First Week of September DYKs---

iVillage Member
First Week of September DYKs---
Mon, 08-31-2009 - 1:03pm

Well, officially the first day begins tomorrow, but I thought it would be fun to have a new DYK.

Tell us what's happening with you!!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-31-2009 - 7:07pm

DYK...

I can't believe tomorrow is September! Where has the summer gone?

We had the ice cream social today for Rhiannon and Joey.

They both got the teachers we requested.

I found out today the Vice Principal we loved last year will be back this year. We thought he was laid off. I was very excited about that. He is awesome!

I really do love our elementary school. :)

I got myself in a stupid predicament again with my friend (the one whose girls I watched this summer).

She has to be work at 8:00 a.m. and the kids have to be at school by 8:45. I only live 6 blocks from the school and before school care is really expensive. So I told her she could drop them off here and I'd take them to school. That's not really the problem, it's after school.

The free after school program doesn't start until October 5th. So she asked me if I could watch them after school. I cringed but I said yes because by the time they'd get here, it'd be after 4:00 anyway. There's really no sense in her paying for day care.

That's not even really the problem either, it's her not leaving when she picks the kids up!

How do I say that to her?? I just don't want them hanging around every night forever. It wasn't so bad in the summer because our schedule was so lax. During school, it will be more strict. Kwim?

How can I be blunt without being rude? Ugh now I am dreading this!

So anyway....

Tomorrow, we're going to get the crib from my friend's house.

Regina is almost 30 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A lady she babysits for dropped off a bunch of baby stuff this morning.

Christol, from what you say about Max, he and Joey sound very familiar.

I was wondering what you did re; homework when he was younger. I think 1st grade is the year they start they homework packet.

I am thinking for Joey, coming home and vegging out with t.v. and a snack for an hour would be better than making him start his homework right away.

What do you think?

Anyone else have any opinions?

I'm actually sitting in a quiet house right now. Thank you Jesus.

I hope everyone's had a great Monday!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-01-2009 - 8:28am

Did you know...

...Karol, how are the girls liking school?

...how are you adjusting to both of them being gone?

...Carmen, only 10 more weeks?

...how exciting?

...Helen, loved the dance photos?

...and I do NOT have the patience to do that much sewing?

...Christy, how is work?

...Denice, where ya been?

...Missi, any more photo shoots to share?

...Christol, hurry up and get your work under control so you can come out and play with us?

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-01-2009 - 8:43am

DYK?

Christol, hope this is a better day for you. Miss seeing you around the board?

Missi, how are the girls doing at school? Does Owen go to preschool?

Carmen, loved the back to school blog update?

Kelley, sounds like the boys are adjusting to school life. How are you doing? Anything new on the job front?

Helen, as always, I can’t get over all of the sewing you do for those costumes! You should start a business?

Denice, how are you guys doing?

Christy, hope that work is going well for you?

Marie, how is it going with Chance working from home?

The girls are doing well with school?

Yesterday was Shelly’s first full day with all of the kids. She did well and had fun?

They went to their second day of gymnastics and had a good time?

It makes for a busy start to our week, but they enjoyed it?

I spent the day ironing, cleaning, and preparing for their return home?

It is such a shift change for me. After 9 years of having little girls here with me all of the time, I am alone?

I am still figuring out how to do all of this and what my role is?

For now, I am taking things one day at a time?

Happy September ladies!!!?

Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-01-2009 - 10:14am

DYK...

Kelley, so do the boys share a room now? Is that why Frank said he could have the office?

I'm glad to hear Cole is adjusting well. :)

I'm slightly worried about Joey this year. But his teacher's really good so...

Karol, how fun that the girls are enjoying gymnastics so much.

I'm looking forward to the kids going to school so I can have some time alone during the day.

It's really going to stink when I have to go back to work!

I'm having SUCH a hard time getting motivated this morning!

I guess I had better do SOMETHING.

We are living in a little bit to go pick up the crib.

Have a great day everyone!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-01-2009 - 1:38pm

DYK

Carmen, aww, you are such a good friend...maybe TOO good for your OWN good, lol?

I am not sure how to tell friend to hit the road, I am so not good at being blunt IRL but maybe since it will be school time, she will buy into hints a bit more and/or have things to do on her own that require her to leave (kids do homework, etc)?

Maybe you could just make sure the kids are READY to go and waiting at the door as soon as she gets there, rather then inviting her in, just boot them out, lol?

As for homework, I am not sure it matters so much when you have him do it, you will just need to play around and figure it out, I think it is more a matter of making it a routine no matter which time you decide?

