Abby and Logan arrived 34.5 weeks

iVillage Member
Abby and Logan arrived 34.5 weeks
Sun, 08-19-2007 - 10:39am

Well my babies are now 6 days old and I finally am able to spend a few minutes on the computer. ON Monday the 13th my son broke his water at 2:15 AM and I was already up and in the bathroom and I new that wasn't pee I was doing. SO I called the doc, my mom and my sister in law and we headed to the hospital. MY hubby was so nervous and my 7 yr old daughter was upset she had to wake up until I told her her Aunti was picking her up!!

They did the test to see if I really did break my water and it was a positive so the c section happened. I did very well wasn't nervous at all. Of course it's not fun nearly being tilted and knowing what's going on. But my hubby was taping it and my mom was up by my head. I just couldn't wait for it to be all over because then I'd be able to go to my room and recouperate. Out came my son LOGAN first he was crying up a storm so beautiful weighing in at 4lbs 10 oz and then came my ABBY the doc was having a real hard time getting a hold of her. He told me she was swimming up in her sac and he couldn't puncture the bag until she was out of his way. He said she was being a little "BASTARD" we all laughted!! MY OB is a very funny guy! So out came Abby with a tiny little cry and my mom said she was just staring all around quiet as can be. She weighed in at 3lbs 5 oz. So Logan was born at 5:05 AM and Abby was born at 5:08 AM!

Both are still in the NICU. They never had to go on oxygen. Logan is in an Isolet and he just needs to gain some weight and maintain good eating skills which I believe he'll be home this week.

Abby is the smallest she had to go under the lights for Jaundice but we would be able to hold her for feedings. She feeds extremely well. It's so weird to see such a little thing be fine and eating and breathing. I was very fortunate none of these 2 had to go on any kind of breathing machine or any oxygen at all!

So now we just have to wait for both to get big enough to come home. I won't sugar coat it. It's very very tough leaving the NICU. I live 15 minutes away but emotionally I can't deal w/ my babies being somewhere else. I know they are in a great place but as a mom to go home to my 7 yr old and heal for me it's rough. At least my breast milk has come in and I can pump every 2-3 hrs to get them to fatten up! I feel useful some how w/out them at home! So now I have to go see my babes but just wanted to let everyone know it's done it's over they are here and I will post pics whenever I have more down time!!
Thanks for all your well wishes over the last 34.5 weeks!!

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-19-2007 - 3:55pm
Congrats!!! I look forward to the pics! Did you get steroid shots for their little lungs?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

babies

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-19-2007 - 8:10pm

Wow Colleen, how wonderful. I just read a previous post from you on 8/7 saying you were going to have the umbilical cord listened to. Then I went further down to see they have arrived. That's so great they are doing well. Take this time to heal and rest. I know you want to be with them and you are everyday. I have never had a c-section but I have known many moms who have and it looks so painful for a mom to move around with one baby, let alone two. I am happy for you. Take care of you and your precious children.

God Bless!!

Kelley
EDD 10/8
Boy/Girl twins

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-19-2007 - 11:03pm

HI thanks for the congrats! NO I never needed the steriod shots. At 34 weeks they said there lungs are pretty well developed if there were to be any issues they may need a little oxygen. In our case non of them needed any oxygen. I was hoping to make it at least 'til 36 weeks. Today they said my son MAY be able to go home tomorrow. I want them to be 100% sure he's ready not just a hmmmm well maybe. My daughter may need a few more weeks. They love the breast milk over the high calorie formula they are giving them. I can't pump enough right now for the both so they try to give her more of my milk to speed up her growth. My son doesn't get much of it so I'm hoping to get more in!

Today the new measurements since birth (because they loose weight after birth)
He was 4lbs 10 oz at birth he lost a little and is up to 4 lb 11.5 oz
She was 3 lb 5 oz at birth and she went down to 3 lbs 3 oz and she is now up to 3 lbs 7.5 so she's doing very well w/ feedings. For a little 16 3/4" long baby!! He is 18 1/4 " long!

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-20-2007 - 3:08am

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Im so happy that they are doing so well. I too am having to mother in the NICU it so hard but the upside is our babies really are doing well. I am in the same place just have to perfect eating although my Samantha does have some small brady episodes where her heart rate slows down. She has to have a week with none of those and perfect eating Alexis just has to perfect eating. Its so hard to leave them there and I cry at least once a day. It has been 11 days so far. I am just so thankful that they arent really sick there are some very sick babies in the NICU some that have been there for months. Focusing on the positives really helps. I just wish there was a way to fast forward to the day they can come home. My best wishes for you and your family Sarah

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-20-2007 - 8:35pm

Congratulations on your new family!!! I know how hard it is to leave your babies in the NICU, but it sounds like they're doing very well and will be on their way home with you soon! That is great that they didn't need any breathing help. Good luck and keep up the pumping - that is the best thing you can do for them! I totally know what you mean about pumping making you feel useful - some days I feel like my pumping is the greatest connection I have to my babies.

Faith
Mommy to Alex and Brody, 16 days old

Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-21-2007 - 6:30pm

Congratulations! That is wonderful news!

I am gald to hear they are doing well and just need to gain some weight.

Stace

Stacie-kids.jpg picture by FFamily2
Mason--Griffin.gif picture by FFamily2

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-21-2007 - 9:03pm

Thank you for your posting. It sounds like your twins are doing great and I hope they get home to you very soon!

I will be 33 weeks on Thursday and I am beginning to freak out a bit, just worrying about everything. I am having boy-girl twins as well. I have ultrasounds every two weeks. At 31 weeks, my little girl measured 4 lbs, 5 ounces and my little boy was 3 lbs 8 ounces...I get new measurements on Thursday. I have been worried sick about the weight discrepency. I noticed that your two little ones had different weights as well. Was this the case during the entire pregnancy? Were your physicians monitoring this?

Are they telling you how long the twins will have to stay in the NICU? Are they looking for a certain weight?

Thanks so much for taking the time to listen to me.

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-22-2007 - 2:58am

Good job MOM!