Brag thread, spring 2013 edition

iVillage Member
Brag thread, spring 2013 edition
Sat, 04-13-2013 - 1:53pm

One of the most important roles a board like this can serve is as a safe place for parents to brag about their gifted kids' accomplishments. So share some brags. What are your kids up to lately? What's their latest thing? What projects and plans have they got in the works? What have they managed to accomplish recently?

Miranda

Miranda
in rural BC, Canada
mom to three great kids and one great grown-up
unschooler, violist, runner, doc 

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-15-2013 - 2:13am

Thanks! 

YDD and the entire kindergarten just completed thier zoo unit.  After a field trip to the zoo they were asked what was your favorite zoo animal.  YDD said, "The Okapi."  As you may have already figured out, she was the only one to select the Okapi. ;)  So while the other children worked in groups, she worked alone.  The school has a great library, but no materials on the Okapi, so to the internet both at home and school.  She designed an Okapi out of paper towel rolls, paint & felt, made a poster with drawings and facts and has books she has made with all sorts of information and  computer designs (all her).  The parents  were able to come to their Zoo exhibits and they answered questions for everyone.  Her teacher told me that YDD was asked what she liked about working alone.  She said, " I like that I was able to make all my own decisions."  

Today YDD was playing with our two 9 month old Black lab pups.  She said, "Mama you need a boy and a girl to start every life cycle."  She then explained that since we have a male and female dog...  they could start their own universe.  I'm sure you can imagine her grand plan that she explained to me.  She then danced off in her tutu and "I love nerds" T-shirt.  

We had friends from our college days come to stay last week.  They have been in Korea and Japan for 6 years and I was a bit concerned that while their children are only a bit older than our kids, their youngest is 22 months older than ODD, our kids would seem a great deal more sheltered than their kids.  ODD  (9 last month) started telling them about the different Native American tribes in great detail.  She then spoke of finding a book at the used book fair at school on Ancient Rome and how she thought that the Romans reminded her a lot of the native tribes  of the Pacific Northwest because they were rich in resources. They were a bit shocked by both of the girls.

ODD is very interested in Egypt, Rome and other ancient civilizations.  YDD wants to garden, build and cut/create.

This should be another post, but I'm tired so here goes:

How do you handle the questions/ comments about your children and their abilities? 

Photobucket

Pages