Moving my embie to a new clinic?

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-11-2007
Moving my embie to a new clinic?
6
Thu, 03-10-2011 - 9:31pm

Hi Ladies-Need some advice. I am really upset with our clinic. Have been for awhile now. Got a message from them tonight giving us dates

iVillage Member
Registered: 08-27-2008
Fri, 03-11-2011 - 1:07pm
I don't have experience moving them but I would think it wouldn't be too hard. Maybe you could contact the RE you will be using and ask them to walk you through the process? My guess is that they've done it before...
iVillage Member
Registered: 10-06-2008
Mon, 03-14-2011 - 1:24pm

I have no experience in this area. So sorry you have to deal with this though. That is too bad about your current clinic.

 

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-11-2007
Mon, 03-14-2011 - 3:12pm

Hi everyone.

Thanks for your replies. I scheduled a consult with a different clinic, which is this Thursday. I received a recommendation from a previous client and after researching they have higher success rates than my clinic, so I figure we may as well see them to see what they say. I don't know if we will move the embryo or not, but am looking forward to having a "plan" to use if my FET doesn't work, as my clinic was discouraging me from doing another IVF, but what I now believe was a business tactic to avoid having lower numbers of successful IVF rates. Ugh. This sucks. If we are really, really impressed, though. We just may move our very precious embie. We will see.

I will keep you guys posted.

Avatar for ineedicecream
iVillage Member
Registered: 07-19-2005
Mon, 03-14-2011 - 4:20pm

Sorry to hear about your current clinic's sink into suckdom.

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-02-2008
Wed, 03-16-2011 - 9:01pm
Hi Stefanie

I don't think damage in transfer between clinics in the same town is all that likely. Our embryo's actually had to go to a long term storage facility in Nevada for storage and then back to our clinic ( the clinics policy is that they don't store for longer than one year). We live in Washington. I was nervous about this at first, but I guess transfer is not all that risky. I think that the most important part is that you trust the lab that will be thawing and handling the embryo. I read that the thawing process is very delicate and requires a lot of monitoring in order to assure they are not thawed too fast and therefore destroyed. I would worry about the labs ability to monitor at a high volume clinic!! Ask them (and any potential new clinic) what their lab's thaw rate is (our was a 90% survival rate). A clinic with a lower rate may reflect poor technique and handling.

I personally think you should look into a new clinic since you are so unhappy with yours anyway and since yours seems to be doing a lot of volume! You can ask the new clinic about the risks with transfer and who would be doing it.

Lastly, I have never heard of being given dates for an FET like that. Sounds like they do have a lot of cycles going or pending and they are trying to fit you in. With my clinic, we may have had to wait one cycle if my day 1 fell in a time when they had a lot of cycle starts right before mine. Then I could start with my next period. Never had that happen to me though.

Wish you the best. Keep us posted!!

Jerrae

Photobucket