I know for us, as much as I would LIKE to be able to give them a break after a long day of school before starting homework, it does NOT work?

If I let them go outside or veg in front of the TV, I can NOT get them motivated to get into the homework after?

We HAVE to do it as soon as they get home and have a "no tv, no outside until it's done" rule or it will turn into an all night battle of "just let me finish watching this one episode" or "but can I just stay out for fifteen minutes bc so and so has to go in then"...with two of them alternating doing this, it gets to be a bit much, lol?

I know for ME, as soon as I sit down and start vegging, all motivation is gone....BUT it might work for him?

Karol, Awwww, I bet that IS a huge change for you having both girls gone...you are such a good momma?

Are there any opportunities for you to volunteer at the girls school....I am sure their teachers would LOVE the touch of your organizational skills?

Kelley, the first baby mom's can be rather amusing, can't they, lol?

Ok, not so amusing that she is so one track minded that she won't move the baby shower up two weeks?

I hate when people who are having girls say don't buy pink....I get that they don't want to be overwhelmed with pink stuff but that makes things SO hard?

I had a friend that recently had a girl who doesn't like anything "girly" (not just no pink, but no girly either, lol)....I did buy her some basic's (and fought the urge to make a tee shirt that said "my mom doesn't like pink so all I got is this stupid tee shirt" lol) but the girls picked out some cute outfits and she got them anyway with a "I'm sorry, but I have two girls and you are having a girl and we feel the need to make sure she has at least SOME girly clothes" lol?

Ok, in friends case, she isn't snotty or anything so she takes it all with a grain of salt and is just grateful for what she gets, not sure if that would work in your case, lol?

I was LOL'ing at Cole's money situation.....I remember a few similiar type situations with the girls early on and having talks with them....but are their lunches only 75 cents?

Actually, I am curious what lunches are everywhere else, here they are 4.80 and that isn't even enough to fill the girls up (and my girls don't eat much)...needless to say, they pack their lunch most days, lol?

I was happy to see some posts on here....I needed a dyk fix, lol?

Where is everyone else?

Barbara, I loved seeing your good neighbor photos on facebook....it seemed interesting....but you gotta fill me in, what exactly IS the good neighbor festival and why were adults begging for candy?

Come play!?

Taeya just called, she forgot her lunch, GRRR, so I have to take her's to her....I would just have her buy one, but I haven't sent them in any money this year b/c they have taken cold lunches so far and I am not sure if they have money on their accts from last year....our school refuses to give kids lunch on credit if they don't have enough in their acct?

Well, actually, they changed it last year, now they will give them a "cold pack" if they forget their lunch or money so they can get a drink and a fruit but not a full lunch and they STILL charge full lunch price (expect you to take in the money)?

I remember being VERY upset about that the year before last, T forgot her lunch and was short a little bit on her lunch acct to buy a lunch, B had the money in HER acct but they wouldn't take it out to give to T....T went to the office to call me at her lunch time (she didn't realize she was short until then) but I wasn't home...they had her sit in the office the ENTIRE lunch period and into recess until I brought her food?

I walked in and the office staff were sitting there eating and T and another boy who had forgotten his money were both sitting there near tears....really, I could have seen if she was negative a lot of money but this was the first time EVER that she forgot her lunch and money was THERE if they took it from B's acct and I was just floored that they would let her sit there without food and eat in front of them?

Shortly after that, they stated doing the "cold pack" thing, lol...not much better though?

Guess I should get a shower and run that in...and then run to the store....I just realized that today is military pay day so it is going to be a mad house, I try to avoid going on those days at all costs, lol?

Photobucket

signature

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-01-2009 - 3:33pm

DYK...

...Carmen, yes, the boys share a room.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-01-2009 - 10:42pm

Did you know...

...I've missed you chicks?

...I've been able to read a few here and there but my computer is in need of replacing and is so SLOW?!?!

...the kids have it bogged down with all the crap they play on?

...first purchase when I sell the house...a new lap top?

...speaking of, I think we can go on Thursday?

...I've been crazy busy at work, doing lots of OT

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-01-2009 - 10:58pm

Did you know...

...Carmen, I'm so glad the kids got the teachers they wanted?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-02-2009 - 8:16am

Did you know...

Just popping in before crazy school day #2 to say

GOOD MORNING!!

Hope you all have a fabulous day!!

Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-02-2009 - 11:02am
Had to test out my new siggy Karol made for me.
Photobucket

Pages