Eating ?

iVillage Member
Eating ?
Mon, 08-20-2012 - 5:35pm

Just curious how often everyone's lo is eating now.  Maxwell seemed to be eating every 2 hr for the longest time, recently went to every 3 hr and already seems to want to spread out the feedings even more.

Karen

"A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on."  

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: kokonek2004
Wed, 08-29-2012 - 12:52pm
Oh guppy.. My 1st son never to date has slept through the night.. He is 12.. my 2nd son only recently and he is two will sleep through the night.. Mostly any way.. She may be like them.. But, I do know babies get use to the idea of being full at bed time.. So if they wake up and do t feel full they will want to be.. I believe the paci will do the trick if this is the case.. She may just not need as much sleep like my 1st two.. All 3 of mine are EBF... Good luck getting sleep.. I know it's a struggle when the do that.. I was terrified Leah would do like my boys.. But I'm pleased to say she sleeps at least 7 hours at a time.. Eats then sleeps another 3 to 4..
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-24-2012 - 4:40pm

At least you can keep the bottle in his mouth when he's looking away.  Eventually I just have to say one more chance and if he lets go the feeding session is over.  Of course, this is after about 10 min of him going on and off.  The one thing I get a kick out of is in the morning he will keep glancing up at me even when he is latched on like he is checking to see if I'm still there:smileyhappy:

I agree that the time they STTN is completely dependent on the baby.  Usually, if I'm trying to "hold them off" I give them the paci and if they're still stirring around after 20-30 min I get up to feed them.  Sometimes though they do go back to sleep for a couple hours or more.  Then hopefully after a few nights of this he/she may sleep that extra 1/2 hr before waking to eat.

Karen

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-24-2012 - 9:20am

Connor is bottle fed and is also very distracted and chatty, lol! We always start out cuddling with his bottle (I try to do skin on skin and close contact to get the bonding like when you are breast feeding) and it starts out with him spooning around me with his bottle, but at the first sign of distraction, he turns his head and by the time we are done feeding, he isn't even looking at me anymore, his head and neck are twisted away and he is almost trying to roll away, all with the bottle in his mouth :smileytongue:  I also just increased his ounces of formula, as he was draining the little bottles with five ounces in them, and now he is using a big bottle with 6 ounces, though sometimes I give him an extra ounce after he drains that even!  I am not sure there is a formula that will help them sleep longer, though.  All four of mine were bottle fed, and my first never slept through the night till nearly a year, where my others slept through as early as 6 weeks....I think it is the baby, not the food that makes them do it :smileyhappy:

I also sometimes "hold them off", like last night, Connor woke at 3, all fussy.  I was going to feed him, but thought he shouldn't be hungry yet, so I gave him his soother and turned on his music and he went back to sleep till 7!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-24-2012 - 8:59am

I bottle fed my older two after 4 and 6 mo and I usually just increased the bottle amount if they were emptying it completely for a couple feedings in a row.  As for sleeping at night, I don't know that formula will keep her full longer.  Maxwell is exclusively breast fed and is sleeping 10.5-11hr at night.  He mostly did this on his own but a few times I would try to get him to hold off on waking up for 30 min to an hour.  Usually within a couple days I would "hold him off" and end up waking up surprised a couple hours later that he had gone back to sleep.  Maybe that would help with your little one?

Karen

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-23-2012 - 8:35pm

Maxwell chews on his hands like he hasn't eaten all day...even during a nursing session.  Sometimes I tell him he doesn't need to eat his hand 'cause the food is right there!  It's too bad Emma is spitting up so much but I've heard it looks like a lot more than it really is.  Hopefully it gets better as you start introducing more foods. 

Karen

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-23-2012 - 8:31pm

I wouldl say 80% of the time the jabbering is really cute.  The other 20% I am in a rush for dinner or lunch and just wish he would get down to business...I still can't help but smile back though :smileyhappy:

Karen

iVillage Member
In reply to: momma_leslie
Thu, 08-23-2012 - 12:10am
Sometimes Leah will eat a bit, stop, jabber and smile, then latch back on again.. when she does this it is usually a longer nursing session.. lol.. but its extremely cute I think when she does this.. Leah is fast in the morning to.. also after her bath because I make her wait.. as of today.. she took her sweet jabber jaw time all day! Yesterday and several days before.. quick eater..
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-22-2012 - 4:04pm

He has always been a distracted eater, latching several times per side, although he eats really good right in the morning when I know he is hungry.  Maybe he is ready to stretch it out a little longer since he jabbers so much.

Karen

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-22-2012 - 8:25am
Emma still eats every 2-3 hours!!! And I'm bfing. She just seems soooo hungry all the time. Im really hoping at her september 4month check up the DR will say she can try cereal! Plus she spits up A TON so I hope cereal would help with that too! And Emma will go to sleep anywherer between 9-11 and sleep till about 4 or 5 then eat and go back to sleep. Sometimes she will sleep all the way through to 7-8 but not often!
iVillage Member
In reply to: momma_leslie
Tue, 08-21-2012 - 9:51pm
Im not sure if longer equals eating more.. id think the" how much and how hard" they suck would matter.. but I have no idea.. it a great question.. Leah can draln a breasted in 5 minutes..and sometimes she wont.. but I seem to make the same amount either way

Pages