Ohmygoodness, it's October...DYK...

iVillage Member
Ohmygoodness, it's October...DYK...
Mon, 10-05-2009 - 1:43pm

DYK...

...thought we could use a new dyk thread for the new month?

...how was everyone's weekend?

...ours was INSANE?!?!

...ohmygosh...

...6am Saturday morning, head to Mariah's cross country meet an hour away?

...head straight from CC to Natalie's soccer game?

...head straight from soccer to my newborn shoot?

...straight from the shoot, back to soccer (tournament weekend)?

...straight from soccer to my niece's birthday dinner (where we were all exposed to influenza ~ LOL)

...Sunday was more of the same?

...church, dinner, soccer, senior shoot?

...~phew~

...can I just say I'm glad it's Monday?!?!?

...my new sheets from Ikea are in the dryer...really hoping I like them...they were, as is most everything there, extremely affordable?

...I need to knock out one full session with editing today?

...I'm getting SO behind?

...it's not even funny?

...got Mariah's new hanging lamp from Ikea hung...super cool?

siggy-1.jpg picture by 1_luckymommy

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-06-2009 - 9:26am

Did you know..

...Missi, your schedule is making ME tired?

...slow down a bit, girlie?

...and, no pressure, but where are the pics of you and Christol?

...Christol, any more showings?

...got my fingers crossed for you.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-06-2009 - 9:46am

DID YOU KNOW.....????

....we had a busy-ish weekend, with and Eisteddfod that meant going on Saturday afternoon for one dance, then from lunchtime till dinnertime Sunday, lucky me it was only 20minutes from home!!

....this week is CrAzY busy though!!

....Monday I worked one of my shifts in the canteen at our studio's eisteddfod

....today was Eloise's age category, so she danced all day, we were there 14hours!!

....she did a fantastic job though

....her first dance was her fast tap & she got third place

....then she did some Impro's and got Highly Commended's for 3 of the 4

....her Song & Tap & Jazz dances also scored a Highly Commended

....then she did her Slow Tap which she has been doing for a year, but just got a new grown up dress for and she got FIRST!!!!!

....this means she now goes up a section within her age group!!!

....then she did her new dance, a Modern, which she was VERY nervous about as she only finished it on Thursday and she didn't think she would remember it!! Every chance she got she was outside with the iPod in her ears practicing!!

....well, she did a great job & only faltered once, but was able to pick it

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-06-2009 - 10:23am

DYK

...Kelley, WOO HOO on getting your sub certificate?

...glad to hear your Dad is doing better?

...I have NOT had any more showings since last Thursday..two of them, neither interested but said the price was right??

...Max needs pants too...not looking forward to that?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-06-2009 - 10:42am

DYK

...Karol, I hope your Dad is doing better?

...been thinking about you?

...met with the Principal today?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-06-2009 - 12:17pm

DYK:

Christol, just passing through and reading but wanted to comment on something you said (...they aren't testing for H1N1 unless you are hospitalized, only testing for influenza...it's just assumed and treated as such if you test positive for flu??)?

Something like 40 percent of H1N1 cases actually test NEGATIVE for Influenza A...so just testing for the flu isn't an accurate way to determine if it is H1N1 or not (you can have H1N1 and test negative for the flu)?

It is getting frustrating b/c we are screening ALL people who enter the maternity center (we have had so many cases of H1N1 in which visitors have made babies and patients and staff sick, it isn't funny...so they finally buckled down)....we aren't allowing anyone with any symptoms (fever, sore throat, cough) in......I can't even tell you how many people get so mad b/c they say "well, my doctor tested for the flu and it was negative so I don't have swine flu, why can't I come in"......?

Ummm, reality is, you still have a VERY high chance of it being swine flu even if your flu test was negative?

Lady in front of me at the store the other day was hacking all over everything and looked like garbage and told the lady (as she handed her germy money and after complaining of a 104 temp) "my doctor told me I tested negative for the flu so I don't need to stay home" and I wanted to slap her, lol?

There for a long time, we weren't testing for swine flu either...it wasn't regular flu season so if someone had the symptoms of the flu, we were treating it as swine flu....since the reg flu test isn't accurate for swine and it takes so long to get the swine test results back.....now that it is also regular flu season, we don't know for certain....but NOW the cdc is saying ot NOT treat unless they are hospitalized, so I guess it doesn't matter one way or another, lol?

signature

signature

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-06-2009 - 12:24pm

Just looked to get the exact number (what I have read has always been around 40 percent) but they are saying the rapid test can only detect anywhere from 10 - 70 percent of cases. So, even at it's BEST, it is only 70 percent accurate for H1N1. YIKES

RIDT result: Negative for Influenza A and B
Note: The sensitivity of this assay has been shown to range between for the detection of novel influenza A (H1N1) virus and between for seasonal influenza viruses. A negative result does not exclude influenza virus infection. If influenza is circulating in your community, a diagnosis of influenza should be considered based on a patient’s clinical presentation and empiric antiviral treatment should be considered, if indicated. If more conclusive testing is desired, follow-up confirmatory testing with either is warranted.

