Brag thread, spring 2013 edition

iVillage Member
Brag thread, spring 2013 edition
Sat, 04-13-2013 - 1:53pm

One of the most important roles a board like this can serve is as a safe place for parents to brag about their gifted kids' accomplishments. So share some brags. What are your kids up to lately? What's their latest thing? What projects and plans have they got in the works? What have they managed to accomplish recently?

Miranda

Miranda
in rural BC, Canada
mom to three great kids and one great grown-up
unschooler, violist, runner, doc 

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-15-2013 - 2:13am

Thanks! 

YDD and the entire kindergarten just completed thier zoo unit.  After a field trip to the zoo they were asked what was your favorite zoo animal.  YDD said, "The Okapi."  As you may have already figured out, she was the only one to select the Okapi. ;)  So while the other children worked in groups, she worked alone.  The school has a great library, but no materials on the Okapi, so to the internet both at home and school.  She designed an Okapi out of paper towel rolls, paint & felt, made a poster with drawings and facts and has books she has made with all sorts of information and  computer designs (all her).  The parents  were able to come to their Zoo exhibits and they answered questions for everyone.  Her teacher told me that YDD was asked what she liked about working alone.  She said, " I like that I was able to make all my own decisions."  

Today YDD was playing with our two 9 month old Black lab pups.  She said, "Mama you need a boy and a girl to start every life cycle."  She then explained that since we have a male and female dog...  they could start their own universe.  I'm sure you can imagine her grand plan that she explained to me.  She then danced off in her tutu and "I love nerds" T-shirt.  

We had friends from our college days come to stay last week.  They have been in Korea and Japan for 6 years and I was a bit concerned that while their children are only a bit older than our kids, their youngest is 22 months older than ODD, our kids would seem a great deal more sheltered than their kids.  ODD  (9 last month) started telling them about the different Native American tribes in great detail.  She then spoke of finding a book at the used book fair at school on Ancient Rome and how she thought that the Romans reminded her a lot of the native tribes  of the Pacific Northwest because they were rich in resources. They were a bit shocked by both of the girls.

ODD is very interested in Egypt, Rome and other ancient civilizations.  YDD wants to garden, build and cut/create.

This should be another post, but I'm tired so here goes:

How do you handle the questions/ comments about your children and their abilities? 

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-15-2013 - 11:47am

We had the opposite problem: people would tell us!   "Did you know that your son is a genius?" (ds22)  "Her craftsmanship is exquisite." (dd19).  "Everybody falls off a horse...but unless it happens soon, she may not."  (dd15) ...except for the ones who assumed that my kids must be dolts because they were homeschooled.  This was not helped by the fact that they were all late readers, even the one who is gifted by any measure. 

Deborah

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-15-2013 - 12:15pm

Eldest (now 19) has completed her second year of living on her own, her first year at college. She's in a music performance program on violin and is excelling, placing in competitions and auditions in the top three or four students out of 80 violinists -- as a freshman. For those of you who know the violin repertoire, she's doing the Tchaikovsky Concerto as her first-year jury, and Brahms is on the slate immediately after -- both concerti normally reserved for students in their final years of study who have the musical and tonal maturity to make them work. She's moving apartments and is excited about that: she's been in a large house with a landlady who was fabulous when she 17 and completely on her own: took a slightly maternal interest in her from a distance, just enough to make sure she was coping okay on her own. Now she wants a cheaper place closer to school and she has looked after all the logistics herself. I'm going to get a chance to see her in about two weeks, the first time I've been able to visit her there since she left home in summer 2011: I'm flying across the country for another event about four hours from where she is, and I'll drive up with a rental car and help her move. After that she's off to India for May to help mentor within the fledgling India National Youth Orchestra program. 

Ds16 broke his foot about a month ago at dance which has been a bit of a bummer since his school semester is heavy on fitness and outdoor education. He's off the crutches now and using a walking cast, so things are getting easier. He and dd14 are into the peak season for their world music youth vocal ensemble. They had five short performances a week ago, then a full-length performance on the Tuesday, and they have another two full-length performances tomorrow, and then next week they leave for a five-day tour encompassing a couple of performances and two days at a choir festival. Then, thankfully, there's a month's break from performing as they spend time recording for their next CD, followed by a final weekend of three performances. So that's a little crazy.  (You can hear a track from their last CD at this vimeo link.)

Both middle kids were elected to the elected to the Board of Directors of the Youth Centre Society this week, two of the three youth members on the board of 7. Dd has been involved with the youth centre organization for almost 18 months, first on the Steering Committee, and then on the original board last year. This year she takes on the role of Vice President, while ds is Director at Large. These are not inconsequential positions: the Society manages a budget of over $30,000, has several employees and rents a well-equipped space on main street. Good resumé fodder, to be sure. Ds is also part of a group of three people who are planning to take on management of the large collection of computers, gaming systems, TVs and video projection systems for the community gaming club. It serves youth and adults in a village that has very little to offer by way of entertainment especially in the winter: no movie theatre, no pool, no restaurants, no arena, no recreation centre. So the biweekly gaming nights are very well attended and big social occasions for the 8- to 20-something crew. The guy who has run the club for the past four years is moving and ds, who has been co-tech'ing to help him out for the past year, will probably take over all the hardware and software tech support, maintenance and purchasing in order to ensure it continues. I'm so happy to see him taking on leadership roles in the community: he has great skills, but has temperamentally preferred to hang in the background up to this point. But people like him a lot, and he works hard, and finally he is stepping up to make things happen.

