Freaking out!! 1:160 chance of Down Syndrome

iVillage Member
Freaking out!! 1:160 chance of Down Syndrome
Tue, 03-15-2011 - 9:17pm

I'm hoping that you wonderful ladies will be able to offer me some support.

Pages

iVillage Member

Triona...I know how hard this must be for you, but try to remain positive.

TTC #1 October/November 2009

BFP December 14th, 2009 :)

iVillage Member

So sorry the test has left you feeling worried.

Photobucket

Dom & Jac - From the UK and TTC our first baby since June 2007. Our perf

iVillage Member

I know someone who was given 1:5 result and baby was born perfect.

TTC #1 since Aug 09, m/c Oct 09. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

iVillage Member

I'm sorry you're so worried, Triona! But I think you answered your own question. If you would love the baby no matter what (with or without downs), it's not worth the risk of doing the amnio. I know the factors of that risk assessment are age, hcg level, and NT scan measurement. Instead of doing the amnio, can you ask to do follow-up blood work? At 13 weeks, my risk was 1:680 which is the same risk as the amnio, but they redid the b/w at 18 weeks and my risk was lowered to something like 1:1,800. I guess my hcg was just a little too high at 13 weeks, so that along with a higher maternal age could increase your risk. I think it's the NT scan measurement that really has the most gravity.

iVillage Member
I wouldn't freak out too much, Triona. That's still a VERY, VERY small chance. Personally, I would freak out more by having an amnio because of the risk of m/c. But, that's just me. They could probably do a level II ultrasound later so they could look at some other possible markers.

I know how worried you are about not having definite answers, but if I were you, I'd do some other testing before going for the amnio. The only other thing you can do is educate yourself about down's kids and be prepared in case your baby does have it. But, I do think the chance is very small.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}
iVillage Member
I'm so sorry that you have this to worry about too now. I agree that it's still a very small chance. You've got to weigh what will be the benefits vs. the risks. And if you will love this baby no matter what, I think that shifts the scale a lot. I'll be sending you P&PT while you are trying to make this decision. Do you have another u/s scheduled? I know they looked for physical markers of Downs when I had my 20 week u/s's.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member

Your in my prayers, T...

iVillage Member

When I went in for my NT scan yesterday, the first thing the DR told us was if we get a result of 1:50, not to panic. Often it comes out with a 1:50 ratio and the baby is healhty. If it did come to that result, he'd also do an amnio with us around 18w. He then went on to say that the scan itself has more value than the blood work.

How many weeks were you when they did the NT scan? Did the measure nose bone and the fold? Is there anyway you can go in for another scan? or get a repeat blood work?

I agree with the others, don't let yourself be pressured into having an amnio if you really don't want it.

((((((((((((((husg)))))))))))))))))))))) I can't even imagine the stress you're going through, take a deep breath and try talk to your docs about having another scan done to ease your mind

Photobucket
iVillage Member

I agree with Katie. I opted out of all the testing other then the big u/s for just that reason. I am AMA and have a many many losses. I know the chance of false positives would go up becuase of those factors along. I pray that you can relax and enjoy the pregnancy till your big U/S and that there are not markers on it.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

Thank you all so much for your kind responses!

Pages