Brag thread, spring 2013 edition

iVillage Member
Brag thread, spring 2013 edition
Sat, 04-13-2013 - 1:53pm

One of the most important roles a board like this can serve is as a safe place for parents to brag about their gifted kids' accomplishments. So share some brags. What are your kids up to lately? What's their latest thing? What projects and plans have they got in the works? What have they managed to accomplish recently?

Miranda

Miranda
in rural BC, Canada
mom to three great kids and one great grown-up
unschooler, violist, runner, doc 

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-26-2013 - 1:57pm

My son is handling all the medical appointments and bad news with maturity and positivity and continues to learn so much every day without any help from me.  Unschooling works really well for him.  

He was told that he can't do a lot of the things he looked forward to doing for the rest of his life, but having read Science Daily for years with all the articles about advances in medicine he knows there is a good chance that he can live a long life, that some of his issues can be fixed, and that he will live with less pain once he gets through the spinal fusion surgery and the recovery period.   Since the pain has continued to get worse and  affects his quality of life, he knows there really is no choice but to have the surgery.  He is trying to be positive about it.   Sometimes this is hard to do, especially when he sees the bad drug commercials targeting people who have had serious problems with the surgery, but he is finding ways to distract himself and one of the best ways is to learn lots of interesting things every day.   He finds the best educational videos and then shares then shares his favorites with me. 

One of the things he should be able to do again about six months after surgery is musical theater.  Dance is one of the activities that is recommended with this disability.  He just can't push himself physically because of a recently discovered heart condition.  It makes me sad that there are so many ignorant, judgmental people in our small town who think boys that dance and do musical theater must be gay and that being gay is a horrible sin.  

Pages