Dd10 I already bragged about below with respect to her Spanish course at the local school. She's finishing up the school's 8th grade math course at home easily and way ahead of schedule (the final exam is June 26), and is currently all keen on volunteer work at the local nursing home: she started last week and is just loving it! She socializes with the residents, reads to them, and helps out with serving at afternoon tea and with Thursday skittles games. 

Miranda

Miranda
in rural BC, Canada

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-16-2013 - 11:37am

Digital scribbling using ipad and fingers, by dd19.  (Edited to correct: dd used a stylus for less than 10% of the drawing.  It's not clear in the compressed image, but the original has an illusion of depth and distance.)

Attachment: 
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-17-2013 - 1:58pm

Miranda- SO very well said! One of the first things I thought of before I even read your post and had only seen the title was " Oh good, I feel safe bragging here!"

Keylyn- loved all 3 of your stories, especially the "okapi". My youngest son prefers to work alone too :)

M00minmama- I LOVE hearing about how musically talented your kids are! I'm going to go listen to that track on Vimeo right after I finish this reply!

Here are a couple of mine:

My youngest DS was accepted in the talented music program at school a few weeks ago. The other day, the teacher sent us a note that said " Hello, Just a quick note to let you know I think Michael is ADORABLE. He has attended two classes so far and is just a joy to teach. He is engaged, interested, and will work hard at any task I give.".  It warms my heart when a teacher takes a moment to send such positive note to the parents!

My oldest DS had an opportunity to take the ACT as a 7th grader this year. We just got a letter in the mail that his scores in a couple areas (20 in reading, for example) were good enough for him to win an award, yay! I can still remember my own ACT score of 23 and that was taking it at the "normal" time in high school so I'm sure he will far surpass mine when it takes it again in a few years. They clearly get their giftedness from their Dad who scored close to 30 on his ACT. Laughing

Lisa 

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-17-2013 - 2:00pm

Muddymessalonskee- I missed your post in my reply somehow! Holy moly, I cannot get over your DD's "digital scibbling"! Wow! I seriously can barely draw a stick figure!

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-18-2013 - 1:15am
Beautiful! Miranda

Miranda
in rural BC, Canada

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-18-2013 - 7:37am

DS was still up 2.5 hours after bedtime last night.  Asked him what was up, why couldn't he sleep?  Answer:  I HAVE to see how the story ends! Odysseus is in Ithaca, but they have to battle the suitors! (he only started The Odyssey the day before--he's 7.  Not assigned reading, his choice for leisure.)

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc248/gwennyc/b6yfcl.png<A href="http://s218.photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-21-2013 - 5:49pm
Gwen, has your son already gone through all of Greek mythology? There's so much there for a lover of stories. It's really cool reading everyone's stories. I get reminded of just how unique every child's path is. What my DDs are up to: DD 14 just got back from a trip to Zurich with the European Honors Orchestra. She said it was fabulous. I'm very proud of her mature, thoughtful nature. She's quietly assertive, loyal, absolutely down to earth. Oh yeah, and she debates with her English teacher. Her Odyssey of the Mind team won the Renatra Fusca Award in the nationals this year for the second year running. I am really proud of her contibutions and her teamwork. She has a real knack for comic acting, which IMO is tough for a girl to pull off. DD2 is plugging right along. She is working on a children's CD with a musician and is making great contributions. She persuaded him to change to a "friendlier" key on one song, changed the words on another to "sound better" and added her own violin solo to a third. At the same time she's still plugging away at the violin. Her newest piece is a piece called, I think, "The Bee." But I'll be honest- the thing which made me proudest of her recently was the way she made a homemade fruit salad for the family with a variety of delicious fruits and a lime "dressing" with calm self-confidence, not forgetting to pick up after herself and do the dishes afterwards.
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-22-2013 - 1:45pm

I love this thread.  DS6 is going through a big growth explosion - both intellectually and physically.  So there are a lot of things I could put down.  But like the pp, I think the most astonishing are the independent pieces.  He reorganized my pantry last week so he could have an area just for his snacks and breakfast items.  "Now I can fix my own breakfast!" - and he does.  He planned and fixed dinner last week too - pizza with a storebought crust.  He even turned on the oven to get it started before prepping the pizza.  Obviously, I handled the oven pieces once it became warm.  But he sauced and topped the pizza, then set the timer to tell me when to go get it.  We haven't mastered the whole clean up process yet, but he did try.

Pages