Breastfeeding question

iVillage Member
Breastfeeding question
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 12:10pm
I'm reading the Baby Whisperer right now and I was surprised by her suggestion about breastfeeding. She said after the first few days you should not switch breasts during a feeding but alternate sides on alternate feedings (does that make sense?). Can I get your thoughts on this and how you fed.

TIA!!

Lauri

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 12:25pm
Lauri,

I fed both my boys on one side per feeding. Nathan I started when he was a few weeks old & Ryan started that way from the day my milk came in. Works beautifully for me. I like not having to switch breasts. Makes nursing sessions easier, I think (not to mention nursing in public is easier b/c I don't have to switch sides). Your body will adjust to the nursing pattern and know how much milk each breast needs to make & at what time. Of course, if baby is still hungry after the first breast (like during a growth spurt), I offer the second side, but that didn't happen often.

:o) Michelle

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 2:50pm
Not a b.f. expert but I remember when I had posted about some of my concerns from b.f. Brianna it was recommended that when Taeya came along to not switch sides. Brianna would just eat non stop and it was brought to my attention that when you switch sides they aren't getting as much of the hindmilk to help sustain her, etc. Like I said, not an expert but I remember Michelle and them telling me that. Christy

Christy

Proud co-cl of:

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 3:07pm
Christy, that's exactly what she says. She says there are 3 different types of milk that are produced in 3 different stages of nursing and if you switch, they might never get to type 2 or 3!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 3:39pm
I fed all three of my children that way. My first child only would nurse for 15 mins. So I couldn't switch. Then in a half an hour she would nurse again. I would give her the other side.

It worked great for her. Then with the other kids I just followed the same pattern and everything was great with all of them.

Sandra.

Sandra

Mom of Moira, Sarah &

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 8:44pm
A friend f mine fed like that. Apparently it means the baby gets all the good hind milk rather than 2 lots of the thin milk that comes first.

Helen

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 9:44am
I nursed Natalie that way too!! For some reason, her body wouldn't register that she was full, so she'd eat until she THREW UP, so the Ped. recommened that I one side feed. I did, and once the pattern was set, we pretty much stayed with that for the duration (10 months). In the beginning, surprisingly enough, once I stared one side feeding, she nursed LESS often and started sleeping better! I guess maybe because that hind milk is so much "heavier". The good thing about one side feeds is that you never have to guess which boob to start with, however I was "lop-sided" most of the time too! lol...

Worked for us, and I'll most definitely try this approach next time around too!! :o)

Missi

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 10:07pm
I think you just go with what works. Valerie has her "real" feedings and her comfort feedings. For her hungry real ones I switch and do both breasts but for comfort (such as night feedings) I just do one for each feeding. I did Amelia the same way.
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 5:13am
I did this - my midwife said that if you did this the baby got a good balance of foremilk (watery, thirst-quenching) and hind milk (richer and more satisfying). If you swapped then the baby got much more foremilk (good on a hot day but not necessary at other times).

Laura

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-13-2003 - 8:11pm
I did feed on 1 side per feeding, but found that i also needed to top- up on the other side.. As michael and jessica got older - in months - i found that i needed to do both sides per feed..

I guess it depends on what feels comfortable to you - you may need to express as well (in the early days)..

I know when Jessica was born - i was huge and had to express on side after a fed as i was sooo full..

Good luck..

Sem