should the school call 911 over a broken arm

iVillage Member
should the school call 911 over a broken arm
Fri, 09-21-2012 - 6:53am

http://www.wcvb.com/news/local/boston-north/Outraged-family-Girl-breaks-arm-at-Saugus-school-no-one-calls-911/-/11984708/16674004/-/f6yjam/-/index.html

This is a story that came out yesterday. Kind of shocked the dad is a fireman and outraged 911 wasn't called. Personally I feel 911 is for life and death stuff. Under our insurance if our carrier felt that the broken bone wasn't a true emergancy then I a have to pay for the ambulance ride and there isn't a copay I pay whatever the ambulance company charges which is most likely a few hundred dollars. Sorry not meaning to sound cheap, but the girls parents were called and the mom got there and got her to the ER. Now the break was pretty bad and the first hospital refered her to a childrens hospital but same thing would have happened if 911 was called. they HAVE to take you to the closest hospital so she is still going to need to be transported to childrens.

DS broke his finger at camp this sumemr, was a little ticked they didn't call but he said he was fine. Turns out my kid has a high tolerance for pain because it was 2 days before we actually went to the Dr. Our pedi has xray and a lab in their main office that is open late and on weekends so we ONLY go to the ER if we cannot get him in and they have these services because they understand ER copays are through crazy these days AND most community hospitals don't have a pedi on call in the ER and you are most likely going to be waiting much longer in the ER then there. My sister thought my nephew broke his foot the weekend jumping off the couch. It hurt the kid was in hysterics he couldn't walk, she was there from 6pm to 10pm they took an xray wapped said call pedi for a orthopedic referall in the morning. Turns out wasn't even sprained just badly bruised. Again in this case arm was clearly broken but if you want the school to call 911 for EVERY accident who is going to pay the medical costs????

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-22-2012 - 7:44pm

There is a risk of rare complications from compound fractures that can be deadly.  It can throw a blood clot that can cause a stroke or embolism.  I'm sure the school was mostly CYA, but it's not insane to call 911.

Gwen

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc248/gwennyc/b6yfcl.png<A href="http://s218.photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 9:41am

It depends on the break.  Some are easy for a parent to transport and some need specialized care.  Life-or-death is in the eye of the person calling the ambulance, so the insurance company would have a hard to denying payment for the ambulance for things like this.

If one of my sons had broken any bone in such a manner, I would prefer that they were transported in an ambulance with medical support.  I'd rather err on the side of caution.  Now for simple sprains, bumps and bruises, and minor cuts, ambulance isn't needed.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 3:34pm
Oh you would be Suprised what insurance companies can and will deny. I have $3500 bill we are currently fighting for treatment of his cleft they have deemed not medical. We have already paid $700 out of pocket for similar denied claims in the last year alone. I had a friend pass out her dh called 911 she was awake when they arrived but she went in ambulance to ER. She got a clean bill of health and insurance only covered the ER trip and decided since she was conscious and alert they felt the ambulance ride was not necessary and they had to pay $500 for the ride.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-18-2012 - 9:51pm
I don't think a broken arm is worthy of a 911 call, unless a bone is sticking out, or the limb is so disjointed-looking that it appears it'll need surgery. MA is so over-protective... I know I used to live there. The dad in this case may be upset that he didn't get to transport his child in his emergency 'rig'. I called 911 once because my arm was out of the joint (picture my arm raised, but stuck & VERY painful). I thought I was going to get a HUGE bill, because it was a 25 min ride to the hospital. But it was a volunteer FD, and I never got billed. like you said, you usually have to go to the closest hospital though.