Pacifiers?

iVillage Member
Pacifiers?
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 10:59am

Mom to a baby boy? Back away from the binky. ScienceDaily reports a trio of experiments show pacifiers, well, kinda suck when it comes to the emotional development -- particularly learning facial expressions -- of young boys.

The experiments are summed up in a new studyout of the University of Wisconsin-Madison, which states that people, regardless of age, take on both expressions and body language of others.

I

Interesting! Two of my 3 boys used a pacifier until the age of one.  How about your kiddos? Do they use a pacifier?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
In reply to: cmkristy
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 9:33am
I am not sure I agree. My first two used a pacifier and I weaned them off at one, my third refused it and insisted on thumbsucking. He is now three and still sucks his thumb constantly ;( the dentist told us to discourage him but he refuses to stop. My sister had the same problem with her middle child and at age 9 can still be caught doing it. I haven't noticed a difference in emotions or facial expressions at all betwee. My first two and my third, if anything my paci babies were LESS dependant on their pacifiers because I only gave it to them at nap time or when they were sad, where my thumbsucker uses it when he is bored, tired, sad, shy, you name it. I wish I could take the thumb away like we did the pacifier!!! As a result I am pushing the paci on Connor to avoid this fight years down the road.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 9:34am
I will add that all my kids are boys...
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 1:00pm

I know what you are saying, Lisa!  You certainly can't take away their thumb!  Even though it is so cute to see a wee one sucking their thumb, I can only imagine that it is a hard habit to break!  The pacifier, on the other hand, was fairly easy to part with for my oldest two guys.  They had them for nap/bed times and when they were upset, but they weren't overly dependent on it. Good luck getting Connor to take the paci!

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 11:02pm
My oldest was a paci baby.. I took it away at before he turned to.. that was a nightmare..lol but he is fine.. now Leah is a thumb sucker since the day she was born.. as it is she will sit around and watch everyone with her thumb in her mouth.. I have tried giving her a pacing but she refuses it. I don't know what ill do.. and yes! Its very cute to see my 5 month old suck her thumb! Oh, I have a 11 female cousin who will sick her thumb when she thinks no one is watching .. I'm beginning to think the need to suck their thumbs to comfort in kids is simlar to my need to twirl my hair for the same thing..