* Fill in with individual clinical laboratory data and information

signature

signature

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-06-2009 - 12:38pm

That's frightening Christy and good information to have, thank you.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-06-2009 - 12:49pm

Christol, seriously there is no "right" answer....and every doctor will tell you something different. I have talked to nearly every single family practice doctor and resident and they all said something different. It doesn't help that hte CDC keeps changing it's recommendations.

Right NOW the CDC is basically saying that you should NOT treat with tamiflu automatically anymore anyway. So, really, it doesn't necessarily matter if it is swine flu or seasonal flu or neither of the two. MOST cases run their course on their own without complications. They are saying to ONLY treat if it is a complicated case and/or they require hospitalization. That is their general recommendation for the entire us. NOW, doctors in YOUR area may be doing things different if you are having some particularly virulent strains in your area. But, we have had kids without medical issues die as well....and a LOT of our docs are NOT treating with tamiflu.

The issue with not treating right away is that....tamiflu is MOST effective if taken within 48 hrs of symptoms. Generally, if you are waiting to see if they are going to have complications, it will be longer then 48 hours. I am just not sure i am ok with that. I have told all the FP docs I work with that, if my kids get sick and I have the slightest hint that it won't be a simple run of hte mill runny nose, SOMEONE will give me tamiflu and I don't care, lol.

BUT, the issue with THAT is....it IS possible for H1N1 to become resistant to tamiflu. And we have a limited supply. That is why the CDC is saying NOT to routinely treat to begin with. B/c, really, if it gets to where it isn't effective anymore...THEN what do we use? It is a double edged sword, really.

In your case, with Max's asthma, I wouldn't take any chances. Honestly, I wouldn't. So, kids get sick, you go in, they test negative.....your doctor should KNOW that doesn't necessarily mean they dont' have H1N1. How long do you stay home??? If YOU are not comfortable, go in. YOU know your kid....honestly. You know if it is a simple case or getting worse. Don't wait for the sake of waiting...or until you reach a certain "time frame". If YOU are NOT comfortable, go back in.

signature

signature

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-06-2009 - 12:57pm
Here is a link to the CDC's recommendations on when to treat:http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/recommendations.htm
signature

signature

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-06-2009 - 3:37pm

DYK...

...two of mine are down with the virus...whether or not it's H1N1, who knows?

...I called my pediatrician's office after Owen ATE after his cousin, and they said that they wanted to see my two reactive airway kids as soon as symptoms emerged?

...I asked if that meant they would be getting Tamiflu, and she asked if they took daily steroids for their reactive airway?

...I said no?

...she said they are NOT treating ANYONE with Tamiflu unless they are symptomatic enough with their asthma that they require daily use of a steroid?

...I asked why they'd need to see them?

...to help manage their asthma through the virus?

...nice?

...Natalie came home at 10 am from school and Owen went down for his nap warm?

...lovely?

...I'm putting in a call to the ped's office, just for kicks, but they said to call, so I'm going to?

...they said do NOT bring Natalie in...no reactive airway, they will NOT treat?

...I understand not wanting to over-use Tamiflu, but it makes me VERY worried?

...a normal 3-day cold in Natalie and I turns into a 4 week respiratory battle with Owen where we end up having to put him on a steroid to get him over it?

...I'm worried about Mariah too...she's got the reactive airway too..oy?

...so, I'll see that the nurse says today, but my PA friend said that a ped's office is much more likely to follow CDC's recommendations by the book, whereas ER medicine is much more grey?

...I think if I pressured her, she'd give Owen Tamiflu...I just don't know what the best thing to do is?!?

...she also made an interesting point...they are NOT seeing anyone for H1N1 that was born before the year 1957?

...H1N1 was around before that year, and everyone born before that year has immunities to it?

...it will likely go away for 50 years again, and the next time it comes back, our kiddos will all be immune?

...I thought that was kind of cool?

...she also says that we are a generation where we over-vaccinate, and NEVER want our children to be sick and treat everything, and that there could very likely be catastrophic repercussions of doing that because as a society, we have limited natural immunity because we never allow ourselves to be sick!?

...the best immunity comes from actually being sick?

...so, I'm trying to see the positives here?

...it's a sick ward at our house again now?

...wish me luck?

...off to clean?

...happy Tuesday?

Photobucket

Pages