Friday Homeschool Recess 4/19

Community Leader
Friday Homeschool Recess 4/19
Fri, 04-19-2013 - 8:45am

Hey moms and grandmas, come on out and play.  It's recess time!

Back to work for the weekend.  The flood forecast has reduced again (from 34' initially to 28'3") but that's still significant.  We're on the border of getting wet around our building, though probably not in the building.  (At 34' we would have.)  My parents and our neighbors should be safe at this level.  I'm sure my dad's shed (by his garden) will get wet, but it's empty and anchored.  Let the water rise.  We are ready.

The kids are off to ceramics in a few minutes.  Somebody's alarm didn't go off, and somebody else doesn't bother to set an alarm and expects somebody #1 to be the alarm, so nobody at home is happy with each other.  Oh well, they'll get over it.  If they don't, I have chores for them to do, LOL.

Co-op looks like it will offer some useful (for us) classes next year.  DD is going to take chemistry and sign language.  Algebra II may be offered...or there may be tutoring available because it sounded like only a couple of kids need that math.  DD would probably just prefer tutoring, since our curriculum is free for us to use and she's comfortable with it and not really wanting to switch to something else because the teacher says to switch.  They're talking about world history, but she really already has that, so we'll have to think on that.  DS is going to take physical science for sure.  They're talking about doing Mystery of History for the middle schoolers...but he's not so sure about that.  He was looking forward to Sonlight world history (core G and then H the next year) based on our descriptions of the books used...and obviously we already pretty much have that plus we like Sonlight.  So, I wouldn't force him to do MOH...we'll just have to play that one by ear.  I did talk to the science teacher and she's pretty relaxed as far as format.  She does some oral review in class, but focuses on the experiments and concepts.  The bookwork is up to whatever the parents want to do at home.  That's a good approach for us, I think, since I have a right brainer who struggles with science, and a child that is allergic to writing Wink

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-19-2013 - 9:22am

Yeah...co-op Science is best to just run the experiements, then have the kids do Q and A...while the main educators as home to the reading/writing and other stuff. Just the observation of the experiement or them helping run the expereince of it, teaches a ton and they can think about that as they read learn more at the at home classroom. The year we did physical Science with my oldest, I still had the younger ones observe our experiments and do Q and A. They learned a lot even without the text reading part....ofcourse older dd learned more....but it works great for multi aged students! Our co-ops around here did not offer a lot more than what I was already doing at home. We went mostly for the community aspect, to hang out with other kids who also home schooled, more than a ton of edu. I love homeschool gym stuff cause the kids really enjoy that together and can do much more with more kids....plus I got a physical break, there! But, they also take community classes like dance cause I will never be a ballerina or teach that well! Plus the community recital is awesome,  put kids on a stage and let them run the show, feel control of something in life!  

I kept one kid home today. She woke up late and cranky so she needed to go back to bed....so I sent her there. My other one wants to go to the pool. So may try to get there. My weekend plans are to hide out in my room in bed as much as possible. Try to rest, heal all that. I get so bored that I don't stay there long, yet...I keep pushing myself with the  physical therapy, so pain has me not concentrating to do anything else. Then my body protest...but I do not listen well! I don't do forced rest well.  I am a wreck. A real mess. LOL    

Heather  

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-19-2013 - 10:31am

Zeph is still coughing and it is still a moist rumbly cough- no fever though.   We'll head to the doctor at noon.  

I've got biscuits in the oven to make Dad McMuffins.  Zeph is working on his online history program.  We'll work on vocabulary, AP history flashcards, and math too.  We'll still reading Wizard of Oz- it got put on the back burner as we've been reading disaster books about 20th century events for his lapbook- I'd like to finish it this weekend. 

I need to go grocery shopping.  Zeph requested homemade chicken noodle soup which I can cook today for tomorrow's dinner. It's always better after sitting for a day in the fridge.  Hoping DH can make time to deep clean the bathroom today.   

Tonight is flashback to the 80s.  Zeph has his first break dance class.   I'm hoping the doctor days he can go.  I remember the boys breakdancing on cardboard at the bus stop in middle school:)     

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-19-2013 - 2:02pm

I'm glad we went to the doctor.  Poor kid has bronchitis.  She said his lungs were border line sounding to warrant an xray to confirm/deny pneumonia, but since she would treat it with the same antibiotics, we declined the xray. He's taking a steamy shower and going to do some more school work and then veg to a WWII documentary.  I still plan on his attending dance class tonight unless he doesn't feel up to it. 

Community Leader
Fri, 04-19-2013 - 2:52pm

Hope the antibiotic kicks in fast.  Glad you got him in, since he's so borderline!  Break dance class sounds like fun...hopefully he'll feel well enough to participate and enjoy it.  Has he done it before at all, or is this completely new?

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-19-2013 - 3:07pm

This is totally new.  He has a friend whose church has a tween hip hop group (Holy Hoppers).  This friend is taking the YMCA class and the mom asked if Z would like to try it too.  My child has his strengths and rythym is not one of them.  If they break it down to counts, he'll be fine, but if it feel the groove kind of instruction ...  I do love that he is open to new experiences.   

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-19-2013 - 6:20pm
Get well soon Z. I just have a cold but I am already feeling better. Just mucus/little cough...no fever nothing bad. It kicked up last week but I feel better after being a sloth. My friend from high school who has home schooled her kids is sending me a graduation announcement, he also choose to go to high school. So excited we will both have two prior Home educated kids in college soon. We both feel that extra pride of having done a lot of the work ourselves. She has one who may end up home schooled....his teacher is having hell with him as a kinder kid. Geez....teachers! I could handle him, why don't teachers know how to handle smart kids? He is so adorable too! Heather