Friday Homeschool Moms Recess 3/15

Community Leader
Friday Homeschool Moms Recess 3/15
Fri, 03-15-2013 - 1:31am

Hey moms and grandmas, come on out and play.  It's recess time!

Well dh got a most unexpected call yesterday.  The county road commission offered him a position as weighmaster for the county.  They'd already called his former department, plus the road commission in that county, and got glowing recommendations from his having done a similar job there...without his even knowing it!  Now that's the kind of job you'd like to have, where they come asking you to do it!  He really loved motor carrier enforcement when he did it before.  Having been a truck driver before he was a police officer, he both understands the rigors of the job, and also knows every excuse in the book that they might try to use on him, LOL.  Anyway, he has a meeting today to talk it over and see what they're offering and what they want from him.  This would be in addition to the job he already has, though he would probably do some hours juggling.  We'll see.  Being a county position, I'm sure they'll pay him more than the greedy little town where he works for a pittance now!

The kiddos have ceramics this morning, and then I'm guessing ds and poppa will finish rebuilding the syrup fireplace.  It ended up being a good sap day yesterday...despite what the weather forecasters predicted for the day...so they have 30+ gallons to cook at some point.  The ice still hasn't gone out of the river, though the level has dropped quite a bit and the ice dam doesn't look so much like a dam anymore because it lowered with the river.  Very interesting jams...there are three of them that we know of, close to our house.  Usually when the ice goes out, it's gone.  Getting stuck like this...and staying for so many days "after the ice went out"...is unique.

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-15-2013 - 12:13pm

Science observation is always good entertainment, oh how the ice will flow! Good luck to your dh on the job oportunity. It is nice when you are asked to work a job, rather than having to find one yourself. It usually means they know you are the best choice and so seeking you out is for there benefit as well as yours. Still it is time management, and money manaegement, all to consider.

The crazy cold virus is bugging me today, low energy scratcy throat stuff. I am working but slower and with less lets do jumping jacks, sing or dance around moments! So we will do more computers and stuff. She read to me, her new tree house choice...one I have not heard so enjoying it more. I am skipping reading to her in effort to get rid of scratchy throat before it becomes can not talk throat. I think for Spring I may have someone come do a professional cleaning job to get stuff I must forget to clean, seeing the viral load has been so heavy for us thru winter season. I do clean...like nuts it seems with illness around. Yet sometimes having someone else do it with a new view of your space, catches things you might miss, in living in the smae space!  Seeing we are not going away for a Spring break trip, we should be able to find a way to pay for a good cleaning. We may do some Spring break field trips and fun activity but no trips are planned.    

TGIF....again, I just want rest more than much else!

Heather 

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-15-2013 - 2:18pm

Congrats to DH.  I hope it all works out.  It's nice to be wanted. 

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-15-2013 - 2:27pm

Well the salon was a definite NO.  The stylists all had over-processed bad hair.  I am very glad I did a free consult rather than just book an appointment.  My search continues. 

Lazy day here.  DS has been building all day and DH has been working and I've been relaxing.  I did get Zeph signed up for outdoor tennis.  I can bring the pups and walk while he has lessons.  Nice for them not to be crated.  We've got a month for it to warm up!  We took the day off of school. 

Community Leader
Sat, 03-16-2013 - 8:15am

turtleemom wrote:
<p>Well the salon was a definite NO.  The stylists all had over-processed bad hair.  I am very glad I did a free consult rather than just book an appointment.  My search continues. </p>

Well that's a bummer.  I've been happy with the girls at Borics...even the ones with over-processed hair.  For $40 I get a good color job and friendly people who know who I am even over the phone.  Can't go wrong there, LOL.

Sue

Community Leader
Sat, 03-16-2013 - 8:19am

DH felt that his interview at the Road Commission went well.  He interviewed with the head, assistant head, and foreman and felt that they liked him and like how he operates.  This would be 100% road commission...not split with the sheriff's department...which is ok.  It's still enforcing the laws and he'd still carry his gun and all of that.  I think they like the idea of having a certified officer doing the job.  They have to get it ok'd by their board, and didn't know if they could do an "instant phone ok" or if they'd have to put it on the agend of the next meeting, which is 2 more weeks.  So dh isn't for sure on it until then, nor is he sure of pay.  They'd like to pay him $17.xx/hr (waaaaay more than he gets paid as an officer now!) but, again, that rate would have to be ok'd by their board.  So lots still up in the air, but definitely nice to be appreciated for ability and past work experience, and sought out.  That's done wonders for his ego, believe me!

Sue

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-16-2013 - 2:34pm
Great....I will pray it works out for him! We all need an ego boost here and there. Sometimes....we need a humbling too...but either way it is good when it comes to you and you learn and grow! Heather