**QOTD** What kind of tipper are you?

iVillage Member
**QOTD** What kind of tipper are you?
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 10:26am
After talking with a friend, I realized just how much my dh has rubbed off on me. He is a BIG tipper. She was telling me of their $45 tab, and how they had to leave a $5 tip. I about died!! That's just over 10% ~ for dinner!

We tip a MINIMUM of 15% for lunch (but always round up, so it typically ends up being closer to 20) and a MINIMUM of 20% for dinner. Gerad won't even tip less for poor service ~ he always says, "What if she/he has a 3 year old at home, and this is how she/he has to support it?"

Even when he's traveling for work. His company is cutting costs, so they've said that when they're eating out on the company, they can't tip any more than 15%, so Gerad will dip out of his own pocket to give a bigger tip.

Anyone else like this? What are your tipping standards? Do you tip less for poor service?

Just wondering!!

Missi :o)

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 10:48am
I am a big tipper as well. I almost always tip at least 20%. The other day, I went out to lunch with a friend. My meal was less expensive then hers, plus she had ordered a kids meal for her son. Her bill was more than mine, but I left a bigger tip than her. She tips MAYBE 10%. I just can't do that! I figure that these people have to support themselves and their families! Plus, we frequent the same restaurants over and over, KWIM?

Service has to be REALLY poor in order for me to cut down the tip!

~Jen~

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 3:09pm
I'd say we are faily average. I usually leave a "decent" amount, even if the service is bad. One time back in Georiga, we ate at Chick Fil A (yes, in Georgia, they had sit down Chick Fil A restaurants) and it was bunch of high schoolers gossiping and NOT waiting on us. I swear that's the ONLY time I didn't leave ANYTHING. I figured that they weren't supporting a family and just looking for money to buy their Abercrombie stuff - and they didn't earn it -- so we weren't giving it to them.

But yes, I think about things similiar to your husband -- many women who wait are single and may have young kids - or even going to school, so I always leave them a tip. I am probably not in the 20% range, but around 15% or slightly higher.

Sometimes if service is REALLY bad, I will leave only 10%. FIL always leaves a bif tip regardless too.

Barbara

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-12-2003 - 9:13am
We are big tippers here. DH always tips at least 15%, usually it ends up being 20% or more. If we have an excellent waitress, he'll leave more. If we have awful service, he'll tip less. If it's REALLY bad service, he'll talk to the manager, but still leave a decent tip. Both of our parents are big tippers as well, but our sisters and their DH's are not. My sister's DH actually has a tipping card that he refers to every time they eat out, so that he doesn't tip more than he has to, can you believe that? And DH's sister tips the very minimum, because as she says, they're strapped for cash. Don't even get me started on her, LOL!

Kelly

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-13-2003 - 8:36am
Good question!

I feel like I am a big tipper. Not as big as you, though, Missi! LOL! I guess I usually calculate 15% and then if service was satisfactory, I'll throw in a couple of extra dollars. Sometimes I'll make a point of telling the server what a good job he/she did.

If service is poor, I will tip accordingly. A tip, to me, is an award, a way of saying "thank you" for a job well done. If the kitchen is slow and things are going wrong that the server can't help, I don't tip less for that. If I ask for coffe and it never comes or my food is wrong and the server never comes back to check, then I tip way less.

Interesting!

~Heather

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-13-2003 - 9:20am
What is KWIM?

Sandra

Mom of Moira, Sarah &

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-13-2003 - 9:37am
I agree. DH and I tip more like 20% especially if we go to the restaurant often.

You get to know the staff and they like to see you come back.

Then I think you get better service.

Sandra.

Sandra

Mom of Moira, Sarah &

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-15-2003 - 9:01am
I used to waitress and I have to ask, "where were all of you then", LOL. I usually tip in the 20% range and when service is bad I tip according to what went wrong but I can't ever recall leaving nothing. I sometimes tell them or their manager for both the good and bad service. All of my friends were waitresses at one point too, so we are a servers dream to wait on:) I do have to say I was a cocktail waitress mostly and you cannot believe the number of people who will give a $1 for a round of 6 drinks, men on expense accounts where the worst (like I said, wish Missi's dh would have been the norm)because they'd add up a tab all night and then tip 10-15% on that, problem is, you've been and brought drinks to that table anywhere from 10-20 times (people never order together) depending on the size of the party and how long they stayed and 10% is not a fair tip in that case. Women were the best tippers because they all paid individually. I could not believe the amount of people who held out their hand for the quarter from their drink and would tip you a dollar at the end of a 6 drink night! Christol who is actually thinking of maybe waitressing again this summer for some extra cash:)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-24-2003 - 10:32pm
Oh yes, working in restaurants all our lives- and now owning one... we are HUGE tippers. Atleast 30-35%- and if we go and eat at our own restaurant- or know the person who waits on us, it's more like 50-75%. But that's just us. I know that there's an almost silent code about tipping someone you work with- tip big- it always comes back to you in the end.

Oh- and the whole poor service thing- if it is truly awful, I go down to about 15%- but I also speak to the manager/owner. If they don't know there's a problem, it can't be fixed. Same with problems with food- if the food is cold or takes too long to come out- that most likely is a kitchen thing. It isn't the server's fault (usually). And the hard thing about the kitchen is that the folks in there are paid salary or hourly, so it isn't as much of a concern to them how quickly a table gets their food. I won't penalize a server for problems like that, but I will speak to a manager about it. From personal experience, I would much rather have a person alert me to any problems (and thus let me make it better) than go home unhappy and spread the word to everyone they know that they had a terrible time at my restaurant.

Kimberly

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-01-2003 - 1:11am
My tipping habits are about like yours. We pretty much go 20 percent and round to the nearest dollar (or stick to the fives and tens since it is easier to figure out the checkbook that way, lol). Dh will also not tip less for bad service. Actually, I generally don't either. But he does judge a waitress by seeing if his drink ever gets empty/bone dry, lol. He usually only needs one refill at some point during the meal and to him, a good waitress will refill soon enough that it never reaches the ponit of him sucking ice water, lol. BUT, we had our first tipping less experience the other day. We went out to eat and had an awful waitress. She forgot to bring out our appatizer, we kept reminding her, we ended up getting it AFTER we were almost done with our meal and it was COLD as could be. I wanted her to take it back and take it off of our bill (what good is an appitizer AFTER a meal anyway?) but dh said not to worry about it. She disappeared for a half an hour with NOBODY in sight for us to flag down. I could understand if they were busy, but there were just us and two other tables. (we go at odd times b/c it is easier with the kids, rather then the long waits and tons of people during regular times) Dh was actually only going to leave her five dollars (our bill was 60, lol) which is suprising b/c he doesn't usually get upset by stuff like that. But we ended up leaving her just a little more then ten percent anyway (we compromised, lol) but really, that was more then she deserved. (oh, did I forget to mention that she didn't bring any ketchup for the girls fries AT ALL, even after we asked THREE times and she didn't bring tarter sauce until AFTER I was done eating it, and I HATE fish without tarter sauce, lol) BUT I still feel guilty....I think like your dh...what if she has a family to feed.....Christy
signature