Do you leave your munchkin with a sitter yet?

iVillage Member
Do you leave your munchkin with a sitter yet?
Fri, 08-31-2012 - 5:10pm

Not sure if any of your babes are in daycare or not, but was wondering if you have left him/her with a sitter?  I haven't, but am considering getting one soon because this momma needs a night out, lol! So far if I have gone to a movie with a friend while DH was working, or on rare occasions DH and I go out on a date (this is the crazy season for farmers, so he doesn't get ANY free time for dates until November) we have left him with a grandmother or aunt.  Where we live, we don't have a lot of babysitter options, and our regular girl is only 15.  We had no problem leaving her with our other three, as they are pretty good, they listen well and all the sitter has to do is put them to bed.  With Connor it is a different dynamic.  I am nervous she won't be able to handle the three boys AND an infant.  He is also at the fussy eating stage, where you sometimes have to nearly tie him down to feed him sometimes because he is so distracted, and at night he has some unpredictable naps before bedtime....am I being paranoid and overprotective?  What do you do when you need some time away?

Photobucket
iVillage Member

We left Maxwell with my parents already so we could do dinner and a movie for our anniversary...That was probably in June sometime.  I was kind of worried because they needed to give him his first bottle.  It didn't seem like he ate much but he was content so I guess it was enough.  As for the sitter, we have never actually left any of our kids with one.  We always utilize family, which is nice 'cause we don't have to worry about a young person being able to handle them and it is free.  I guess since your regular sitter is 15 and she does well with the others I wouldn't worry too much about the extra baby.  You could always ask her what she thinks and you could emphasize to call if there are problems and be ready to go home if needed.

Karen

"A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on."  

iVillage Member

Ironically, DH offered to take me to dinner and a movie tonight, so we called the sitter, lol! She seemed confident and said that she didn't think it would be a problem.  Connor is very easy (as long as you hold him :smileytongue:) so I am thinking it will be fine.  I am always nervous the first time, but it has never been a problem before....also, MIL lives a quarter mile away so she will be able to help out if she needs it. 

We sometimes get my mom or DH's mom to watch them, but when we are away for bedtimes, I would rather the kids be in their own beds rather than move them in the night (MIL sometimes milks at 5 AM and FIL is always in the barn) and neither of our parents wants to babysit in our home past 10 PM, and being dairy farmers we can only go for supper after chores, so have to go to the late movie. Also my MIL is very "old school' and doesn't really understand why we need to go out so much (which is ridiculous as we literally have a date every 1-2 months!) because she and FIL only worked or went to eat at the local hotel.  Going to the city to a real restaurant and a 10$ ticket movie is "extravagant" in her eyes. 

Photobucket