Friday Homeschool Recess 3/29

Community Leader
Friday Homeschool Recess 3/29
Fri, 03-29-2013 - 12:15am

Hey moms and grandmas, come on out and play.  It's recess time!

Whew, you can sure tell it's full moon, LOL.  Funny because last night, also full moon, was not like this at all.  Maybe people are out hoo-hawing because they also have good friday off from work, or something?  I don't know.  But I know we're running our tushies off Wink

DS is going to clean my car for me today.  Both kids are going to start packing for AZ.  DD has a doctor's appointment.  If she needs a counseling appointment we will schedule that too.  I think that's all we have to do...besides sleep, of course, LOL.

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-29-2013 - 9:30am

Now I'm getting "You are not allowed to access this page" when I log in...had to do a google search for ivillage homeschooling after logging in...otherwise I couldn't see this thread at all! 

This morning I walked to work with dh and arranged a new temporary home for a computer that a) is in the wrong place and b) needs some repairs.  Then I walked home and made gf waffles for lunch.  The dd's and I went to town, first for duets with my chamber music buddy and then to the farther town where dd15 and I did minor shopping while dd19 helped the Art Club set up a table for a spring festival thing.  I found from the biology table that a mysterious plant that showed up in one of our aloe vera pots is called "Mother of Thousands", comes from Madagascar and is basically...invasive.  I was told that even a shred of root can give rise to a new plant.  (Ours has had the most amazing bloom thing going on, and seems to be growing what look like new plants from the blooms.)  dd16 bought two small bowls and another ceramic container that I can't really describe: a bowl?  An urn?  Some container, wider than tall, with a slightly pinched in neck.  Then dd15 and I hung around and played with Small Relative and then found ds21 (hanging out in the campus TV station which he manages...I had never seen all of his stuff) while dd19 finished her 4 color linoleum print.  We got home at midnight, having not hit a peccary that was wandered across the road at the wrong time.  For some reason the one rabbit we saw did not run in front of the car.  The cats were running around in the moonlight, but they were happy to come in because they were hungry.  So we are supposed to be in bed, but I am writing this and dd15 and dd19 are playing Runescape, which dd15 rediscovered the other day...

Deborah

p.s.  I posted this when I got home last night...only it didn't post.  I'm not sure it's goiing to post now.  There really is something seriously wrong with iv's user interface...I wonder if they know?

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-29-2013 - 9:38am

Deb,  iget the same message, but then after a few seconds, the page refreshes into the commetn window.  It is frustrating.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-29-2013 - 9:43am

It's Friday, the sun is shining and It is going to be 50 today!  I'm in a good mood!  DH is going to grill tonight for dinner.  That means going to the grocery store, but that's okay.  I think we'll grill all weekend.

Lots of school this morning and late afternoon.  DS wants to go out and play catch with his new softball this afternoon.  I want to take the pups for a walk too. 

I wanted to add that the scrap book is finished.  It turned out well.  It was a family project.  I didn the inside cutting out frames,  DS did the cutting and placing and labeling of the photos, and attaching the pages.  DH bound the book and helped DS with the cover.  It turned out wonderfully.  Now just the cartridge box to go.  While we're out today I'll pick up the vinyl for it.  That is the last of our Civil War projects and I would like it done!  Sadly my list of Civil War books to read keeps growing longer...

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-29-2013 - 1:04pm
I have had less of these issues with my new Apple laptop. Weird.... Yet, I still get the screen of your not allowed of whatever, I ignore it and nothing else happens. I can still post. It is weird and I have no idea how you tell the tech folks at I village or how long the backlog is for trouble shooting this stuff! Glad you found it back here, the village seems to have hidden pathways to find our village location! LOL
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-29-2013 - 1:27pm

Oh Jealous....wish I could be that busy, still stuck in knee pain land. Yet, I did make it to healthcare providers finally and I was doing everything right, that I could for injury....they did give me some better meds, so I relaxed and slept better....but still woke up with pain, only because I had to be up on it more to get to the Doc and to the phrmacy and the few errands, I had to do and could not give away...carpool. We missed Tennis...I had to ice and take meds...no big deal they are off for Spring break before it all starts up again. Bummed big time that it is Spring break and we can not be using this time better, due to injury.

Plus my little girls birthday is now taken over with health care and college visit outings....but we can celebrate other days. I am still going to try the shopping trip one day in the off week, with a wheel chair, because if we don't all get out....we will all go stir crazy! We are crazy enough as it is, no stirring needed!

I have been thinking of ways I could get in the pool and not kick my legs....LOL. That is how bad I missed my swim time. Plus I already gained a couple pounds being depressed, and not as active. Yet...it is still swelly sometimes, so I know I can't go in the pool until that is less. I may end up going and just watching the kids in the water, which will be real torcher for me! I am not sure I can handle that level of torcher yet. I gotta build up my endurance here!

