Otis Mason Davis 10/8/10
Find a Conversation
|Fri, 10-15-2010 - 2:01pm|
I want to start off by saying that I hope that by me posting Otis' story that it doesn't offend anyone. I know it has to be difficult reading about a 2nd loss.
I also want to say THANK YOU to each and every one of you that prayed for a miracle and that has also held Sam and I up when all hope failed us. I could not be typing this right now if it wasn't for such a strong support group of angel mommies.
Otis Mason Davis 10/8/10
I went in for my normal weekly cervical check on Sept 22nd. I was 19w3d. I felt perfectly normal, no pain, nothing uncomfortable, not one single thing, excpet this very sick to my stomach feeling the morning I woke up. I am not for sure if it was my bodies way of tryign to prepare me or not. The feeling only lasted for a second and I pushed it away. As soon as my OB started my transvaginal u/s we saw babies heartbeat, he went ahead and measured it right away. I saw at the exact same time that he did that we weren't seeing a nice tightly closed cervix. He pulled the probe out right away and told me that I was in fact funneled and to get dressed and meet him in his office to talk.
At this point I was thinking ok I am most likely funneled, will be going to the hospital and have a cerclage put in and be home on bed rest for the rest of the pregnancy. It seemed like it took forever for him to come back into his office, I believe he was really trying to gain some compusure as he had become very attached to me and baby boy over the 3 months of seeing him every week.
He came in a told me that I was in fact funneled, to go ahead and go into triage and he would call the high risk doctors to come and examine me. I was still fairly calm, I wasn't in any pain, I felt no pressure, I didn't have any bleeding, and baby boy was still kicking away with a heartbeat in the 140s.
A resident and MFM examined me and determined that not only was I funneled that I was also bulging and my amniotic sac was a good half way through my vagina and from what they thought I was prob dilated about 3cm. The MFM told my husband and I that IF a cerclage was to be placed it would be a true heroic measure. She gave us some hope in sayign that my cervix was not yet "tight" around my bag of water and what she could tell I still had a bit of cervix left.
I was put into a room and was on my head all night. It was a horrible night, I felt so very helpless and scared to death. Here I was losing yet another baby. My husband and I clinged to the fact that we still had hope! (with Alexis we were given no choice but to deliver)
The next morning another MFM doctor performed an amniotic reduction and also tested my fluids for an infection. We waited for about 2 hours for the results of the fluids to come back. I was so happy to hear that I would be going into surgery to "try" and put in a cerclage.
I remember lying on the operating table and I could hear the doctor huffing and puffing. It seemed like it was taking him forever. All I kept thinking was please God let him get thet stitch in, I could not bear being alone and being told that we had no other options. I