Requesting prayers for my friends....

iVillage Member
Requesting prayers for my friends....
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 8:19am
Jeff and Karri are in our care group at church (group of 7 couples from our Sunday School class....We get together one night a month....currently we are discussing the book "Sacred Marriage" which I highly recommend)

Anyhow, last Memorial Day, Jeff and Karri were up north with their four kids (currently 9th grade, 7th grade, 4th grade, and 1 yr old) Jeff got a terrible headache that wouldn't go away. Long story short, they ended up rushing him to emergency. He was diagnosed with a brain tumor. At that time, they told him it was terminal, although they would do surgery to buy him some time. He had the surgery and chemotherapy and has been doing really well. He is really the nicest guy you could ever meet.

He had an MRI last week, and we found out that he has two new tumors in the front of his brain. Apparently, the kind of cancer he has is the most aggressive kind. These tumors are inoperable. They are going to do radiation, and he is looking into alternative therapy.

Yesterday, the girls (the 7 wives) took Karri to the mall and paid for her to have a pedicure and a manicure. We were supposed to get together anyway, but Karri didn't want to just sit around and cry. So we kidnapped her to do something fun. They are such wonderful people...all we can do is trust that everything happens for a reason. They have stated if Jeff has to go through this (and eventually die!), it is worth it if even one person comes to Christ as a result. Can you imagine having that kind of strength? Wow....they just continue to amaze me.

The doctors have told them that Jeff probably has about a year to live. I pray that God will give him more time. I want little Haley to remember her Daddy. I feel so badly for their girls. This is a very stressful time.

Please keep them in your prayers,

Thanks,

~Jen~

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 8:43am
Oh, Jen. Hugs to your friends.

I suggest that your friends make videos of Daddy as long as he is feeling and looking good.

The one yr old can then watch daddy as she grows up.

My neighbour had this type of cancer and he did die last October. His kids are university age, but it doesn't make it any easier.

Your group sounds like great friends.

Sandra.

Sandra

Mom of Moira, Sarah &

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 9:23am
They will be in our thoughts. It is hard to lose a loved one. I hope they are able to spend the time they want with him over the next while.

HUGS

Christine, Teaghan & Sky

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 11:17am
How incredibly sad. Just makes you remember how precious life is. *sigh* Your friends will be in our prayers. ~Carmen

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 11:46am
Oh Jen! I'm so sorry to hear that!! (uh, oh...more bursting...) Their strength is amazing, and I'm certain that with that kind of strength and faith, many people will be touched and changed forever! I'll keep them in my prayers...what an unimaginably horrible thing to be dealt.

My best friend's (since we were 5) dad died 2 years ago, with a brain tumor. He was in his mid 40's, and had 4 sons ~ one still being in highschool. I practially grew up at their house, so his dad was closer to me than most of my uncles! It's things like this that make me want to retreat back to childhood. I'm not ready to be "grown up", and have to deal with things like this! It was very close to home. Even now, I go over to their house when we go back home to visit, and it's just wierd. Empty...

They've got a long road ahead of them. Hopefully they can pull strength from all the prayers said for them. My heart aches for them.

(((Missi)))

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 4:59pm
That is just so sad, I'll keep them in my thoughts. Christol
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-24-2003 - 10:41pm
I can't believe I didn't post to this before- I thought about it so many times, I guess I just *thought* I had.

How terribly sad! They sound like wonderful and strong people. Thank goodness they have friends like you to lean on- and who are able provide some fun during this extremely difficult time! Keeping Jeff and Karrie in my thoughts and prayers...

Kimberly

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-26-2003 - 8:59am
Oh, Jen! What a scary time for that whole family! I will definately be praying.

I have a website address to pass on to you to pass on to that family. I have to e-mail a friend to get it though... I'll do that right now.

~Heather

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-26-2003 - 9:47pm
Oh Jen, that's incredibly sad. I am not much help with something like this -- my granfather passed away 11 years ago from a brain tumor, about 2 mos after diagnoses. He was 72, however. As I have mentioned, I wasn't close to my father, so my grandfather was the closest man I had in my life. I was devestated when it happened -- much more so than when my father passed away. To this day, Oct 29th (the day he died) and Halloween (the funeral) are extremely emotional days for me.

What I can wish him and his family is peace -- it's an incredibly hard time and can be stressful, emotional and hard to handle. I hope that they can move forward with strength.

Love,

Barbara

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-28-2003 - 2:58am
Jen, they have been in my prayers every day since I read this. And they will continue to be in my prayers. I hope God continues to grant them the stregth they need to make it through this. Sounds like he is doing a good job of that so far though.

Reading this reminded me of when my friend lost their baby right after Taeya was born. They are such amazing people and I remember talking to Shannon a LOT after Christol passed away. One thing that gave her stregth was knowing that her little girl had such an impact on people lives during the time she was here. She was able to get people who had never prayed to do just that. My friend found peace and strength in knowing that 12 people were saved at her funeral. They know without a doubt that their daughter did just what she was brought here to do and they feel honored to have been a part of it. I have such admiration for them b/c truthfully, I don't think I could be that strong in the face of what they went through. Your friends sound like they have that same type of strength and faith. They will never be far from my thoughts and prayers.....HUGS to you to.....Christy

signature

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-28-2003 - 4:09pm
Praying for their family. God bless.
Photobucket