lockdown once where the bell sounded & the teachers then lock all their doors, close the blinds and everyone gets under the desks until the all clear sounds. However, anyone can walk up to any class at any time & go in. You don't need to got through the office to get into the school.

Addison's school is similar with very few internal hallways & most of the rooms opening to the outside.

The only security they have against something like what happened at your school happening is photos of 'prohibited parents' inside the office!!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-29-2010 - 9:22pm
Helen,
That was how the elementary school where Kaylee went in FL was. They had a flasher hide in the girls bathroom when Kaylee was in school. A school like that is VERY difficult to lockdown in an emergency.
disney.jpg picture by marieef
Photobucket