The kids are bugging me more because I can not be busy and ignore them when they bicker, plus pain for me! I keep trying to do thinking things to keep my mind off all of it. I had a massage last night and it helped a ton with the anxiety that had built up and stress of it all. So I sit in pain limbo or meds free pain/foggy then pain, which makes me cranky! The girls have been practicing more music as I am a very captive audience just sitting here...so that is a positive to knee injury!

We may all have book club, or try and do something to keep them from bickering in the cooped up still winter house. My little one has been shoveling, just to find a reason to be outside. I feel bad....no Spring and she like me needs movement in life to not go stir crazy! She has been moving for me, to the kitchen, to the garbage can, to the front door, to let the pets out...up the stairs...so she probably lost some weight that I gained! Crazy.....I have another week of this before more Dr. x-rays and who knows what. No bone damage of preliminnary x-ray. I figured it was just ligament/soft tissue as I did not fall on my knee, but fell because it got stuck and twisted weird and the ligament/tissue around joint poped in and out of shape, as I fell weird and the force of gravity kicked my butt! Never fight with gravity, you will always loose!    So who knows how the week will go. It is now unplanned time as usual my plans are made to fail!

Heather    

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-29-2013 - 8:45pm
This was different than the usual message...the screen was not iv homeschooling messages...I was logged in but had to reenter URL for iv homeschooling and then I was able to see message board and log in. That didn't happen when I logged in just now...just the usual "you are not authorized to post comments". Doesn't anyone know about this? It's been going on for months and months...I don't log in much because of the hassle. I guess I wouldn't care if I had absolutely nothing to do all day but deal with websites managed by people who don't seem to care what the user experience is...
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-30-2013 - 9:57am

College visits- how exciting!    Did she take the SAT, ACT or both?  Are you looking local, or does she have a desire to be further away?  A friend of mine just got back from a 5 day road trip with her 2 older teens.  It sounds like they had a blast with their college tour of the Midwest.   My favorite college visit was the University of The Virgin Islands- for real!

While it messes up spring break, it is probably good that your older girls can be home to help out with the day to day household stuff.  With the one being almsot ready to fly the coop, she should be able to handle cooking meals, laundry and such.

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-30-2013 - 11:27am

She prefers to be driving distance to home, so looking more local. Yet we touch several states with in a 4 hour drive...I don't want her to be further than that away. She will want to come home and be with family for holidays and breaks.  She is just now signing up for the BIG test. Next year is senior year, she did take the pretest and so most any of the 4 hour drive colleges, we can afford should be doable for her to get into.  Seeing I am not well she is visiting with her Dad to a  local place, she is interested in. 

Yes, she is a great help around the house. Yet she has some homework she wants to spend time with so I don't want to take away that time for her to study just because I hurt myself. Plus the other two youngers are also very capable to do life skills work of household management. So we are putting them to the task as well. Even grumpy, who would rather entertain mom with piano songs, dances, and jokes that do the dishes! I feel by the time they are 10 they should be able to handle life skills work in the home, and I have taught them since they could walk how to help with household life skills jobs, cooking, clean-up and management. 

It is exciting and nervous to be sending one off into the flight of the world without us. What a huge mix of emotions and feeling at this age. Yet she has grown into an amazing, capable, smart, creative child and I am amazed by her talent on a regular basis. Everything I ever wished for her she has grown into to become and do even better than my dreams for her. Ok...gotta stop thinking about it....or I will start to cry.I can't wait to see her grow up even more in the early adult years. She is a great human being....that I created, nurture and love!

Heather    

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-31-2013 - 9:06am

Is she looking at state universities or private liberal arts colleges?  Does she have any idea what she would like to major in?  I can imagine this is such an exciting time.  I know it will be here in the blink of an eye for us! 

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-31-2013 - 12:01pm

She is really worried about the money. She also is not sure how much she will be able to make with the job she wants in a difficult competitive field, plus I already told her she will need a 6 year degree to do what she wants and find success....so loads of cost. So currently we are looking at State colleges, plus we have paid into a program for state colleges, so have some help for her and bills with it. Yet she knows she will also need loans and all to complete her education. She is looking into Art/business/museum studies type major/minor studies.  Yet she is not 100% sure, of it. SO again maybe starting at a state school. SHe has a great aptitude in art and does well creating it, but looking for a job to allow more lifelong study of her craft...and she loves field trips....so why not live in a place of forever field trips! LOL...Home schooled kid wants to live a field trip life, of museum studies! Did I take her on to many field trips? LOL!

Heather :)