Friday Homeschool Recess 12/28

Community Leader
Friday Homeschool Recess 12/28
Fri, 12-28-2012 - 7:45am

Hey moms and grandmas, come on out and play.  It's recess time!

Back at work for the weekend.  Uh...what happened to the two days off?  How did they fly past so quickly...with not a moment of "mom" time?  Oh, that's right, my time is last.  <sigh>  

Nothing on today's calendar...in fact, this is the first weekend in 11 weekends that the calendar hasn't held at least one musical event (rehearsal, performance, or both) for at least one family member.  I don't think I like that...LOL.  DD spent last night at a friend's house, after seeing Les Mis with grandpa and a few other friends.  She texted me that she wants to go to lunch with a choir friend, so I think she'll be home for a little bit but not a lot.  She'd better be home long enough to clean bunny cages and find missing library books, otherwise there'll be no friend spending the night at our house tonight.  I know, mean mom...NOT.

DS is hoping daddy gets up early enough that they can go shoot his new gun again.  He loves that gun...and loves his daddy for getting him the "perfect" gun, LOL.  I wasn't home when they shot on Christmas Day, so I haven't seen him in action yet, but I hear he's quite the marksman.

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-28-2012 - 9:45am

How did they like Les Mis?  Zeph saw previews and thought it looked interesting, but after reading the sex content on pluggedinonline, I  am wary.  He's been pretty sheltered in that regard and it sounds like those scenes are rather graphic.  Plus I don't know if the first time he is exposed to sex on the big screen it needs to be in the context of prostitution.  I'd like to see the movie, I'll probably rent it...

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-28-2012 - 10:00am

It is snowing out.  Big white puffy flakes of snow.  It's covering the ground but looks wet so I don't think it will be here long.  It sure is pretty coming down.

Not a lot of plans here today.  Zeph has his day planned out, but DH and I are just going moment by moment.  I'd like to take down the tree.  Remind me next year that I would like a real tree.  I walked into a friend's house yesterday and the pine smell from the real tree was fabulous. 

Off to make some breakfast.

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-28-2012 - 12:28pm

I'm tearing DH and Zeph away form the LOTR LEgo Wiisgame.  We're taking the pups to a forest preserve for a hike.  Frodo will love it.  Buffy does not like to be out in public, so I am hoping having her new buddy along will help.  I know my men folk will be good sports once we get there.  DH feigned a work day- really, he's been playing video games all morning, hardly working. 

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-28-2012 - 9:01pm

We too kthe pups for a walk at a forest preserve.  Frodo loved it and he's great on a leash, but had a very wet belly afterwards.  Buffy has horrible leash manners and just pulls and it is not at all relaxing to take her for a walk. The scenery was beautiful and it was warm enough to snow and be warm in light winter jackets with hats and gloves. The dogs came home wiped out and the fresh air was good for us all. Way to much screen time all around this break.

After lunch I napped, DH "worked" though it sounded like watching Star Wars Lego episodes. Then it was to Target to for DS to spend some of his holiday money-new Nerf. Then we went to Toys R Us since Target was out of the Lego set he wanted. The Lego set was $20 more than at Target so he chose not to get it. Once we came home, I found it on Amazon for list price and ordered it plus a case and screen covers for his iTouch. Zeph seemed to think it was dull to spend his money on the later 2 items- welcome to growing up!

About to order pizza for a late dinner. Then I need to tear Zeph off of my laptop-he's playing Rome Total War another new purchase. This is the first holiday that we didn't require half of all his gift money went into his savings account. He's got enough in there to pay for his Associates and books even with some tuition inflation. I was hoping he would select to put some money into savings, but the $10 was significantly less than I had hoped. I bit my tongue since I told him it was up to him. We are reinstituting allowance at the beginning of the year after quite a hiatus. We recently realized that he is way behind on managing money compared to his friends. It's time to fix that. We think he should be saving some for his future, some for larger items, some for charity, and have some to just spend, we're not sure how to do it. Should he just devise his own precetage system or should he decide on a month to month basis? Currently we pay for all clothes, events, snacks at events, freind birthday gifts, etc. I'm not sure what we will require for him to take on. DH and I are unsure of how much allowance should be- enough to have money to manage, but we don't want to be overly generous. Thoughts are welcome.

Community Leader
Sat, 12-29-2012 - 8:37am

DD loved Les Miz, as did my dad.  Neither said anything about the sex scenes so I have no idea how graphic they were...or how Zeph would do with them.  If I remember, I'll ask.

Yay for the (almost) good walk, and worn out dogs and refreshed people.  I hope Buffy's leash manners improve so she can be an enjoyable walking companion.  (My Major was only enjoyable when he was off leash, which I could get away with as I had miles and miles of woods in which to walk, no leash needed.)  

It started snowing here about the time I left work Friday night (7 pm) and floated down lazily all night.  Looks like it's tapering off now.  The southeast corner of the state got a lot more than we did but at least we have more than we did.  I still see grass poking up through though, so it's not enough yet!

I'm probably cheap, but my kids each get $10 bi-weekly for allowance.  Of that money, 10% gets tithed, and the rest is up to their discretion.  They're both pretty good about saving, so I usually get a "please deposit this" request after a months.  DD dips into her savings more than ds though, since she likes to go out with friends and shop, etc.  DS seems to earn more for musical things (he just got a $75 check yesterday, on top of the two $50 checks earlier in the month!) so his savings is growing quite a bit more rapidly at the moment, LOL.  He did mention getting a Lego set...we'll see, now that Christmas is past, if he still wants to do that, or if he wants to wait until he runs out of what he has to build now, LOL.  I do pay extra for some household chores...helping with windows, shoveling/raking, etc.  Again, ds accumulates cash a whole lot faster than dd...he's a much more willing worker.  She prefers to be paid for artistic endeavors, LOL.

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting